F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Not sure which tune to get
proTUNING Freaks

02-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #1
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

Not sure which tune to get

I have a 435 with a JB+ and an ER charge-pipe. I would like to get a better tune. I planned on getting a JB4, but a lot of people seem to be going with a flash tune these days. My car is not tracked, I'm not hard on it and the only other thing I plan on doing to it is a bigger intercooler. What are the main differences or pros/cons between the AA Simon3, Bootmod3 and the MHD flash tunes? Also, what were some of the deciding factors that made you choose the tune you did? Thanks
      02-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa1 View Post
I have a 435 with a JB+ and an ER charge-pipe. I would like to get a better tune. I planned on getting a JB4, but a lot of people seem to be going with a flash tune these days. My car is not tracked, I'm not hard on it and the only other thing I plan on doing to it is a bigger intercooler. What are the main differences or pros/cons between the AA Simon3, Bootmod3 and the MHD flash tunes? Also, what were some of the deciding factors that made you choose the tune you did? Thanks
Are you going to mod further? Like downpipes / FMIC etc.?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Quote:
Are you going to mod further? Like downpipes / FMIC etc.?

Mike
Just an fmic, no down pipes or bigger turbo. Not going fbo.
      02-26-2018, 12:56 PM   #4
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
I'm in the same predicament. Currently the only MODS I have on my car are a drop-in filter and MPE axle back exhaust. Definitely doing an FMIC and intake but don't really want to mess with downpipes or other MODS.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Have you looked at the BMS Stage1?

Jb4 is also a great option.. With JB4 if you get more mods it will grow with you and if you ever go full out you can always loud their FREE back end flash, so you will have JB4 and flash together but that would be only for FBO+

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #6
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
I'm in the same predicament. Currently the only MODS I have on my car are a drop-in filter and MPE axle back exhaust. Definitely doing an FMIC and intake but don't really want to mess with downpipes or other MODS.
Look at the BMS Stage1..

Perfect fit for your plans I think in terms of power and its VERY budget friendly

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Have you looked at the BMS Stage1?

Jb4 is also a great option.. With JB4 if you get more mods it will grow with you and if you ever go full out you can always loud their FREE back end flash, so you will have JB4 and flash together but that would be only for FBO+

Mike
Being that I have a JB+ now, would there be enough of a difference in power between the two where its worth getting the Stage 1?
      02-26-2018, 01:44 PM   #8
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

started with hondata for my acura back in the day and recently my N20 DME flashed a few years ago. if done right, flashes are better because it is not tricking the DME but an actual reprogram/remapping. most flashes can be tailored to the mods you have and they tend to have smoother power delivery than a piggy back.

although i do not have any knowledge about it, except for what i've read here, i would do the simon3 active autowerke obd2 flash. street tune, tailored for minor bolt-ons.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #9
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

MHD flash is the way to go. Ongoing development like bootmod3 but cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 02:56 PM   #10
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
started with hondata for my acura back in the day and recently my N20 DME flashed a few years ago. if done right, flashes are better because it is not tricking the DME but an actual reprogram/remapping. most flashes can be tailored to the mods you have and they tend to have smoother power delivery than a piggy back.

although i do not have any knowledge about it, except for what i've read here, i would do the simon3 active autowerke obd2 flash. street tune, tailored for minor bolt-ons.
Yea, I've read that to about the power delivery of a flash tune. The jb comes on more abruptly where as a flash's is more linear. I wish the decision was easier, but it's between 4 tunes.
      02-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #11
kevinjt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport 14'

I don't mean to start a MHD vs. Bm3 war thread but I'm just waiting to see differences between these 2. Features, support, etc. to make a decision (I'm FBO right now)

Per my experience, Jb4 can cause some jerkiness here and there but nothing that I can' get use to.

Even though you don't plan to do any major mods to the car and you are planning to go conservative/comfort. I recommend getting a flash anyways, you can get your car tuned, improving the driving experience in a smooth OEM+ feel.

