F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Help with code - 18001 -Mixture Control: mixture too lean.
Studio RSR

02-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Help with code - 18001 -Mixture Control: mixture too lean.

Got a CEL yesterday,18001, car running lean.
Also got : 11CF30 - Mixture Control: Multiple fault.

Taking a look I see that this little plastic "clamp/lock" is broken on one side of the Breather Tube so that the tube does not seat/seal completely. This is located on the airbox tube downstream of the air-filter.
Do you think there is enough air being sucked in here to cause the code / car to run lean?
(Of course it doesn't seem that you can buy the little clamp/lock thingy but must buy the whole tube, BMW Part # 13-90-7-604-938, for $72!)

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ChrisFulton; 02-21-2018 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

FWIW, mine is broken in the same exact spot as yours and sits less flush than yours but I get no CEL...
      03-03-2018, 06:23 PM   #3
pongkin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

i have this problem right now same codes and found the problem
my air inlet pipe the one that the dinan connects to engine side is loose at the bottom end ( i guess connects to the turbo). i can grab the inlet and wobble it around, when i pull it out the engine wants to stall, i push it back in place engine smooths out. hose may have busted or clamp, im trying to take my car to the dealer monday
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokers View Post
i have this problem right now same codes and found the problem
my air inlet pipe the one that the dinan connects to engine side is loose at the bottom end ( i guess connects to the turbo). i can grab the inlet and wobble it around, when i pull it out the engine wants to stall, i push it back in place engine smooths out. hose may have busted or clamp, im trying to take my car to the dealer monday
Jokers,
I really appreciate your response & I think you are correct.
In checking the Dinan intake, I took off the filter cover, reconnected it, jiggled everything around looking for a loose connection, and then cleared the code and it hasn't returned . . . yet. I too think I have something loose somewhere on the Dinan intake.
Hope you get yours sorted soon.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
pongkin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

well not the dinan intake itself, that coiled tubed that the dinan tube connects to left side and goes down. grab it and pull it back and forth, it shouldnt wobble all over. when pushing it back in u can kind of feel it connecting back to the turbo, i left it there so it idles smooth and take it to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #6
pongkin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

this hose part no. 13717602651

https://www.google.com/search?q=1371...iw=412&bih=670
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2018, 06:46 PM   #7
pongkin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton View Post

Taking a look I see that this little plastic "clamp/lock" is broken on one side of the Breather Tube so that the tube does not seat/seal completely. This is located on the airbox tube downstream of the air-filter.
Do you think there is enough air being sucked in here to cause the code / car to run lean?
(Of course it doesn't seem that you can buy the little clamp/lock thingy but must buy the whole tube, BMW Part # 13-90-7-604-938, for $72!)

[IMG][/IMG]

my clip is broken as well haha will also see if dealer would change it out too
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2018, 06:49 PM   #8
pongkin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Jokers,
I really appreciate your response & I think you are correct.
In checking the Dinan intake, I took off the filter cover, reconnected it, jiggled everything around looking for a loose connection, and then cleared the code and it hasn't returned . . . yet. I too think I have something loose somewhere on the Dinan intake.
Hope you get yours sorted soon.
Cheers

the thing is i have also cleared my codes and no check light but when i do a read out scan while engine running, it displays those codes even after i cleared it and still no check engine light
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2018, 09:33 PM   #9
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokers View Post
the thing is i have also cleared my codes and no check light but when i do a read out scan while engine running, it displays those codes even after i cleared it and still no check engine light
Again, thanks. Yep, when I was jiggling everything connected to the Dinan I thought that it was loose in that area.
Regarding the code, I haven't thought to check since I cleared the CEL.
Thanks again Jokers.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 10:20 PM   #10
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Red face

Somewhat related and possibly dumb question, but are those clips that hold the vacuum line replaceable? I broke one that connects to the chargepipe when I was installing it. Those things are sort of a PITA, hard as hell to squeeze by hand, but you take a little adjustable wrench for a little added leverage and SNAP!

It doesn't seem to be causing any issues as it seems to be pretty well-seated, so it's mostly just for my own peace of mind.
      03-07-2018, 08:28 AM   #11
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Somewhat related and possibly dumb question, but are those clips that hold the vacuum line replaceable? I broke one that connects to the chargepipe when I was installing it. Those things are sort of a PITA, hard as hell to squeeze by hand, but you take a little adjustable wrench for a little added leverage and SNAP!

It doesn't seem to be causing any issues as it seems to be pretty well-seated, so it's mostly just for my own peace of mind.
Not that I can determine. I wanted to replace mine but don't see it available on the parts list as a separate item.
Seems like if you break one you have to buy the whole damn hose?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 08:10 AM   #12
moegd55
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i Msport

Quote:

[IMG][/IMG]
sorry for reviving this thread but i got the same code today. Can you repost the image if you still have it so i can see which tube your talking about specifically.
      04-28-2021, 10:42 AM   #13
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i & 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by moegd55 View Post
sorry for reviving this thread but i got the same code today. Can you repost the image if you still have it so i can see which tube your talking about specifically.
Google the part number that was provided.
Appreciate 0