E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Consider this hypothetical situation

06-03-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
turbodan
Homemade turbo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1988 BMW 528e...

Consider this hypothetical situation

Your 335i comes in making terrible noises. A groan/whine from the turbo. It does not smoke and loses no oil. It turns out that the affected turbo was destroyed by a foriegn object striking the compressor wheel, and no bearing or shaft failure had taken place. Should this failure be covered by warranty or would it be the responsibility of the owner?

Say the car comes in bone stock, down to the airbox and intake. Who should be responsible for footing the bill?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
What shattered the wheel? Surely, there is some hypothetical evidence left in the intake tract (most likely in the IC) of what killed the compressor or evidence of the airbox being removed at some point.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
turbodan
Homemade turbo
United_States
Rep

Should the damage have been caused by a foriegn object, it could be seen as something like a rock chip in the windshield. I dont know how that would go down. I dont know if there would be any evidence of whatever went through the compressor either. Much like the wheel itself, I would figure the debris would be completely destroyed.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfast View Post
Just own up to whatever you did and fix it if it was your fault.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
D0WN4IT
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Ahahaha you are kidding right? Why would you not let a multi Billion dollar organization like BMW pick up the tab for a broken turbo that costs them almost nothing (they write it off) to repair? I mean you did pay them $50k for a car, why shouldnt they fix it?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 05:59 PM   #6
Rusty's508whp
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335I Coupe/ 94 Supra TT

06-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0WN4IT View Post
Ahahaha you are kidding right? Why would you not let a multi Billion dollar organization like BMW pick up the tab for a broken turbo that costs them almost nothing (they write it off) to repair? I mean you did pay them $50k for a car, why shouldnt they fix it?
So, if you threw your remote through your TV you think the manufacturer should pay for that too?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
+1 I think a lot of people have become a little too self-righteous on this forum, If this same hypothetical situation occurred to many of the same people who are quick to cast "stones" they would be thinking the same way as the hypothetical person in the hypothetical situation would be proposing to think...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Oh so young. Do you even know what "to write off" means? Who does BMW write it off to?

To write it off is for an individual to "write it off" to the company so they dont have to pay for it themselves. (ex: "company" beach house, "company" deer lease, etc). BMW has to pay for the shit, there is no "writing it off"

Please learn a little bit before you go into things that you dont understand.
      06-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
D0WN4IT
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
So, if you threw your remote through your TV you think the manufacturer should pay for that too?
I specifically bought a warranty that covers that kind of damage, like if im looking at the stupidity of e90post thru my PS3 onto my LCD TV and i Judo chop the TV, sony will come and take care of the screen!!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 06:32 PM   #11
D0WN4IT
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90AW335i View Post
Oh so young. Do you even know what "to write off" means? Who does BMW write it off to?

To write it off is for an individual to "write it off" to the company so they dont have to pay for it themselves. (ex: "company" beach house, "company" deer lease, etc). BMW has to pay for the shit, there is no "writing it off"

Please learn a little bit before you go into things that you dont understand.
Are you kidding me? I own a corporation, i write off losses all the time... Loans, Spindles, coolant tanks, broken tools, almost anything... A corporation pays taxes too if you didnt know, so i write off the losses against the Corp... I hope you never own a company...

That dealership that does the warranty work writes it off to BMW NA and they write it off as a loss... It is a bit more technical than the lamens terms that i explain it in but that is the general consensus...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #12
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
I specifically bought a warranty that covers that kind of damage, like if im looking at the stupidity of e90post thru my PS3 onto my LCD TV and i Judo chop the TV, sony will come and take care of the screen!!
You did not purchase an external damage warranty. It is a hard pill to swallow but considering the context of the information... How would a rock get ingested without something being out of placed or altered? If it were truly noble and an accident, potentially there could be a valid claim. But the nature which this is presented tends to suggest otherwise.

Why do I sense that accountability has no meaning?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #13
BmwFanFL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 - 335i - Cobb stg 1

Two thoughts:

- If something truly got into the turbos on a stock car with no physical damage (like an accident that damaged intake components), BMW would likely pay for it with no other evidence. It would suggest either an intake filter / system malfunction or design flaw. However, it would be scrutinized highly as virtually all the time, little rocks don't quantum tunnel through the filter.

Second:

- For a real corporations, write-off in the manner suggested and expenses are identical. Expenses incurred without added revenue clearly undermine a firms financial performance. Obviously, the long term revenue and cost is the balancing act for a car company, where customer acquisition and retention costs play a key part of that balancing act. But any cost multiplied over a percentage of the customer base could be material in financial decisions and the corporate P&L. Virtually any routine check the firm writes, other than to shareholders as dividends, is an "expense" that is "written off" in this sense. The term to "write off," when used in corporate senses, most often refers to assets on the books that must be removed do to premature end of their useful life....

