BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

06-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 MCB ///M5

Why I went from M3 to C63 to M3, then the C63 again. What about you? Why?

Before I start, I want to ask you guys a question... If all the M3 vs C63 reviews did not do tests on the track and only normal driving, who would win?

Well...I started with the M3, then to the C63, then back to the M3, then might finally stay with the C63 now.

If I get a M3 I would get a coupe, because the sedan just seems too normal to me. The ///M, and the coupe look are just really attractive. I don't have kids, but I do go out with my friends a lot. Having a four door car will always be better. I mean I can take my friends out with the M3 coupe, but they will complain. And just imagin people climbing in and out of the coupe, they will step on things (the car) and make a mess. Plus, I have to get out eveytime the pessenger gets out.

I went to my local Merc dealer a couple days ago to look at the C63, and I asked the agent to start the car for me and "WOW". The sound actually scared me for a sec, I knew it was going to be loud but not this loud! It's so loud and mean. It sounds like a Ferrari but louder. If you haven't heard the C63 in person, you have to go and listen to one! Just plain "WOW". The car might not be as attractive as the M3 coupe, but it is better looking than the M3 sedan. The one I saw was balck BTW. It's really nice looking and mean! The C63's interior is nicer than the M3's in my opinion. I can take people in the C63 and not the M3 coupe. I mean who doesn't want to show off a monster to his friends.

So in the end, I picked to C63. The M3's selling points to me are the ///M badge and the coupe look. I don't go to the track so the handeling doesn't matter to me. The C63's selling points to me are the sound, interior, mean look, four doors, hp, and torque. The hp and torque seems like really fun to play with. I mean just imagin, after five years and you are used to the M3 coupe's look, don't you want a car (C63) that's also nice looking but more fun? The hp and torque would be really fun to play with.

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

A lot a people think the high-revving nature of the M-cars, just isn't well suited for everyday driving. But people seem to do fine.

I say, if want a coupe get the M3, if you need fours doors get the C63.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
markdds
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I haven't test driven the C63 or even seen it in person but I know that I'd like it. I asked a local dealership for a test drive but they wouldn't let me unless I signed papers and committed to buying it. No thanks. The main points for me choosing the M3: coupe and MT.

On a side note, does anyone know the estimated miles per gallon for the C63? I'd imagine it would be a LOT worse than the M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
leewoods18
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 550 M sport

I love my E92 M3- it's been more than I imagined...amazing car.

The C63 is an unbelievable ride with menacing looks and from the clips i've seen, sounds and performs great. Fine, the ride is stiff- big deal.

I was really close to getting the C63 as well and in the end, I figured it really is a win-win situation. So whatever you end up getting (or have), I am sure you'll be happy. good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 12:45 AM   #5
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
good for you, i am not a merc lover but your car is aight.

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 01:05 AM   #6
bigbadbns
like warm apple pie...
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Sparkling Graphite

Garage List
nice car! which dealer did you get your c63 from?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 02:24 AM   #7
440hpe46
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

What I do not understand are people who say they do not track their car or that the M only wins the comparos due to it's track prowess and then say they do not need the handling aspect of the car but need more HP/Trq for everyday street use where they can never use that much power (unless on a track) and could benefit more from handling...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 02:25 AM   #8
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

Transmission was a HUGE turnoff for me and its not as good as the DCT. Also the whole thing with the traction control

But both cars are amazing and grats on the new car! Post some vids of you driving so we can hear the sound!
      06-02-2008, 04:07 AM   #9
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440hpe46 View Post
What I do not understand are people who say they do not track their car or that the M only wins the comparos due to it's track prowess and then say they do not need the handling aspect of the car but need more HP/Trq for everyday street use where they can never use that much power (unless on a track) and could benefit more from handling...
Of course I can use it. I can use it when I am at a stop light, and is able to gas it till 80-100mph in such a short time while feeling the amazing hp and torque. I can use it when I go 140-150+, and maybe even 175 on the freeway. I know some may think it's dangerous, but a man has got to go wild sometimes! Don't tell me you never went 120-130+ with your BMW on the freeway. I went 135 (top speed) with my 335i, and I am pretty sure a M3 or C63 can go even higher and with less effort. BTW, the track is where you can't really feel the power of the car, because you have to slow down and turn before you get to high speed. Drag race is a different story. Freeway is actually where the power can be unleashed. Without getting caught by the cops of course. I love both cars, just saying why I will pick the C63. It's interior is better than the M3's, it's more fun because of the hp and torque, and it's actually a better performer unless you are a track guy. Just my opinions of course.

