BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Questions related to PPF

03-12-2018, 01:28 AM   #1
BMWEnthuTony
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 6MT MG

Garage List
Questions related to PPF

Hello All, a very recent owner of 2018 Mineral Grey M2 6MT. I had some questions related to the best way to get the car wrapped with PPF. I am listing those down.
1. I saw one of the fellow users had done a Xpel Stealth and the quartz coating on top. Wanted to understand what is the rough price point for the same across all of the car?
2. What is the most efficient way to get the Xpel done : full, front only or some other combinations. I plan to use my M2 as DD and my commute is usually 30mins long and does encounter some rock chips etc. in the freeway.
3. I also evaluated the DynoMatt which turned out to be very expensive. Any experience with dynoshield. I understand both Xpel and DynoShield are from different companies and usually the detailer is what it matters. So I wanted to get some recommendations on the same in Bellevue \ Seattle area. I have experience only with Metropolitan Detailers in Bellevue and they are pretty good. But wanted to evaluate other options as well.
4. I also intend to put tints on just my windows. Any experience on difference between Xpel vs Nano ceramic ones which are bit more expensive.

Also some things I plan to buy are the carbonia plates for front and on lookout for some all weather mats. So far have just found the M Performance mats in my search. Any recommendations would help.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
Spartan King
MOLON LABE
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWEnthuTony View Post
Hello All, a very recent owner of 2018 Mineral Grey M2 6MT. I had some questions related to the best way to get the car wrapped with PPF. I am listing those down.
1. I saw one of the fellow users had done a Xpel Stealth and the quartz coating on top. Wanted to understand what is the rough price point for the same across all of the car?
2. What is the most efficient way to get the Xpel done : full, front only or some other combinations. I plan to use my M2 as DD and my commute is usually 30mins long and does encounter some rock chips etc. in the freeway.
3. I also evaluated the DynoMatt which turned out to be very expensive. Any experience with dynoshield. I understand both Xpel and DynoShield are from different companies and usually the detailer is what it matters. So I wanted to get some recommendations on the same in Bellevue \ Seattle area. I have experience only with Metropolitan Detailers in Bellevue and they are pretty good. But wanted to evaluate other options as well.
4. I also intend to put tints on just my windows. Any experience on difference between Xpel vs Nano ceramic ones which are bit more expensive.

Also some things I plan to buy are the carbonia plates for front and on lookout for some all weather mats. So far have just found the M Performance mats in my search. Any recommendations would help.
I recently had my entire car covered in Xpel Ultimate PPF with nano ceramic tint done on the entire interior. As far as the PPF is concerned I would cover as much of the car as you can afford especially if the daily drive is going to expose your car to a lot of debris on the road.

I live in South Florida where tint is life, the extra cost of the nano ceramic is worth every penny to me, but might not be as needed where you live due to the cooler climates year round.

If the same installer offers the ceramic coating as an option the application cost should be about a 1/3 of what it would cost to do it alone. All of paint prep labor isn't required since it is done prior to the PPF installation. You could also save yourself some dollars and apply a couple of coats of Cquartz yourself about a week or so after the PPF has had time to fully dry out on the car.

Congrats on the new M2!!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 11:14 PM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Also people seem to be happy with Suntek Ultra, generally people either say it looks the same as Xpel or better, but it's less thick so perhaps it offers less protection?

I would recommend you do full front, including full hood and full front fender so you don't have PPF line on your car. Do mirrors, lower rockers, and if you can have them take off the factory PPF on rear fenders and put on a bigger piece there and then one behind the rear wheel like the image below.

Also consider one right on top of rear bumper, luggage strip I believe because.

Other considerations would be A pillars, door cups, and partial roof.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 12:43 AM   #4
BMWEnthuTony
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 6MT MG

Garage List
Thanks folks for the replies. Full body seems a bit beyond the budget for me. Now considering the front and other panels etc. as suggested. Will be evaluating the quotes etc. Unfortunately would still need to be driving this car without PPF as this is my DD. Will need to soon finalize on the same..So far aware of Eastside Auto Salon and Metropolitan Detail in the Bellevue\Seattle area. If there are any other recommendations on good detailers, please let me know.
Appreciate 0