E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > (For the modded) Helix Attache vs. PROcede vs. SSTT vs. JB

06-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
ubersok
newbie.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: none.

(For the modded) Helix Attache vs. PROcede vs. SSTT vs. JB

What was the reason you guys bought these mods? Do you regret buying them? What are your quater mile times, and 0 - 60.

Montego Blue

Last edited by ubersok; 06-04-2008 at 01:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 02:25 AM   #2
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersok View Post
What was the reason you guys bought these mods? Do you regret buying them? What are your quater mile times, and 0 - 60.
If you don't know the reason for buying these mods, AND think that the sorts of people that have them might regret them, this proves inexperience. If that's the case why do you need 0-60 times and quarter mile numbers? Comparing those to any street car is meaningless, so what if the 335i is "faster than", do you have any idea how fast it actually is? If I tell you it's a 12 second car in full prep, is that meaningful without having t ask anyone or any source about it?

If you answer yes to these questions please explain. Not to be mean or anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 02:34 AM   #3
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

honestly here is my view..

i would not buy a helix

i would not buy a procede i think they are over priced.

Last edited by 1cleanm6; 11-28-2008 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
jbttum3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i coupe 6MT

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted335 View Post
honestly here is my view..

i would not buy a helix

i would not buy a procede i think they are over priced.

I use to have a sstt and its awesome for the price i believe its very practical!!!! and its gives a very nice gain.

Im going to try the juice box.
Some people don't mind paying to have the fastest option with the most features. So its all what you're looking for. Some people pay a crap load for Dinan bc they are more worried about peace of mind.

To the OP, don't listen to anyone on here, just do your own research and choose for yourself. FWIW, I don't regret my decision one bit......in fact, I don't understand why one of my friends with the same car as me hasn't put some sort of tune on his.

SOLD!!! :-(Space Gray Metallic - Coral Red - 6MT - Sport - AA Exhaust - UR Catted Coated DP's - Procede V3.1 PnP - Stett CAI - BMW Group SSK - M-Tech Sides/Rear- OEM Aero Lip - GP 8500K Angels - Vorsteiner Boot Lid - Miro M6 Reps
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146425
      06-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #6
tomtom
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

no regrets with AA AP tune, FMIC, Cat back exhaust. Not the fastest out there, but safe reliable power.
My 2nd choice would be Helix, because they allow for multiple maps and good power, but not too much user reports yet..it's fairly new on market.
3rd would be JBX. Good power and great price and works with other mods.
The V3 looks to be the most advanced with most power on pump gas, but it is brand new. Not too much feedback on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #7
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

dinan - warranty good to go, no limp modes, middle of the line power (more than SSTT).
modifies the Mapped cooling thermostat (raises the coolant temp when you cruise to increase burn efficiency aka mpg) to spin that coolant pump faster when you are laying into it.
modifies timing and fuel maps and desired boost

Piggy back systems just cannot modify the matrix of paramters. They can trick the car into doing things but if you have any inkling on how to code a chip, even something ancient like motronic 3.1.1 you'd know that there are maps that rely on maps that rely on maps, a chained set of events based on calibrated points of data and maps.

Piggybacks get the job done but you are really screwing with many things you don't know about.

Trust me i tune everything from digifant to motronic 9, it is my worst nightmare when people come at me with rising rate fuel pressure regulators or piggy back machines because you essentially are going to undo all of that junk and go back to stock so i can write the tune in the software correctly.

i am not saying piggybacks are bad completely but man its like a kick in the balls to the real tuners/coders because i know how many maps there are in modern ecu's and you are trashing signals that have domino effects all over the place.

There are times when these devices have their places for instance when the ecu is so old they use a combination mcu and rom in one. And the availiability is nill, and designing and coding a new cpu to solder into the board is not feasible. Those are valid times to use them.

I've used them in those cases and Split second is great (i am a dealer) and their products work great.