Last edited by eNCore; 06-02-2008 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 05:35 AM   #10
Irish Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Good choice - if I were choosing between the two I would have picked the C63 for sure...
      06-02-2008, 05:38 AM   #11
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
I was torn between the 2 cars too, but in the end I chose the M3. M3 is a well rounded car that is both fast, better handling and safe. Good value, good resale and lower cost of ownership made me pick the better choice between the two. Plus, I find that BMW crowd in this forum are more fun crowd too

Last edited by ase2dais; 06-02-2008 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #12
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-Turismo View Post
so the handeling doesn't matter to me.
this is such a funny thread. You don't care how a car handles so you of course buy the one that is worse handeling. makes perfet sense to me. Enjoy the car.

I have driven a few big TQ cars (SLR is one example and I didn't care for it either was too much TQ to put down)

High HP, High RPM car like the GT3, M3, F430 etc.. (don't have mountains of TQ so they must be inferior to a Mustang GT500 or fill in the blank other car with mountains of TQ).

I'd pick the better handeling car every day, handeling is not just for track driving, you can use it every day on back roads etc..

It's hillarious how people think the M3 is only useful for the track. It's one of the better all around cars period.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Of course I can use it. I can use it when I am at a stop light, and is able to gas it till 80-100mph in such a short time while feeling the amazing hp and torque. I can use it when I go 140-150+, and maybe even 175 on the freeway. I know some may think it's dangerous, but a man has got to go wild sometimes! Don't tell me you never went 120-130+ with your BMW on the freeway. I went 135 (top speed) with my 335i, and I am pretty sure a M3 or C63 can go even higher and with less effort. BTW, the track is where you can't really feel the power of the car, because you have to slow down and turn before you get to high speed. Drag race is a different story. Freeway is actually where the power can be unleashed. Without getting caught by the cops of course. I love both cars, just saying why I will pick the C63. It's interior is better than the M3's, it's more fun because of the hp and torque, and it's actually a better performer unless you are a track guy. Just my opinions of course.
A lot of fun that car's going to be when your "making friends" in jail. I've never gotten a ticket for "cornering too fast". I've gotten more than my share for speeding. Sadly, the things the C63 is good at you can only do so long on the roads before chance will catch up with you. When chance catches you in a C63 it will not be just a ticket at 50 over it'll be jail (you may get out of a few but eventually you'll meet a pissed off or disgruntled officer). You can go as fast as you like on a track but sadly the C63 isn't as capable on the track. That leaves the drag strip. Maybe you can find a long one and really enjoy your beast. Better yet, move to Germany and cruise the Autobahn.

It is dangerous because of the whole jails is dangerous and crashes at 140+ are dangerous thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #14
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

the c63 looks great...congratulations. really a mean looking car. i hope that you enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #15
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
congrats on ur choice. if you make ur choices based on other people then you have obviously made the wrong decision unless ur friends actually pay for your car. your cars is YOUR car, not your friends. they'd have to drive around lol

congrats, like a ferrari or louder? hmmm
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #16
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
this is such a funny thread. You don't care how a car handles so you of course buy the one that is worse handeling. makes perfet sense to me. Enjoy the car.

I have driven a few big TQ cars (SLR is one example and I didn't care for it either was too much TQ to put down)

High HP, High RPM car like the GT3, M3, F430 etc.. (don't have mountains of TQ so they must be inferior to a Mustang GT500 or fill in the blank other car with mountains of TQ).

I'd pick the better handeling car every day, handeling is not just for track driving, you can use it every day on back roads etc..

It's hillarious how people think the M3 is only useful for the track. It's one of the better all around cars period.
Here is the funny thing. Like many people said, C63 does not have bad handeling. Yes, it does not handel like a M3, but it handels well better than many other cars. This is the reason why the M3's handeling only matters on the track and not everyday driving. If you really do need the M3's handeling for everyday driving, then you are driving recklessly. It's funny how everyone thinks the C63 is one of the worst handeling car when it's compared to the M3. It's like saying M3 travels like a turtle compared to the C63, but it's not; it's still a fast car just slower than C63. C63 actually handels better than many other cars, just not the M3.

