E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Safe Engine Modding...

06-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Safe Engine Modding...

Hi Everyone,

First post here. Been doing a LOT of reading on the board about tunes. I have a (cough, cough) 135i, and for a long time considered the Dinan Stage II...until I read about the issues with the AT cars (I have a 6MT, but that just smacks of rushing dev) and talked to various folks at my dealership and BMW about their relationship with Dinan. So now I'm thikning about an Active Autowerke or some other piggyback system and have read about a number of turbo/wastegate issues with them...question: have their been any issues with these tunes when you DON'T add DPs? Everyone having issues I've seen has them.

Also, I've read a lot of what seems to be misinformation about the v81 and the Progman issues, about which prevents tunes and which reports tunes, and how easy is it for BMW to sneak spyware onto your car when you bring it in, etc... Does anyone have the straight scoop on this?

Much appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #2
amuzement
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 228i M Sport

That is what we are all afraid of and trying to figure out (v81)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep

From what I can discern, the V81 makes it hard to tue the car, the v29.2 detects it. Or is that too simplified?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazioNYC View Post
Hi Everyone,

First post here. Been doing a LOT of reading on the board about tunes. I have a (cough, cough) 135i, and for a long time considered the Dinan Stage II...until I read about the issues with the AT cars (I have a 6MT, but that just smacks of rushing dev) and talked to various folks at my dealership and BMW about their relationship with Dinan. So now I'm thikning about an Active Autowerke or some other piggyback system and have read about a number of turbo/wastegate issues with them...question: have their been any issues with these tunes when you DON'T add DPs? Everyone having issues I've seen has them.

Also, I've read a lot of what seems to be misinformation about the v81 and the Progman issues, about which prevents tunes and which reports tunes, and how easy is it for BMW to sneak spyware onto your car when you bring it in, etc... Does anyone have the straight scoop on this?

Much appreciated...
I don;t thing there is one single evidence showing any piggyback destroying wastegate. Just like anything in life the more extreme mods, the more maintenance, like DP, straight-pipe, catless, FMIC etc will stress more parts along the paths. That's the price you pay for power.

At least Dinan, post some sort of "recall" notice for people with AT for S/W update. I have not seen that on other tuners.
In any rate, Dinan hasn't cracked the code for 135 DME so even if you want to go with them you have to wait.
Waiting is not bad idea, to weed-out all the S/W defects anyway. Enjoy the new car stock for a while then re-decide which tuner.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep

There are some early 1s with the v80.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
I don;t thing there is one single evidence showing any piggyback destroying wastegate. Just like anything in life the more extreme mods, the more maintenance, like DP, straight-pipe, catless, FMIC etc will stress more parts along the paths. That's the price you pay for power.

At least Dinan, post some sort of "recall" notice for people with AT for S/W update. I have not seen that on other tuners.
In any rate, Dinan hasn't cracked the code for 135 DME so even if you want to go with them you have to wait.
Waiting is not bad idea, to weed-out all the S/W defects anyway. Enjoy the new car stock for a while then re-decide which tuner.
What about limp modes? Are they just considered inevitable with piggybacks?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep

Sounds like many seem to come from accidental overreving. Does it limp in stock when the engine gets pushed up there?
Appreciate 0