BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

06-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #1
Qship2
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupé

Porsche 997 TT v- 2008 M3 Coupé at high speed - first hand accounts requested

First let me qualify this. I am not saying that the M3 is faster than a Porsche 997 TT at all speeds with equal drivers. I know the stats. I have seen the videos.

After a lot of back and forth in a couple of different threads, the recommendation was to start a new one, apologize for not being clear on exactly what I was saying and then state simply what I say happened.

Start speed around 180-200kmph+ on the Autobahn.

It is my experience that if you shift well, that the M3 was able to overtake and put distance between the 997 TT on the way back up to 250kmph, this happened a more than a few times (two different cars.) We did maintain safe distance and respected each other's lanes. This could mean that the Porsche drivers were a bit slow on their shifts, shifted too soon, started in a higher gear such as 5th or 6th, etc. It could also mean that they were humoring me...but with a (hot) girlfriend in the passenger seat I doubt it.

The best run for one of the 997 TTs was when we started and he got right over to the right hand lane after the slower car cleared for a side by side. I was able to pull up from behind so that the back of my door was next to his front bumper in 6th before he braked and slipped into the left lane behind me due to slower traffic.

My recommendation is to use the higher RPM capability of the V8 to your advantage. I was ready in 4th @ 5500-6000 RPMs at start, ran it up to 8000, and repeated with quick shifts.

I am looking for outside confirmation from someone else who might have a similar experience, so lay off on the responses if all you have to say is that I am misguided, delusional, or worse.

There are some other members here in Germany, so it is just a matter of time before a 997 TT zips up behind one of them on the Autobahn with a mind to keep the pecking order in place.

Let's see if anyone else reports same, similar, or gets their ass handed to them on a plate. I am looking for first hand accounts only.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
In case of troll, break glass

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Sorry, but your just babbling. So, you are basically racing a 997tt unbeknownst to the 997 driver that a race is about to happen, catching him/her in a much higher gear, etc.. ? Any type of fair race whatsoever will favor the tt, even giving you and your pipe dream a head start.

And, if you knew what a "hot" girlfriend was, you would realize that she could care less about such things. Besides, are you old enough to drive?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
Qship2
Germany
Rep

I wuv you too wittle ihyln.

Let me clarify. I am not stating anything since I cannot prove anything.

I am looking for other members who have actual experience. That is it. If anyone reports similar then great.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
So what you are basically saying is that the Porsche driver may have been in 6th when you were in 4th, he might not have wanted a true race and only humoured you. His girl friend may even had said stop this is silly, etc, etc. It may have been a 997C4S with spoiler and wheels.

The list of possible reasons for your win goes on and on.

I admire your doggedness for sticking to your guns and trying to prove your point but every form of logic says that what you are saying is and let me say this softy for you is

BULL SHIT

Why stop with a 997tt, why not ask for those who have raced and beaten a Bugatti Veyron or McLaren F1 or possibly an Enzo, hack there is a lot of extreme stuff out there to be beaten by the mighty M3 is endless and so is your pipe dream.

P.S.
I heard the other day that an M3 with German plates did the ring in four minutes flat.

Wouldn't happen to be yours was it?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
So what you are basically saying is that the Porsche driver may have been in 6th when you were in 4th, he might not have wanted a true race and only humoured you. His girl friend may even had said stop this is silly, etc, etc. It may have been a 997C4S with spoiler and wheels.

I admire your doggedness for sticking to your guns and trying to prove your point but every form of logic says that what you are saying is and let me say this softy for you is

BULL SHIT

Why stop with a 997tt, why not ask for those who have raced and beaten a Bugatti Veyron or McLaren F1 or possibly an Enzo, hack there is a lot of extreme stuff out there to be beaten by the mighty M3 is endless and so is your pipe dream.

P.S.
I heard the other day that an M3 with German plates did the ring in four minutes flat.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

I'm not sure what the video has to do with the discussion, it's a 911 TT vs a M6, and the 911 TT walked on the M6 easily, doesn't help your case, because a M6 will pull on the M3.

quite a bit too as you can see

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Qship,

Here's a little street race among M cars which might interest you.

What can I say, didn't the M3 do well in all of those races.

P.S.

I doubt to many people will post and agree with you if they want to keep their credibility.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 03:42 PM   #9
M3NTAL
Baller, Shot Caller
United_States
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper S, AMG G55 & more

Quote:

BULL SHIT

If I'm not mistaken

P.S.

This is really cruel, immature, and ignorant. Yes that word again... He admitted that it may not actually have been a race, the 997TT might not have been going at it hard, and you provided other reasons which I'm sure he'd agree with. Why must you continue to belittle and taunt him. I've stood with you on a couple issues before footie, so I'm not just defending him, I'm standing for what's right. YES he may be wrong, YES he was ignorant before, but what he is doing here is admitting to his mistakes. Maybe you should move on, that would be the mature thing to do. We're all adults here, so maybe we should start acting like them, instead of middle-school aged girls. I've moved on and stopped stooping to such a low level, it's not hard to be nice.

WHOOPS I guess I just ruined my credibility. Since footie now controls the opinion of, and represents all that is m3post.com.

Get over it dude.

This isn't personal, this goes out to everyone, is it REALLY necessary to act like this all the time?

Ask yourself that question, in a mature state of mind. You'll find the answer is no, unless you are a low-life, friendless asshole.
      06-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
M3NTAL,

I am only trying to show that such a thread can go nowhere fast. The 997tt is in a different league to the M3 but the title of the thread proves that he hasn't seen the errors of his ways.

But if you want I will cut this kid a break, though I can't say that everyone else will do the same, especially if he insists in thinking that the M3 is this almighty power house of a motor.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #11
M3NTAL
Baller, Shot Caller
United_States
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper S, AMG G55 & more

I'm just tired of all this bullshit and fighting that CONSTANTLY goes on in this forum.
      06-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #12
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NTAL View Post
I'm just tired of all this bullshit and fighting that CONSTANTLY goes on in this forum.
In general things aren't that bad, sure when someone says something totally unbelieveable we all jump on the bandwagon but surely that's understandable. We need logical debates to get a decent discussion but the above is not that, ever you have to agree with that.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #13
V8convert
Private
Rep
Drives: Waiting for the perfect V8

Quote:
BULL SHIT
Logical debate?

At least no spelling mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #14
Qship2
Germany
Rep

I was asking for first hand accounts positive or negative. That is it.

Actually, I do not think that the M3 is a powerhouse god motor, nor do I think that I somehow have that Superfriends power that makes a car lift off. I have been enjoying my new M3 quite a bit, but I was rather stunned when I outshifted these two 997 TTs or whatever the hell happened.

Of course ihyln used his one trick anti-troll juice pony again. Any other cute and witty graphics, or are you going to try to spray me with that every time? You left me alone in the other thread...then suddenly I post a new thread and you are trying to get popular with your disparaging peers? Where did you find that product? Did someone once use it on you?

M3NTAL
Thanks, but I am the one making the apparently crazy claims here. If you plan on long term membership, apparently it does not benefit you to step out of line with accepted paradigms. Great to meet you here online.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #15
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
If you were a peer you would have shut up and agreed that the M3 would not beat a 997TT. The fact that are you still continuing your crusade leads me to believe you must be some undercover troll from another forum.

You should be honored that I go through the effort of google image searching for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:05 PM   #16
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

God people!

"never wrestle with a pigs, you get dirty and the pig likes it"

So, is the pigheaded poster the pig or is it the rude, uncultured and pigheaded posters?

Damn, now I need a bath too.
Appreciate 0