If you can read/write german you could probably acquire a system to flash program the ecu like dinan has. it's probably where they got their technology. I mean come on whats the point of reinventing the wheel?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 10:24 AM   #8
ubersok
newbie.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
If you don't know the reason for buying these mods, AND think that the sorts of people that have them might regret them, this proves inexperience. If that's the case why do you need 0-60 times and quarter mile numbers? Comparing those to any street car is meaningless, so what if the 335i is "faster than", do you have any idea how fast it actually is? If I tell you it's a 12 second car in full prep, is that meaningful without having t ask anyone or any source about it?

If you answer yes to these questions please explain. Not to be mean or anything.
I just need opinions on which product to purchase, because I'm considering buying a PROcede, but I hear the JB better than the PROcede, so I wanted some insight on these mods. and I do know how fast the 335i is. I want to know how fast the car with just an JB or SSTT, or Helix. Nothing else.

Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #9
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrDlux View Post
If you can read/write german you could probably acquire a system to flash program the ecu like dinan has. it's probably where they got their technology. I mean come on whats the point of reinventing the wheel?
What do they use, the Enigma Machine or Machine Code?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
If you want the highest possible performance as well as user-adjustinility and plug n play install, v3 fits that bill. But its also the most expensive. If you want the cheapest possible option, just go make a voltage divider on the map sensor signal for less than $2 and set boost to 10-11psi. You'll make an extra 30-40whp.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #11
tomtom
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

oh i forgot...shark edit/injector from JC. This is a new development in N54 tuning but will be in a few weeks hopefully. read the thread all about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #12
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersok View Post
I just need opinions on which product to purchase, because I'm considering buying a PROcede, but I hear the JB better than the PROcede, so I wanted some insight on these mods. and I do know how fast the 335i is. I want to know how fast the car with just an JB or SSTT, or Helix. Nothing else.
1st time I've ever used this

06-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Piggybacks tunings ( AA AP, Helix Attaché and Vishnu PROcede ) do their job. The current BMS JB*'s are based on cheaper technology and don't have processors, firmware or maps. This is why JB* products are cheaper and provide less functionality compared to other piggybacks. They do their job as well. The complexity and performance of the SSTT's is comparable to a JB1 and have a piggyback price tag. Very different and most easy installation.

Then draw a line --------------------------------------------------------- and the ECU-flashes will show up.

Instead of tricking the ECU on a few signals ECU-flashes are patched OEM ECU-software versions. They just tell the engine what to do. In the US you have Dinan, in Europe you have Noelle. Those tunes come along with some kind of warranty for specific car-components. Currently the most expensive solutions.

An upcoming ECU-flash is the Shark Edit / Shark Injector, IMO worth to wait and have a look at.

Eugen
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #14
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
Piggybacks tunings ( AA AP, Helix Attaché and Vishnu PROcede ) do their job. The current BMS JB*'s are based on cheaper technology and don't have processors, firmware or maps. This is why JB* products are cheaper and provide less functionality compared to other piggybacks. They do their job as well. The complexity and performance of the SSTT's is comparable to a JB1 and have a piggyback price tag. Very different and most easy installation.

Then draw a line --------------------------------------------------------- and the ECU-flashes will show up.

Instead of tricking the ECU on a few signals ECU-flashes are patched OEM ECU-software versions. They just tell the engine what to do. In the US you have Dinan, in Europe you have Noelle. Those tunes come along with some kind of warranty for specific car-components. Currently the most expensive solutions.

An upcoming ECU-flash is the Shark Edit / Shark Injector, IMO worth to wait and have a look at.

Eugen
i talked to my SA today at BMW of Dallas, and he told me that BMW is releasing their own line of ECU upgrades by the end of the year. people paranoid with warranties and such, this may be a good alternative for them.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #15
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvietness View Post
i talked to my SA today at BMW of Dallas, and he told me that BMW is releasing their own line of ECU upgrades by the end of the year. people paranoid with warranties and such, this may be a good alternative for them.

Yeah, they've been saying that since last year.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #16
sleepdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX DG/Blk

My 1/4 mile times are in my sig. V2, K&N, stock runflats.
Appreciate 0