BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Apple Carplay Messages

02-23-2018, 05:31 PM   #1
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
Apple Carplay Messages

Is there a way to delete text messages on Apple Carplay? I was playing around carplay on my 530e earlier and saw that old text messages that are no longer on my phone are still on Apple Carplay. I didn't find any option to delete these old text messages.

Anyone have any idea how to do this?
      02-23-2018, 10:17 PM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

In IDrive, you can adjust which messages are displayed. Is there a similar setting in Carplay?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 03:31 AM   #3
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Isn't car play a simple mirror of what's in your phone? Are you referring to the car play of the idrive messages?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Isn't car play a simple mirror of what's in your phone? Are you referring to the car play of the idrive messages?
It's not a mirror of the messages you have on your iPhone. If you delete the message from your iPhone, it still will be on Carplay when you do view messages. There doesn't seem to be a way of deleting them.
      02-25-2018, 06:37 AM   #5
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettie1767 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
It's not a mirror of the messages you have on your iPhone. If you delete the message from your iPhone, it still will be on Carplay when you do view messages. There doesn't seem to be a way of deleting them.
It is a mirror of what's in your phone. Car does not store any data when you use CarPlay. Only data that's stored in the car is the device ID.

I think you've mistaken what's CarPlay and iDrive messages. For iDrive messages, phone transfers the data. Those messages will stay on until you delete them in the car.

Just to be clear, I have CarPlay in my G30, and it perfectly mirrors what's in my phone. Anything I delete in my phone disappears immediately from CarPlay. This is backed by what Apple explains on their website and numerous other articles that explains the tech.
Appreciate 0