E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Need a bit of help conveying Dinan needs to Dealer

06-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
jchristena
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite 2008 335Ci

Need a bit of help conveying Dinan needs to Dealer

So, I got my Dinan flash back in December before they had the 3 stages of software. So, since I have only a factory oil cooler, I essentially have stage II. I made an appointment with the dealer to get the rev 2 of the flash to address the low end throttle response. Today, my SA calls me back and says his Dinan expert tells him that the software rev only addresses the automatic (I have 6SP). Obviously they are confused between the update for rev II Stage II, and the very recent update for the automatic.

Do you guys have any SIB numbers I can throw at them to show them the difference? Any recommendations on how I can state the obvious since his "Dinan expert" thinks he knows whats up?

Thanks...it should not be this difficult!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristena View Post
So, I got my Dinan flash back in December before they had the 3 stages of software. So, since I have only a factory oil cooler, I essentially have stage II. I made an appointment with the dealer to get the rev 2 of the flash to address the low end throttle response. Today, my SA calls me back and says his Dinan expert tells him that the software rev only addresses the automatic (I have 6SP). Obviously they are confused between the update for rev II Stage II, and the very recent update for the automatic.

Do you guys have any SIB numbers I can throw at them to show them the difference? Any recommendations on how I can state the obvious since his "Dinan expert" thinks he knows whats up?

Thanks...it should not be this difficult!
Search brother

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=dinan+tsb
      06-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
canesr1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Metallic Black

I would call dinan directly and have them call your dealer. Their contact info is on their website.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
jchristena
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post

I know how to search, but thanks . I actually have that PDF and sent a copy to my SA last week when I made the appt. Apparently it is not good enough. They are still under the impression that it is only for autos. I was more hoping there was a TSB # to address the auto fix so I could send them both numbers. Didn't see that information via search.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
jchristena
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesr1 View Post
I would call dinan directly and have them call your dealer. Their contact info is on their website.
Thats probably the best idea. If they still can't figure it out in the morning, I'll give them a call. Thanks for the suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
I know how to search, but thanks . I actually have that PDF and sent a copy to my SA last week when I made the appt. Apparently it is not good enough. They are still under the impression that it is only for autos. I was more hoping there was a TSB # to address the auto fix so I could send them both numbers. Didn't see that information via search.

Ok, well it may be time to find a new dealer
      06-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
funkdoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Space Gray/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Ok, well it may be time to find a new dealer
Or better yet, hop in your car, set your GPS to Morgan Hill, CA, and head West towards the Pacific Ocean. We take care of you and we'll reimburse your gas and your lodging and your pain and suffering. NOT!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

the paper says revision 1 was recalled due to emission compliance and throttle "lag".

make the read that part out loud to them.

Why is your SA involved? The PA is the guy that does the dinan flash. I just pulled up into a parking spot and they cooked the ecu right there

I guess different dealers do it differently. My dealer is very nice. get to know the guy that flashes your car. you can learn alot about how things work.

One thing i found amazing was the fact that everyone seemed to like their job at the dealer. Even the lady at the food counter. That was very refreshing.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 09:07 AM   #9
jchristena
Enlisted Member
Rep

Status

So, this is the email I received from my dealer this morning. Are they right? Does rev II only cover auto cars? Everything that I have read on here seemed to indicated that rev II applied to manual cars as well....hmmm

John,

After speaking with Sean Wheeler at Dinan I have a bit more understanding of what the issues were with there software. It was explained to me that none of the manual transmission cars were affected with the boost issues or the throttle response issue therefore would not necessitate a reflash. Sean is actually the one over there who discovered the problems with the software. He wrote the bulletin you forwarded to Scott. He can answer any questions you may have about the technical stuff I may not be able to answer. His phone # is 408-779-8584 ext. 115

Apparantly, this is the email from Dinan:
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 4:27 PM
To: Barnes,Bo
Subject: Re: 335i update/ Jose Malacara

Bo

i had replied to your voicemail, leaving another voicemail

the patch only applies to stage 2 AUTOMATIC cars only.... the manual cars where not effected by the throttle responce concerns OR the boost concerns..

hope this helps

call me back if you have any more questions

Sean Wheeler
Tech Support/Warranty Manager
(408) 779-8584 X115
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
canesr1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So, this is the email I received from my dealer this morning. Are they right? Does rev II only cover auto cars? Everything that I have read on here seemed to indicated that rev II applied to manual cars as well....hmmm

John,

After speaking with Sean Wheeler at Dinan I have a bit more understanding of what the issues were with there software. It was explained to me that none of the manual transmission cars were affected with the boost issues or the throttle response issue therefore would not necessitate a reflash. Sean is actually the one over there who discovered the problems with the software. He wrote the bulletin you forwarded to Scott. He can answer any questions you may have about the technical stuff I may not be able to answer. His phone # is 408-779-8584 ext. 115

Apparantly, this is the email from Dinan:
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 4:27 PM
To: Barnes,Bo
Subject: Re: 335i update/ Jose Malacara

Bo

i had replied to your voicemail, leaving another voicemail

the patch only applies to stage 2 AUTOMATIC cars only.... the manual cars where not effected by the throttle responce concerns OR the boost concerns..

hope this helps

call me back if you have any more questions

Sean Wheeler
Tech Support/Warranty Manager
(408) 779-8584 X115
That's really weird since I just got reflashed tuesday on my 6MT and the throttle response is DEFINATELY different. I had the original flash back in december. I didn't want to have this new version but they dealer called me and told me about this free update and how I "had" to have it. he said their was something in the new version for emissons too.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #11
jchristena
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesr1 View Post
That's really weird since I just got reflashed tuesday on my 6MT and the throttle response is DEFINATELY different. I had the original flash back in december. I didn't want to have this new version but they dealer called me and told me about this free update and how I "had" to have it. he said their was something in the new version for emissons too.
Yea, I'm kind of at a loss for what to do here...

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #12
canesr1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea, I'm kind of at a loss for what to do here...

Thanks for the info.
Here is my dealer's number 1-800-thompson. Ask for Dan. He handles all things dinan. They are one of the largest dinan retailers on the east coast. Maybe he can answer some things for you... it can't hurt
Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 11:05 AM   #13
jchristena
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks...calling now.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
jchristena
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, I actually called up Sean at Dinan. At my request he went and checked w/ the software guys about the flash. He came back to the phone and confirmed that I was right and that rev II does cover manual transmissions. He is supposed to be emailing the dealer now to let them know what is up. We'll see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #15
canesr1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, I actually called up Sean at Dinan. At my request he went and checked w/ the software guys about the flash. He came back to the phone and confirmed that I was right and that rev II does cover manual transmissions. He is supposed to be emailing the dealer now to let them know what is up. We'll see what happens.
Well, any news???
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #16
jchristena
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, after me playing the middle man between BMW and Dinan, it looks like it is all sorted out. I am having the update done tomorrow at 4. We'll se how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #17
Robertbog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Lol I heard steve dinan explain the need for the update for throttle mapping, should be on youtube.

Quote:
Well, after me playing the middle man between BMW and Dinan, it looks like it is all sorted out. I am having the update done tomorrow at 4. We'll se how it goes.
Gotta love stealerships
Appreciate 0