335i EB RWD | ///M Sport Pkg | BMS Intake | M Performance Exhaust | ER Catless Downpipe | ER FMIC | ER Charge pipe | CF Aero | 19" Black M4 Wheels | Candy Orange ///M Brake Calipers | ///M Steering wheel | ///M Metal Pedals | Euro Spec - LCI Taillights
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #12
dphjr
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M235i

Definitely go with MHD. You can't beat the price it's much smoother than JB4. The only reason I'm stacking JB4 + BEF is because I've had a JB4 for 2.5 years now and like the safety features + smoother delivery of the combo. If I was just getting into the game MHD is the best value by far.
      02-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #13
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphjr View Post
Definitely go with MHD. You can't beat the price it's much smoother than JB4. The only reason I'm stacking JB4 + BEF is because I've had a JB4 for 2.5 years now and like the safety features + smoother delivery of the combo. If I was just getting into the game MHD is the best value by far.
So you are currently running jb4 with a bef? Which bef are you running, ots or custom?

Can you provide some insight on how the car changed after adding the bef? Very interested in hearing a true comparison between jb4 and jb4 + bef as this is the route I will be going this spring.

Thanks!
      02-26-2018, 04:21 PM   #14
dphjr
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
So you are currently running jb4 with a bef? Which bef are you running, ots or custom?

Can you provide some insight on how the car changed after adding the bef? Very interested in hearing a true comparison between jb4 and jb4 + bef as this is the route I will be going this spring.

Thanks!
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I can give my quick two cents. I have only had the combo for a few weeks now, and the current BEF from Burger Motorsports is still in beta testing. Right now it feels a little smoother and makes really good power (Was seeing around 16psi average in my logs). Terry is the man, and a great guy to work with. He responds almost instantaneously when I email about issues/questions. Right now it's pretty feature-less, but I have heard from him that he is working on a lot of revisions and features to be tested soon. So it will definitely get better with time, and having all of the safety features from the JB4 + increased control from the BEF really is the best of both worlds.
      02-26-2018, 05:15 PM   #15
GPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

While I won't presume to tell you what you should do, I will relate my experience. I had the MMPK software with the Dinan Sport in Sport+ mode. While it made good power I felt driveability suffered. Under less that full throttle it just wasn't as smooth as I'd like.

I just finished installing the AA tune this afternoon (thanks to raichean for the assist). I am more than pleased with the result. The car is as smooth as stock and feels at least as powerful as the Dinan Sport likely considerably more so. I've only driven it for about 20 miles or so, just enough to get the oil up to temp. Part throttle response is outstanding. I chose AA for a number of reasons.

1. A long history of BMW experience.
2. Exceptional customer service. Pre-sale email questions were readily answered, often within minutes.
3. They use your individual car's tune to create your new tune. Others may do the same, I don't know.
4. The ability to copy and reapply any coding you might have done through their software.
5. The added comfort of purchasing the product from Mike at Extreme Powerhouse. In my opinion one of the most responsive and reputable vendors here.
6. And finally, I'm an old PC guy. I have a couple of android devices but I'm not a big app user. I'm much more comfortable using a PC based tool.

As I said, I'm not telling anyone what they should do. I'm sure the competing products are excellent and the vendors offering them are first rate as well.
      02-26-2018, 05:36 PM   #16
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
Look at the BMS Stage1..

Perfect fit for your plans I think in terms of power and its VERY budget friendly

Mike
Thanks Mike. I looked at it and I'd rather go with a flash tune to be honest. I'm not a big fan of piggybacks.
      02-26-2018, 06:15 PM   #17
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
RK tunes in on long island..did some research and liked what i saw.

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 07:41 PM   #18
Tchao
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: E30, E82, F30, F87

Here is the single biggest reason to flash:

You actually tell the computer what you want, instead of tricking it.
Look at these two data logs. The throttle closures at WOT is insane with JB4. It is not smooth what so ever.

The bottom log is a flash tune.
Attached Images

EDWYER1675.00
bradsm87595.50
      02-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #19
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchao View Post
Here is the single biggest reason to flash:

You actually tell the computer what you want, instead of tricking it.
Look at these two data logs. The throttle closures at WOT is insane with JB4. It is not smooth what so ever.

The bottom log is a flash tune.
I can physically feel the throttle closures in my car with jb4, actually feels like the car is holding itself back I had no idea what the deal was u til I studied the logs and did some research.

Car really doesn't feel all that smooth at light/partial throttle either (I thought so stock and noticed it more so with jb4 almost lugging sensation sometimes). That is my biggest thing to fix with bef is smoothness under partial throttle.
      02-26-2018, 10:08 PM   #20
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Tchao That is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 10:25 PM   #21
bradsm87