BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Individual Paint or Competition Package

03-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
DallasLife345M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Uber

Individual Paint or Competition Package

Because I have imposed a budget constraint on myself for my M5 order I’m trying to decide between individual paint (Frozen Black), or a standard paint with the competition Package

Disclaimer.. yes I understand th CP will cost more than individual paint and yes I know the CP is not available yet. Just humor my option

I won’t be on track but do enjoy spirited driving. I’ll also be adding the M Performance coilovers when available
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
M4LAKA
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasLife345M View Post
Because I have imposed a budget constraint on myself for my M5 order IÂ’m trying to decide between individual paint (Frozen Black), or a standard paint with the competition Package

Disclaimer.. yes I understand th CP will cost more than individual paint and yes I know the CP is not available yet. Just humor my option

I wonÂ’t be on track but do enjoy spirited driving. IÂ’ll also be adding the M Performance coilovers when available
Both

Past:
2019 M5 Comp
2015 M4
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
DallasLife345M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4LAKA View Post
Both
Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #4
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

If cannot do both, then choose individual paint: Frozen Black
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Go CP.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #6
neohh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

If you are not planning to go on track then paint + coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
drewzMMM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Future M5 F90 Owner

Frozen Black - definitely!
*R.I.P.*
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #8
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Frozen Black, hands down!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
DallasLife345M
Captain
United_States
Rep

I’m leaning Frozen Black over the CP. I think the individual paint will make it feel and look much more special than the CP would
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 12:04 PM   #10
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Quote:
I’m leaning Frozen Black over the CP. I think the individual paint will make it feel and look much more special than the CP would
Is frozen black a 5k upcharge?

Could also consider a wrap.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #11
DallasLife345M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbmb View Post
Is frozen black a 5k upcharge?

Could also consider a wrap.
Yes, 5k
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #12
jboud18
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Yes, 5k
Call your dealer to find out. I was told by my sales that Frozen was 7500 on the 5 series
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #13
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

It depends in part on whether you're buying or leasing.

If you're buying, CP would make the car more attractive on resale. And you'd get some of the money back when you go to resell. At the same time, individual paint might actually make resale harder - more special color limits your buying population (especially frozen colors, that's not everyone's cup of tea). You certainly wouldn't get much back on your investment for the individual color. So if you're buying, I'd say get CP.

If you're leasing, all that goes out the door. You can pick any color you want any not have to worry about how much money you'll recoup. Here i'd personally go with individual color. Only because i'm the type of guy who would get my own wheels, and exhaust. And as for the extra 15-25 hp from CP. Well all that additional horsepower on CP is all just software, not hardware. Once somebody (like a BMS, or Benvo, etc) cracks the ECU, you'll get more than any horespower CP could ever offer. The question for you is what's more important to you, color or a minor performance bump.

EDIT - And since you plan on getting coilovers anyway. That's one more reason not to get CP. It renders CP's 5mm drop and firmer suspension basically superfluous.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]

Last edited by esquire; 03-09-2018 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #14
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Because I have imposed a budget constraint on myself for my M5 order IÂ’m trying to decide between individual paint (Frozen Black), or a standard paint with the competition Package

I wonÂ’t be on track but do enjoy spirited driving. IÂ’ll also be adding the M Performance coilovers when available
You aren't getting competition package until next year or the year after. So if you want the car just do individual.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #15
scotty91ss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M5, '15 X5M,'91Chev454ss

I heard the Frozen black is not easy to repair. You get a dent or a scratch and some places don't even have the proper paint match.

My choice, get the regular black, then have the car fully wrapped. Better for paint protection and repair.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 05:51 PM   #16
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty91ss View Post
I heard the Frozen black is not easy to repair. You get a dent or a scratch and some places don't even have the proper paint match.

