E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > [[[_ Dinan Stage II Rev - Review & Dyno & Comp _]]]

06-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Exclamation [[[_ Dinan Stage II Rev - Review & Dyno & Comp _]]]

Opening

Well guys, after about 300 miles or so and a few times modifying my car, I am happy to say I found the right tune for my own piece of mind. Other tunes that I have tried have been: SSTT, AA XEDE, and AA AP. I will go into detail later in my reviews, but I just wanted to give you a taste of how I felt. Now into the dark-side......

Dinan@Habberstad BMW [Huntington Station, NY]

I knew I always wanted to get the Dinan II flash, but I just could never justify the price for what it’s really worth. I called Mike at Parts and had a good chat with him about the software. I must of called him about 10x over the course of a week before I ready to pull the trigger. I finally made my appointment, but I didn’t really like the guy who was going to schedule. I was told everything was going to be set for Tuesday, but when I called back on Monday the schedule (head of service, he called himself) was very rude. I almost gave up at that point, since Tuesday, I took off from going to work, and I was already off from college. I called Mike and he some how worked me in, after the “head of service” telling me, that Mike wouldn’t be able to do anything, since he was the “head.” I never ended seeing that guy......when I was there. I asked Mike, would I need to take out my mods before coming to dealer, he was....... “No...” I was like, there is a god!!! I wouldn’t mind taking it out, but it’s just time consuming to take out and put back in......

Time line

Wake up @ 645AM - Get ready.
Leave @ 710AM - Get the iDrive working, head out.
Get to BMW @ 745AM - Meet up with Kevin [SA] -- Let me tell you.. Kevin is one of the coolest SA ever, I don’t service my car there, but after chatting with the whole squad... makes me want to switch!!
Chilling@8AM - Awaiting everything to get finalized.
Bad news@830AM - Dinan was overnighting them something new, so it was going to be in around 1..... Kevin told me to come back and he’ll take care of me when it was ready
Left@840AM - Back home, 20 mins.
Home@9AM - Home, the long part now.
Boredness@9AM-1059 - Argh, the forums!!
Almighty call@11AM - It’s ready!!!!!

Anyways, sorry for the time line... I just wanted you to be in my little world for the day at dinan. It’s like a kid at a candy store, haha! After everything was said and done, now began my wait period for the car to get flashed. I hear my car enter the shop, because of all the loud revving and my bov blowing off, I was like......awww there she is..... Now as I’m waiting, not much to do....... I was like hmm, when this bitch going to be ready... The tech that was working on my car comes out and goes, wow..... the flash ate it like crazy... we should be good to go asap. Then we chatted about my car and how he like all my mods and stuff, I was like cool...... thanks Everything ran perfectly, just the software or something was delayed, but it was cool.. I’m overall happy with that dealer, so far.

Stage II Overall

As, I was driving to the dealer, I was rolling stock expect for exhaust and BOV. The car felt very sluggish, I was like..... this is a big boring. Right when I walked out of the dealer and I hit the main road, I pinched it and I was like..... lord this thing flies. 1st gear- is like a rocket, it’s the gear that just launches you up to about 30 mph, like nothing. Overall first is nice, but it really has the responsive power “push.” 2nd/3rd gear- These two are both my two favorite gears, they are very smooth and deliver power like a crazy, what am I saying, the whole tune is great. I’ve only driving about 300-400 miles give or take now and overall, I’m a very happy camper. I was driving on the parkway one day and heading down, and giving it a nice gun.... I lost traction in about 3rd gear... I was like really? I really think I made the right turn to grab the flash. If some of you guys are really having trouble deciding is it worth the money, I couldn’t be happier. Now after all, I have that piece of mind that I can just go to the dealer safely without any worries, and that was a big thing for me. The car has the power that it was once lacking, it feels as the car should of came like this out of the box. I’m not sure about you guys, but with me.... and I gun it... you hear that sound like.... “oh the boost is kicking in..” It’s just that sound, I can’t really describe it, but you know what I mean, I hope... lol.
I also have to say BMW made some good seats, but since this flash... I get jerked back into my seat like no tomorrow! I’m really pleased. A++

Flash VS: SSTT, AP/XEDE

SSTT

I never thought I would really “chip” my car per-say, but once the mod-bug hits.. It’s like crack. SSTT, was always my mod of taste, since it was rather easy to install/uninstall then other piggyback units. I was always pleased with the SSTT, since it gave that extra boost and ran the car of where it should of been. I wouldn’t say SSTT is comparable to the flash, just basing on numbers and driving the car. The SSTT was fast to begin with, but after driving with it for a few months, it never really gave me that throw back in the seat reaction, every-time, as the flash does. I understand there is only so much you really can do with the tmap sensor, but the SSTT is reasonable priced for the amount of power you really get. And the only other thing I didn’t like was the adapt period, about ~1-2 days for power curve gain.

