E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > FLUID CHANGE :e90 n52 Transmission ****Zf GA6HP192***

02-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #1
Rob27e
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 330i Sedan N52

FLUID CHANGE :e90 n52 Transmission ****Zf GA6HP192***

So I have a 2006 e90 n52 330i sedan with the ZF GA6hpa92 transmission and 165k miles.
What I do know:
Transmission fluid is not "lifetime" and mine has never been changed, (wish I wasn't so gullible in "lifetime") . The problem:
I'm debating whether to change the fluid (NOT flush) OR Just check and see if the fluid is low and refill with 1 or two liters of lifeguard6 from the fill plug. I'm at a crossroad as my mileage is high!!. After reading stories about whether it is safe to change or not I'm on the fence. I called a few INDY shops in town and they all advised not to change it ( drop pan and refill w/6 liters) as it could wreak havoc.
Two questions:
I would preferably like to hear from people who have high mileage and who have done the pan drop w/the 6liters or who have topped of the fluid.
Any problems after??? weeks , months or even a year later? (blown tranny, slipping etc..) Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #2
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
Definitely change it. Indy shops do not want to be "liable" if the tranny has issues with it after the fluid change. First slightly loosen the drain bolt, let some fluid out, then tighten it back up. If you see metal bits, then do not change the fluid and just top off. Otherwise loosen the bolt and do a fluid+filter change. DO NOT FLUSH. In a BMW you should reset the tranny adaptations with ISTA after you change the fluid. Many mechanics sadly don't do this.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
N54_e90
Don
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 335xi Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbeeguy View Post
Definitely change it. Indy shops do not want to be "liable" if the tranny has issues with it after the fluid change. First slightly loosen the drain bolt, let some fluid out, then tighten it back up. If you see metal bits, then do not change the fluid and just top off. Otherwise loosen the bolt and do a fluid+filter change. DO NOT FLUSH. In a BMW you should reset the tranny adaptations with ISTA after you change the fluid. Many mechanics sadly don't do this.
Any steps on how to do this?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 10:08 PM   #4
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob27e View Post
So I have a 2006 e90 n52 330i sedan with the ZF GA6hpa92 transmission and 165k miles.
What I do know:
Transmission fluid is not "lifetime" and mine has never been changed, (wish I wasn't so gullible in "lifetime") . The problem:
I'm debating whether to change the fluid (NOT flush) OR Just check and see if the fluid is low and refill with 1 or two liters of lifeguard6 from the fill plug. I'm at a crossroad as my mileage is high!!. After reading stories about whether it is safe to change or not I'm on the fence. I called a few INDY shops in town and they all advised not to change it ( drop pan and refill w/6 liters) as it could wreak havoc.
Two questions:
I would preferably like to hear from people who have high mileage and who have done the pan drop w/the 6liters or who have topped of the fluid.
Any problems after??? weeks , months or even a year later? (blown tranny, slipping etc..) Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Here's your answer

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 07:15 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

My sister had a 2004 X3, 2.5L with the ZF automatic in it. At around 145,000 miles, she was having a problem with the trans not shifting into gear until it was fully warmed up. She had never changed the transmission fluid. I sent her to a trusted BMW shop near her home (we live in different states) and had the transmission fluid changed. I had this same discussion with the shop owner who I've known for the better part of 25 years. The shop BG flushed the trans and replaced the plan and filter. It solved the shifting problem and for the 3,000 or so miles or so she had the X3 afterwards, the trans was fine. Months afterwards she got rear ended which totaled the X3, so I don't have a long term result for you, but there was immediate improvement with her trans and no ill effect immediately afterwards.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 09:09 AM   #6
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
There's a bunch of conjecture involving trans fluid, and my policy/anecdote is this:

The trans operates via hydraulic pressure, and if the fluid that's inside gets out of spec with age and wear, the trans won't be as happy as it could be.

Do a drain and fill with filter replacement, not a flush. If the trans is unhappy with a drain and fill you might have other issues at hand.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #7
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
There's a bunch of conjecture involving trans fluid, and my policy/anecdote is this:

The trans operates via hydraulic pressure, and if the fluid that's inside gets out of spec with age and wear, the trans won't be as happy as it could be.

Do a drain and fill with filter replacement, not a flush. If the trans is unhappy with a drain and fill you might have other issues at hand.
This.

I've done drain and fills on many transmissions for family/friends, some of them on higher mileage vehicles that had never been changed. Never had any issues and usually resulted in better shifting. Just make sure you use the correct fluid and fill it to the proper level.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0