BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Photos - Video - Build Threads G31 540iX - One week in

03-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #1
DavidI
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C LCI

G31 540iX - One week in

I'm only 100 miles or so into ownership but thought I would post some early thoughts.

Sophisto grey Msport with black dakota and poplar grey. The car replaced an F10 535d that I was really happy with. I never had the same bond with the car as I'd had with some earlier, sportier models, but I found it just incredibly accomplished - it did everything really well. I got an F10 as a loaner while a 4-series order was rectified (it never was, so I bought the 535d) and just loved the boot space.

I used to pop the F10 into Sport mode before starting every journey but have stuck with comfort most of the time with the G31 so far. The car is clearly a step forward from the F10 and I don't regret changing for a moment, but the lack of steering feel, which I suspect is down to driving in comfort mode and the change in feel over the front end (the G31 feels much lighter) is holding me back from feeling totally enthusiastic about the change.

After finding all sorts of ways to get my golf clubs into 911's and Elise's in the past, being able to throw them into the boot and forget about them (with masses of space to spare) was my main reason for getting a grown up car. The recesses behind the F10 rear arches made the F10 capable of swallowing 3 sets of clubs easily and I had a slight doubt the G31 had the same recesses - earlier touring versions didn't. No problems, however. I liked the versatility of the touring and owned an S2 Avant years back that was really practical, so chose the G31 over the saloon. After reading and watching various reviews I specced the 'extended storage' option, thinking it bought me the sliding lashing point lugs in the boot (which it does) and the elastic storage straps in each of the wheel recesses, which it doesn't. I'll query that with the dealer - I saw them on NL spec cars and they attach to the panels covering access to the lights so would be an easy thing to add, but I'm surprised they're not included. The configurator suggests they should be included....

I've a nagging doubt about the build quality of the interior and just feel the F10 was more solid. A lot of that view was caused by driving away from the dealer looking for the switch to turn off the HUD, then finding it in the iDrive settings. I can't really defend why that disappoints me but it does! It's obviously cheaper to manufacture that way, and it's clear cars sell more on tech and comms than engineering brilliance, but I was a little surprised at the obvious cost cutting. With discounts the G30/31 are - I feel - incredible value, so I shouldn't be surprised and shouldn't complain. I've coded the Alpina dials as I feel they're just a little more interesting to look at in both sport and comfort modes, and match the blue interior lights which I previously turned off. The interior is a very nice place to be!

Stuff I would change? If the extended storage pack doesn't include the side straps, I wouldn't pay close to £300 for the moveable lashing points. They're good, but I use the car 95% of the time with a rubber mat in the boot so can't use the lashing points anyway.

I've seen today a few people commenting about the rear sun protection glass (tinted windows) and I'd also ditch them. I've not noticed an issue with vision, but feel the car just looks odd with heavier tinting from the B pillars back.

I'd recommend the MPPSK, though I've not gone above 3.5k revs yet, but I like the option of increasing the noise to make the car feel more involving. I'd stop short of claiming it's value for money before using it in anger.

I'm fascinated to put more miles on the clock and properly test the active steering and EDC. Interesting reading others' views on the adaptive drive (which I seriously considered) and 'standard' MSport suspension over the 10mm higher EDC. I read a review (not sure if it was CAR or EVO) which was very positive about the active steering but doubt it's possible to make an informed judgement without driving each option for a good few hundred miles on familiar roads. I do find the G31 a little numb (though it's early days and I've not tweaked settings to minimise it, nor pushed the car to test the handling) and am aware active steering could create an artificial feel though I'm hoping as Porsche have gotten it right for years BMW can too.

My display key lives in a drawer, I like Apple CarPlay but might change my mind if I get bored flicking from CarPlay to iDrive, and am a fan of gesture control which I use for volume, turning the display on and off (I turn it off unless I actually need it) and am thinking I can also turn the HUD on and off which I currently have on button 7.

I've not used parking assistant plus for actual parking, but like the fact that I should be able to protect my alloys! I've not driven anywhere but in town yet so can't comment on the adaptive lights, which, along with 4wd and MSport brakes, were major reasons for changing from the F10. I've not used the brakes in anger but did feel the standard items in the F10 were only just acceptable for the performance and weight of the car.

Last edited by DavidI; 03-10-2018 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Looks great!
Appreciate 1
DavidI20.50
      03-10-2018, 08:45 PM   #3
m3rxn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: boosted Inline 6's

Sweet car and color. Congrats!
Appreciate 1
DavidI20.50
      03-11-2018, 01:22 AM   #4
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Nice review ,lovely car
Happy Driving
      03-11-2018, 06:52 AM   #5
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
First time I see the G31 and it looks great
Appreciate 1
DavidI20.50
      03-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

Alpina dials?...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 03:23 AM   #7
DavidI
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1gma View Post
Alpina dials?...
http://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1427493
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #8
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i & G30 540i M Sport

I've a nagging doubt about the build quality of the interior and just feel the F10 was more solid.

This is the feeling I have with regard to the build quality. Some items do feel 'light/cheap'.

Another example is the Steering Wheel heating button does not change colour when active......just little touches like that that makes me feel they saved money in places.

Time will tell...
      03-12-2018, 04:27 PM   #9
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 ZCP 2017, 540ix 18 G31

Garage List
Fantastic looking car! Congrats!
A couple of points:
1) I have the extended luggage pack in my g31 and it does include the elastic straps on either side of the wheel recesses. They are, however, of limited use, since they can barely extend to hold a large bottle of water (1,5 liters). If you want I can take a pic and post it here.
2) the parking assistant is great when it works but picky about space and also it has zero qualms about putting a rear wheel onto the curb when doing parallel parking. I have yet to see a curbing, also you’ve specd the sensible 19” wheels, but on 20s I’d be very hesitant to use it.

Nice to see you’ve got the MPPSK, waiting on mine here!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 03:51 AM   #10
DavidI
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the kind comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa100 View Post
just little touches like that that makes me feel they saved money in places.
Time will tell...
It's an interesting one isn't it - illuminated door sills but not the steering heat button, no HUD or driver assist buttons, the ventilation controls are definitely cheaper. Yet it all looks and works absolutely fine, and in real terms, especially after discounts, the relative price has fallen for what is clearly a more advanced car. I'm worried I sound like my dad when Mercedes replaced the W123 that was so solid it must have cost a fortune to manufacture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap-xpilot View Post
Fantastic looking car! Congrats!
A couple of points:
1) I have the extended luggage pack in my g31 and it does include the elastic straps on either side of the wheel recesses. They are, however, of limited use, since they can barely extend to hold a large bottle of water (1,5 liters). If you want I can take a pic and post it here.
2) the parking assistant is great when it works but picky about space and also it has zero qualms about putting a rear wheel onto the curb when doing parallel parking. I have yet to see a curbing, also you’ve specd the sensible 19” wheels, but on 20s I’d be very hesitant to use it.

Nice to see you’ve got the MPPSK, waiting on mine here!
Thanks! Thanks also for the offer of pics of the elastic straps but I saw them on a Dutch video review of the G31 dedicated to the boot - that's thorough I'd actually find them quite useful as I've always got bits and pieces floating around in the boot - the F10 had a tray behind a wheel arch that I filled with rubbish regularly. I find it interesting that the dealer and/or factory could miss them out if they were meant to be there.

Must admit I wouldn't have ordered the parking stuff if it weren't for the cameras. I could never park using the rear camera in the F10, the car was always wonkier than when I used the force

Good luck with the MPPSK, sure you'll enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 07:54 AM   #11
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Congrats, it looks great.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 1
DavidI20.50
      03-28-2018, 06:30 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0