AA

Now on to the Active Autowerke AP/Xede - AA has always had a good name in the BMW community since they been around to make reliable products that work. Lately, I’m not sure if they are thinking straight or what, but from the lack of testing and forum threads, I’ve seen.... this product is in need of a new map. The name of AA is slowly going down from what I see, as the customer support has really tapered into the gutter as of recently. Don’t get me wrong AA has good ideas and on most of their products are pretty good designed (as my BOV) but for their chips, I just don’t understand if people are getting limps, why not address the problem then getting blown up on the forums and looking like a bad company? I’ve ran both the AP/Xede and from my knowledge when I would go WOT, I would get a limp here and there. I was running 93 octane, so no harm there, I just think it’s to much for the car or something. I think it’s a map error, so I’m not sure why AA hasn’t came out with something new for all it’s customers. The AA AP is nice none-the-less since it’s more of a true piggyback more-or-less. I would say this is more comparable to the flash, since it taps into the ECU unit. I wouldn’t recommend getting this until they fix the problem, but it causes you to take it slow when you are driving a sports car? My wiring was correct as checked by me and a performance shop, but I guess it was map... that’s what I’m going to conclude. I had this unit in my car for one day, but the power is nice and in the same ball park as the Dinan, very nice indeed. I just wish they fixed the maps or the errors at WOT, and then this thing would be golden! Power gain was ~30mins-2hrs.

Dyno

Yesterday, was a long overdue day, but rather fun! I went to go get my boost gauge installed and also got a dyno. I dropped my car off at 12, came back by 1.. everything was installed and was dyno time! I did three pulls on the dyno and I am going to post up my best run since I have to go up to fedex/kinkos for a scanner since my two are broken. I’ll also post max boost.

Dyno Charts

Other Pics

Closing

Thanks for reading. If you have any questions please do ask, I’ll try to answer them best as I could.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW DCT M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
Sweeeeeeeet!!!!!!!! Im with you on the Dinan Tune...Couldnt be happier with the decision... Question, I may have missed it but, I saw the WHP from the Dyno, what WTQ did you see? I went to the Dyno earlier in the week and the my numbers were a little less then what was expected...
      06-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
Alessandro
Major
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Garage List
2011 335is  [9.50]
great review thanks for the write up.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
whoa 343whp on a dyno dynamics?!? Whats the torque numbers?

Impressive!
      06-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post
whoa 343whp on a dyno dynamics?!? Whats the torque numbers?

Impressive!
343 HP (wheels)
391-2 TOR (wheels)

the dotted line is tor on the dyno.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Do you have 6AT or 6MT?
      06-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
Do you have 6AT or 6MT?
6AT.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPDAN View Post
Sweeeeeeeet!!!!!!!! Im with you on the Dinan Tune...Couldnt be happier with the decision... Question, I may have missed it but, I saw the WHP from the Dyno, what WTQ did you see? I went to the Dyno earlier in the week and the my numbers were a little less then what was expected...
WTQ is dotted line on the dyno from what I was told..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
nj335i
Modaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEOVR View Post
343 HP (wheels)
391-2 TOR (wheels)

the dotted line is tor on the dyno.
Congrats! That's probably higher than most people expected! Would you happen to have a stock dyno for comparison?

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #10
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj335i View Post
Congrats! That's probably higher than most people expected! Would you happen to have a stock dyno for comparison?
I don't have stock... as I was only stock for like 2 weeks... when I got my car back in Dec...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:20 AM   #11
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Nice dyno numbers... your boost gauge is worth 20hp easy! (because its just so dang cool!)

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #12
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Maybe it's my eyes, but I can't make out what boost you were making ...?

What's you peak boost with the Stg II flash?
      06-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #13
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

Looks like max boost is 14.2
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #14
GBX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997.1 GT3

nice dude! I'll be heading to habberstad to get my flash once they release it for these newer ECU's!

What dyno facility is that? Dont know of many on LI. Always get my dyno's done in CT.

Great numbers and thanks for the review!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #15
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
nice dude! I'll be heading to habberstad to get my flash once they release it for these newer ECU's!

What dyno facility is that? Dont know of many on LI. Always get my dyno's done in CT.

Great numbers and thanks for the review!
RCT in college point, queens, ny.

I might try a dynojet next in great neck...

Maybe a dyno day? GB or something I an work on pricing.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:51 AM   #16
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

If you got your car in December, I'm guessing you don't have 29.2 then??
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #17
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an asshole

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
gameovr im pretty sure you have to take off your blow off or it voids the dinan warranty
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #18
Zimo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW335

Oh nice, I'm thinking about getting stage II when Dinan release it for the new DME. I should ask for mike also when the times come then? (I bought my car from Habberstad , really good dealer.)
More mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #19
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
If you got your car in December, I'm guessing you don't have 29.2 then??
you are correct...
      06-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #20
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimo View Post
Oh nice, I'm thinking about getting stage II when Dinan release it for the new DME. I should ask for mike also when the times come then? (I bought my car from Habberstad , really good dealer.)
Mike is the man. Talk to him.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #21
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanJJ09 View Post
gameovr im pretty sure you have to take off your blow off or it voids the dinan warranty
If that turns the case, it will be off trust me. Thats like telling the other piggybackers to take out their piggys before they go for service. Common knowledge. Sorry for the tone, I know you are warning me.. mucho love for my dinan brother.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #22
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
WOW!!!! That TQ is insane.... I need to go re dyno on a dyno jet or something other than the one I did...