BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M Sport brakes - all you need to know

03-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #1
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

M Sport brakes - all you need to know

This is a great article that covers pretty much everything you might ask in regards to the M Sport brakes.

"Interview with M engineer Klaus Dullinger on the new brake system for the BMW M3 and M4'

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/04/13/ne...-brake-system/
Appreciate 1
maddoc158.00
      03-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #2
Spartan King
MOLON LABE
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by isjoey View Post
This is a great article that covers pretty much everything you might ask in regards to the M Sport brakes.

"Interview with M engineer Klaus Dullinger on the new brake system for the BMW M3 and M4'

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/04/13/ne...-brake-system/
Good info, thanks for the link.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

He didn’t mention their magic caliper paint color changing abilities on track.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
He didn’t mention their magic caliper paint color changing abilities on track.
Turns out I changed my rotors and pads last weekend. I also discovered this bit of beauty...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
Noel911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 2019 Golf R (Daily)

Interesting quote in this article about the color change of the caliper paint as it relates to cooldown. BTW, I assume they are talking Celsius.

"It is very important for the material in the brake components to have time to cool down in an air stream. If you park your car while temperatures of 500 degrees are still prevailing on the brake discs, the considerable heat will be transferred throughout the entire brake system. And the brake pads too will absorb energy from the hot brake discs. The heat transfer progresses through the back plate and damping plates of standard pads into the brake callipers. In addition to the damping layer of the damping plates, the piston seals and dust shields can also be damaged, as can the surface coating of the brake callipers. Leaving brakes to cool in a stationary position is extremely unfavourable when brake discs are at a temperature of up to 500 degrees. By performing a cooling-down lap, the brake temperature generally falls to below 200 degrees.:
      03-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #6
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I can tell you from experience the issue isn’t cooldown, it’s the brakes are inadequate for seasoned drivers and they get too hot.

I was routinely doing a cool down lap and continuing cool down by driving out of the paddock to sideroads to get temps down. My calipers still got torched.

I think it’s all down to pad size. If the pads had more surface area, temps wouldn’t get as high.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 06:09 PM   #7
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wow I would have thought the insides would get hotter and discolor faster than the outer. Weird .... maybe the inner side has more airflow than we know
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel911 View Post
Interesting quote in this article about the color change of the caliper paint as it relates to cooldown. BTW, I assume they are talking Celsius.

"It is very important for the material in the brake components to have time to cool down in an air stream. If you park your car while temperatures of 500 degrees are still prevailing on the brake discs, the considerable heat will be transferred throughout the entire brake system. And the brake pads too will absorb energy from the hot brake discs. The heat transfer progresses through the back plate and damping plates of standard pads into the brake callipers. In addition to the damping layer of the damping plates, the piston seals and dust shields can also be damaged, as can the surface coating of the brake callipers. Leaving brakes to cool in a stationary position is extremely unfavourable when brake discs are at a temperature of up to 500 degrees. By performing a cooling-down lap, the brake temperature generally falls to below 200 degrees.:
Celsius - yes.

This is all very true, cool down time is very important. You never want to just "stop" with hot rotors. As in hot during or right after a session on the track. If there is a red flag on the track, you need to pull over and stop ASAP, or course. That is bad!

The calipers will turn almost complete black in extreme cases.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 07:11 PM   #9
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
Wow I would have thought the insides would get hotter and discolor faster than the outer. Weird .... maybe the inner side has more airflow than we know
The outside pads on the front are worn more too.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #10
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I can tell you from experience the issue isn’t cooldown, it’s the brakes are inadequate for seasoned drivers and they get too hot.

I was routinely doing a cool down lap and continuing cool down by driving out of the paddock to sideroads to get temps down. My calipers still got torched.

I think it’s all down to pad size. If the pads had more surface area, temps wouldn’t get as high.
It is interesting as I have seen some hard braking (right in front of me) lap and lap with another M2 with OEM pads. There was no discoloration on the calipers after the season. Pad compound of course certainly plays a part too.

I agree on brakes for the track driver. BWM should have offer the M Carbon Ceramic brakes as an option. I would have tempted myself.

Last edited by M2joey; 03-06-2018 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 07:38 AM   #11
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:

Agreed. Also spent a considerable amount of time driving in circles in the paddock to help further cool down the brakes after a full cool down lap. Brake calipers turned greenish brown anyways.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #12
SimNugget
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335XD

BMW should just have some cooling ducts in the front wheel arches like they have placed on most 3 Series and Minis - lord know they didn't on the M2!
Appreciate 0