Individuals, sole proprietorships, tiny companies, often have a different mindset.

I didn't take the time to write the above in defensible correct fashion, but believe it conveys the big picture accurately.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #14
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Quote:
Jerry: So, we're going to make the post office pay for my new stereo, now?
Kramer: It's a write-off for them.
Jerry: How is it a write-off?
Kramer: They just write it off.
Jerry: Write it off what?
Kramer: Jerry all these big companies they write off everything.
Jerry: You don't even know what a write-off is.
Kramer: Do you?
Jerry: No, I don't.
Kramer: But they do - and they are the ones writing it off.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #15
luca335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 335I Sedan

Quote:
+1
      06-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #16
D0WN4IT
Banned
Rep

Point being, i will have BMW fix my damaged turbos, whether it was caused by me or not. I feel no sympathy for BMW... Do any of you feel bad for Mr. Gates? He pays over $1,000,000 per month in fines for monopolizing the industry.... Most of you must be women, starting with Lawchick...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 11:55 PM   #17
turbodan
Homemade turbo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The bummer for this hypothetical guy is that the burst compressor wheel sent metal all the way through the intake into the engine, so it could be damaged as well.

Th other possibility in this situation is that the compressor wheel burst spontaneously. That would be a sign of a very poor quality turbo, but the forces on turbine and compressor wheels are tremendous. The smaller the turbo the faster it spins too. I wouldn't be suprised if the little twins on the N54 run up over 150,000 rpm at the stock boost level. I wonder if BMW would try to deem that to be a sign of abuse. It is a matter of fact that rocks dont just appear in inlet pipes, but you dont always need something like that to blow your shit up.

Hmmm.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 06:18 AM   #18
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodan View Post
The bummer for this hypothetical guy is that the burst compressor wheel sent metal all the way through the intake into the engine, so it could be damaged as well.

Th other possibility in this situation is that the compressor wheel burst spontaneously. That would be a sign of a very poor quality turbo, but the forces on turbine and compressor wheels are tremendous. The smaller the turbo the faster it spins too. I wouldn't be suprised if the little twins on the N54 run up over 150,000 rpm at the stock boost level. I wonder if BMW would try to deem that to be a sign of abuse. It is a matter of fact that rocks dont just appear in inlet pipes, but you dont always need something like that to blow your shit up.

Hmmm.
So hypothetically what was it that annihilated your turbo?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #19
ElCapitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 328xi & 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
I was thinking the same .

2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
2007 E91 328xi | Black Sapphire | Terra | ALuminium | ZKO | ZKI | ZPL
Past Cars: 2004 ///M3, 2002 E46 330xi, 2003 GTI 1.8T, 1996 Neon
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #20
turbodan
Homemade turbo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
So hypothetically what was it that annihilated your turbo?
I dont even own a 335i. Its a hypothetical situation...

I dont know what killed this turbo. I have a feeling the compressor wheel burst. The car was running with an air filter and the damage occurred weeks after the last time the intake was open.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #21
KWA VaTech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 350Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
2 points to you sir and 1

and to the OP, write offs are effecting the corporations’ bottom line right? That’s why they would care. Yes, you can take it against taxes but the other 60-70% or so is coming from your pocket unless you have some type of insurance yourself.

And FYI extended service plans for most electronics are rip offs hints why CC and BB push them so much. They are making mad coin on those bad boys. Having said that, pick one up for speakers you are taking to college.

Finally to the question, I think BMW would have to foot the bill unless they could find modifications made to the intake. There could've been something in there upon delivery.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #22
getInline
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 Coupe, c32 AMG

Quote:
Are you kidding me? I own a corporation, i write off losses all the time... Loans, Spindles, coolant tanks, broken tools, almost anything... A corporation pays taxes too if you didnt know, so i write off the losses against the Corp... I hope you never own a company...

That dealership that does the warranty work writes it off to BMW NA and they write it off as a loss... It is a bit more technical than the lamens terms that i explain it in but that is the general consensus...

That's almost as good as Kramer's explanation! Good stuff. Did you just google write-off or something? The point of a company is to make profit, a write off reduces that profit by 100% of the value of the write-off. Suprisingly, well run Companies do not seek out ways to lower their profit. One man "C O R P O R A T I O N S" often seek ways to write off everything and their dog as a way to reduce their taxes but I would hardly call that a corporation, more like an Incorporated one man show where the owner has a little business card that says "President".
Appreciate 0