My choice, get the regular black, then have the car fully wrapped. Better for paint protection and repair.
Also frozen paint cannot be towel dried too hard. If you apply to much pressure while drying the matte paint will become glossy because it will polish the matte clear coat. If you do not plan wash it yourself or have someone professional wash the car you can easily ruin the matte effect.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 10:38 PM   #17
DallasLife345M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It depends in part on whether you're buying or leasing.

If you're buying, CP would make the car more attractive on resale. And you'd get some of the money back when you go to resell. At the same time, individual paint might actually make resale harder - more special color limits your buying population (especially frozen colors, that's not everyone's cup of tea). You certainly wouldn't get much back on your investment for the individual color. So if you're buying, I'd say get CP.

If you're leasing, all that goes out the door. You can pick any color you want any not have to worry about how much money you'll recoup. Here i'd personally go with individual color. Only because i'm the type of guy who would get my own wheels, and exhaust. And as for the extra 15-25 hp from CP. Well all that additional horsepower on CP is all just software, not hardware. Once somebody (like a BMS, or Benvo, etc) cracks the ECU, you'll get more than any horespower CP could ever offer. The question for you is what's more important to you, color or a minor performance bump.

EDIT - And since you plan on getting coilovers anyway. That's one more reason not to get CP. It renders CP's 5mm drop and firmer suspension basically superfluous.
Fantastic points, you hit the nail on the head! I appreciate the feeedback and I agree with everything you said. The CP does seem like a waste for my particular situation, I think outside of bragging rights it’s not worth it for me. I do plan to buy and not lease, I plan to keep this car for a while so resell is not my biggest concern, being happy with my build is. You’re right, with the coilovers and future ECU tunes that will be available that’s another reason not to get the CP. Frozen Black paint it is

Last edited by DallasLife345M; 03-09-2018 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 10:41 PM   #18
DallasLife345M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
Also frozen paint cannot be towel dried too hard. If you apply to much pressure while drying the matte paint will become glossy because it will polish the matte clear coat. If you do not plan wash it yourself or have someone professional wash the car you can easily ruin the matte effect.
I’ll look more into this.. I’ve actually read the opposite in another post, that it’s easier to care for than standard paint. I’ll be doing all the washing and detailing myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 11:02 PM   #19
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
IÂ’ll look more into this.. IÂ’ve actually read the opposite in another post, that itÂ’s easier to care for than standard paint. IÂ’ll be doing all the washing and detailing myself.
As long as you don't apply pressure you are fine. Frozen still has a clear coat. It's just not polished. If you apply an abrasive such as towel it will polish the clear coat. My recommendation is select a standard color and have matte xpel film done. It protects the car and gives the matte effect.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 11:51 PM   #20
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Quote:
I’ll look more into this.. I’ve actually read the opposite in another post, that it’s easier to care for than standard paint. I’ll be doing all the washing and detailing myself.
I had a factory matte black on a C63 and I thought it was very easy to take care of. I used Dr. Beasley's products in a two bucket method drying with micro-fiber towels and it was easy. My biggest complaint was that it constantly had finger prints on it from people wanting to touch it!

Having said that, wraps look great, are cheaper and are also easy to take care of. Black Sapphire wrapped would probably look very similar to Frozen black. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #21
DallasLife345M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had a factory matte black on a C63 and I thought it was very easy to take care of. I used Dr. Beasley's products in a two bucket method drying with micro-fiber towels and it was easy. My biggest complaint was that it constantly had finger prints on it from people wanting to touch it!

Having said that, wraps look great, are cheaper and are also easy to take care of. Black Sapphire wrapped would probably look very similar to Frozen black. Just a thought.
Thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 01:32 PM   #22
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
IÂ’ll look more into this.. IÂ’ve actually read the opposite in another post, that itÂ’s easier to care for than standard paint. IÂ’ll be doing all the washing and detailing myself.

And get a foam canon if you don't already have one. It loosens all the dirt and grime without have it to use a mitt which acts as an abrasive.
Appreciate 0