ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

DICE compatibility

I am ready to get a DICE unit but I still have a few Qs:

- Has the new Dice (Silverline) greately improved over the old version? I have a friend who's selling the old version for $70. Does the improvements justify the price difference?

- My friend's unit is an e46 unit. Will it be compatible with my Z4?

- And finally, I noticed that a lot of people are complaining about issues with Silverline. Tom mentioned a good point in the official dice thread and that is, happy customers don't say anything while those with issues complain so it may look like everybody's complaining. Are there people who don't have any or minor issues??

TIA
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
I am ready to get a DICE unit but I still have a few Qs:

- Has the new Dice (Silverline) greately improved over the old version? I have a friend who's selling the old version for $70. Does the improvements justify the price difference?
The main enhanced features would be the following:

Browse by Artist with full Artist Directory listings
Browse by Album with full Album Directory listings
Browse by Playlist with full Playlist Directory listings
ID3 text display, showing Artist, Song title and Album while the song is in play.

Quote:
- My friend's unit is an e46 unit. Will it be compatible with my Z4?
Yes - as long as it is not a radio interface kit.

Quote:
- And finally, I noticed that a lot of people are complaining about issues with Silverline. Tom mentioned a good point in the official dice thread and that is, happy customers don't say anything while those with issues complain so it may look like everybody's complaining. Are there people who don't have any or minor issues??

TIA
I'll let other answer this one, but we're always here for support if needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 03:19 AM   #3
rlc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '16 F15d

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.5i Roadster  [9.00]
Quote:
...I noticed that a lot of people are complaining about issues with Silverline. Tom mentioned a good point in the official dice thread and that is, happy customers don't say anything while those with issues complain so it may look like everybody's complaining. Are there people who don't have any or minor issues??

TIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
I'll let other answer this one, but we're always here for support if needed.
Tom is doing a pretty good job supporting the DICE products, and he makes a valid point that people happy with the product won't be griping in our forums.

I don't have NAV and my take on the DICE units is this:

If you don't have Nav then I actually prefer the non-Silverline DICE (no longer available) which gives me control using the iPod clickwheel as well as some control using the radio. The added display of names of albums/playlists/etc. provided by the Silverline is diminished by the limits of the non-Nav display.

I was one of the first to use the Silverline and discover the track repeating error. Tom has sent me the updated Silverline but I have yet to re-install and test it to see of the repeat problem is fixed (others say the problem is still there) so I can't speak to that issue, but I do know that when I had the Silverline installed I did not find it to be a significant improvement in performance in my non-Nav system so I have pretty much settled on the old unit for now.

Both units are temperamental at startup and often need to be re-initialized if they have been shutdown a while and the iPod goes to sleep. This is an annoyance for me because I like to leave the iPod conected and in the car 24/7. If you normally disconnect and take the iPod out of the car then initialization hang ups may not be a big deal.

Although I haven't tried the BMW solution for my 2004 Z4, I do have an E90 (also no NAV) with the BMW MOST iPod adpater installed. While there are shortcomings with that system I think they are mostly the fault of the integrated head unit the iPod system connects to. I would say the system in my E90 is superior in most regards, but then it didn't cost a mere $149.

If you have NAV the Silverline will likely be more valuable. The Intravee is interesting but at a much higher cost after the unit and compatible Alpine hardware is purchased. I have not seen the BMW solution for the Z4 but expect it is similar to my E90. In short, no perfect solution exists yet. You basically have to decide which one is less annoying to you....what a shame.

Thanks to Tom anyway - If I ever try the Silverline again I'll let you know if the repeat problem recurs.
      06-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc View Post
Tom is doing a pretty good job supporting the DICE products, and he makes a valid point that people happy with the product won't be griping in our forums.

I don't have NAV and my take on the DICE units is this:

If you don't have Nav then I actually prefer the non-Silverline DICE (no longer available) which gives me control using the iPod clickwheel as well as some control using the radio. The added display of names of albums/playlists/etc. provided by the Silverline is diminished by the limits of the non-Nav display.

I was one of the first to use the Silverline and discover the track repeating error. Tom has sent me the updated Silverline but I have yet to re-install and test it to see of the repeat problem is fixed (others say the problem is still there) so I can't speak to that issue, but I do know that when I had the Silverline installed I did not find it to be a significant improvement in performance in my non-Nav system so I have pretty much settled on the old unit for now.

Both units are temperamental at startup and often need to be re-initialized if they have been shutdown a while and the iPod goes to sleep. This is an annoyance for me because I like to leave the iPod conected and in the car 24/7. If you normally disconnect and take the iPod out of the car then initialization hang ups may not be a big deal.

Although I haven't tried the BMW solution for my 2004 Z4, I do have an E90 (also no NAV) with the BMW MOST iPod adpater installed. While there are shortcomings with that system I think they are mostly the fault of the integrated head unit the iPod system connects to. I would say the system in my E90 is superior in most regards, but then it didn't cost a mere $149.