Last edited by eNCore; 06-02-2008 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #17
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here is the funny thing. Like many people said, C63 does not have bad handeling. Yes, it does not handel like a M3, but it handels well better than many other cars. This is the reason why the M3's handeling only matters on the track and not everyday driving. If you really do need the M3's handeling for everyday driving, then you are driving recklessly. It's funny how everyone thinks the C63 is one of the worst handeling car when it's compared to the M3. It's like saying M3 travels like a turtle compared to the C63, but it's not; it's still a fast car just slower than C63. C63 actually handels better than many other cars, just not the M3.
that's fair enough.

Good luck with the C63 it's going to be a lot of fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #18
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1234 View Post
A lot of fun that car's going to be when your "making friends" in jail. I've never gotten a ticket for "cornering too fast". I've gotten more than my share for speeding. Sadly, the things the C63 is good at you can only do so long on the roads before chance will catch up with you. When chance catches you in a C63 it will not be just a ticket at 50 over it'll be jail (you may get out of a few but eventually you'll meet a pissed off or disgruntled officer). You can go as fast as you like on a track but sadly the C63 isn't as capable on the track. That leaves the drag strip. Maybe you can find a long one and really enjoy your beast. Better yet, move to Germany and cruise the Autobahn.

It is dangerous because of the whole jails is dangerous and crashes at 140+ are dangerous thing.
Haha I know it's dangerous, but I am pretty sure almost 80% of the people on this forum has gone over 120-130 on the freeway before. Some even post pictures or videos. Plus, you don't need a C63 to go that fast, a M3 can do it without effort too. I just think the C63 will be more fun while doing it. If you don't want to go fast then why get a M3 or C63? Just get a 335i, but even a 335i can go 135 without effort. -.- Then I guess we should just get a Civic. When going fast, just remember not to do it too much and only when the road is clear.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 09:56 AM   #19
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
congrats on ur choice. if you make ur choices based on other people then you have obviously made the wrong decision unless ur friends actually pay for your car. your cars is YOUR car, not your friends. they'd have to drive around lol

Yup, louder than Ferrari. Just go listen to one!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #20
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post

Here I found this video for you! Listen to that!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #21
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Daily driving:
The M3 (with EDC) rides better, this is noticeable at all times.
The M3 handles better, this is not noticeable under most daily driving conditions, may avoid an accident the C63 doesn't, etc.
The C63 accelerates better, this is not noticeable under most daily driving conditions, plus the DSC engaging all the time in hard driving might be a PITA.
M3 brakes a bit better, might avoid one accident the C63 wouldn't, probably not significant

For me, that adds up to the M3 being a better daily driver. As for the dragstrip and the track, we all know which car wins both locales.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #22
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

you won't be the first person to pick the AMG over the M3. Clearly all people value things different. I owned a S2000 for nearly 6 years. when most people would not consider living with one as a DD.

It's truly great you (we) have such great cars to pick from and in this price range $60K I think we are blessed to live in a country and at a certain place in time where these cars are quite affordable to many.

I hope people don't think the M3 is the best or only car that's in the universe. We do happen to love the M3 here but I for one do not feel it so much better than the ISF, Z06, GTR, C63 etc. the list goes on.

I prefer the low-TQ high-RPM characteristics of the M3 (if you want to call 300-lb 'low TQ', I don't)

I am from the school of thought where TQ is just a factor related to HP meaning even if you have low-ish TQ but you are turning 8000+ RPMs you are going to move. I recall driving the GT3 and F430 both not far off the TQ in the M3. You could not put me into a 500-TQ car over one of those 290-340 TQ cars.

For me speed/power/TQ are not my main reason to buy the M3, in the type of driving I do on public roads. I do not wish for massivly powerful cars to drive when my speed limit is 65 (really 95) and my side roads (real world) speed is probably not any more than 65 MPH. I do not wish to get a big speeding ticket.

I am just pointing out that big-TQ numbers are not the end all and be all of performance cars, when F1 cars have less TQ than your C63 you can realize there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Appreciate 0