If you have NAV the Silverline will likely be more valuable. The Intravee is interesting but at a much higher cost after the unit and compatible Alpine hardware is purchased. I have not seen the BMW solution for the Z4 but expect it is similar to my E90. In short, no perfect solution exists yet. You basically have to decide which one is less annoying to you....what a shame.

Thanks to Tom anyway - If I ever try the Silverline again I'll let you know if the repeat problem recurs.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply! I did look into Intravee, which seems to be the best option available but it is really expensive! Also, I considered BMW MOST but a lot of people told me that both INTRAVEE and DICE units are better than MOST! What are the differences between MOST and DICE? Does it offer the same functionality? I think I am most concerned with track/artist/album display and browsing using the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Thanks for the comprehensive reply! I did look into Intravee, which seems to be the best option available but it is really expensive! Also, I considered BMW MOST but a lot of people told me that both INTRAVEE and DICE units are better than MOST! What are the differences between MOST and DICE? Does it offer the same functionality? I think I am most concerned with track/artist/album display and browsing using the head unit.
MOST is fiber optic (Media Oriented Systems Transport), which are in the new models (not yet in the Z4). The Z4 uses ibus.

The DICE will be your best bet - feel free to stop by our facility to see the kit in action.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
MOST is fiber optic (Media Oriented Systems Transport), which are in the new models (not yet in the Z4). The Z4 uses ibus.

The DICE will be your best bet - feel free to stop by our facility to see the kit in action.
Thanks for the info I PMed you
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #7
rlc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '16 F15d

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.5i Roadster  [9.00]
Quote:
As Tom says, our Z4s don't have MOST yet. The explanation I got from the local BMW parts guy is that the iBus system operates similar to the MOST adapter I have in my E90 330i.

The BMW MOST kit has a couple of problems:

- Limited number of tracks can be displayed (500) - so you have to break large volumes into playlists to make navigation usable. This is a limitation of the head unit - not the iPod adapter.
- Fairly slow navigation and no way to page through a list.

The other problems such starting a track from the beginning no matter where you were when last shutdown are also a quirk of the head unit. BTW, navigation through lists is no better with the DICE - thats why I like being able to use the clickwheel when I want. The one thing the BMW model has that is lacking in the DICE is a dedicated PODCAST function. I listen to a lot of podcasts in the car and with the DICE I have to create a separate playlist for them in order to organize them. On the BMW kit Podcasts have a dedicated button (5) similar to the way artists and albums are treated. The DICE does not have that. It seems to me that since DICE has limited resources a PODCAST channel would be more useful than the ALBUMS channel, but that's just me.

I've never seen or used the BMW ibus adapter on non-nav systems so I can't speak from experience on those. Maybe Tom can. I know the DICE became attractive because of price back when BMW wanted $300 and up for the kit. I found it online at Circle today for $145 so that may be something you want to look into. I'd try it but the DICE allows me to pass-through the XM module so I am sticking with the old model despite the spotty performance and quirks.

Good luck on your search for the answer.....
      06-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I have a silverline and just use random mode and skp songs as desired. It works with that and has a few bugs with that basic functionality but is okay. I suspect if you want full functionallity the Intravee is the ONLY way to go. Whether it is BMW or Dice to blame, IPOD functionality is a 3-4 out of 10 (being perfect) which is fine for me. It may not be fine for the most demanding people. Think carefully about your needs and buy right the first time.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
daveysew
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '91 318is/'05 Z4 SC/'18 440ix

Original Dice

I've had an original ice/Link that I purchased from Tom @ EAS. Total piece of sh*t, it never worked straight from the box, and I had the bad luck of purchasing just before the ice to dice transition, so no refund or replacement for the piece of crap. Tom gave me the contact info for the people who took over ice who basically told me too bad. That being said Tom gave me a break on the price for the dice and was amazing with both phone and email support for the install, I would buy from him again in a heartbeat.

As for my dice, I'd rate it as "okay". When browsing by playlists, it doesn't go from the one you're listening to the next one it always goes back to the first one and you have to skip forward. Repeated pressing of buttons does not result in multiple steps forward, you need to hear the first track in each playlist before going on to the next one. The random function has never worked.

Display on a BMW Business CD is good, auxillary input works fine.

Overall it took me about a year of install, troubleshoot to determine I've got a faulty product, remove and return, reinstall, get angry... to get the functionality I've got. Would I buy another dice, no. Very basic in terms of functioning, but it is better than FM transmitter and I do like that it keeps my (old) ipod charged. I far prefer the aftermarket Panasonic stereo and ipod connection I've got in my E30. Also keeps the unit powered, far better integration of controls from the head unit, and all are completely functional. Considering the quality of the aftermarket integration that is available I find the dice to be a very substandard product.

That being said as I've crapped all over the product, I'll add another thank you to Tom from EAS as he was a great help with my install and resulting grief. I can't think of another online retailer, save Crutchfield (USA, haven't used their Canadian division), who provide such great after purchase support.

dave
Appreciate 0