E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > The everlasting traffic announcement

03-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 320dSE

Question The everlasting traffic announcement

OK, I've had my 320d for about a month now, and am beginning to get to know it better. I've come across a couple of minor issues with the electronics which I have not seen posted here yet. I'll post them in separate threads.

The everlasting traffic announcement
Sometimes a traffic announcement does not cancel at the end of the traffic report. This seems to happen a lot with announcements from BBC Radio London. You can quite frequently find yourself listening to the radio instead of your CD, as the audio system has not switched back. Pressing the Voice command button twice seems to kick the system out of this mode and back to whatever you were listening to previously.

Any ideas or similar reports?
The Car is a late Jan'06 320d, UK spec with i-drive, Pro nav, CD changer and bluetooth, Basic (not hifi or L7) amp/speaker package.

[for the benefit of my US cousins. Traffic Announcement (TA or TP) mode switches from your current audio source to a radio station broadcasting a local traffic report, supposedly for the duration of that report]
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 11:21 AM   #2
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by London320d
OK, I've had my 320d for about a month now, and am beginning to get to know it better. I've come across a couple of minor issues with the electronics which I have not seen posted here yet. I'll post them in separate threads.

The everlasting traffic announcement
Sometimes a traffic announcement does not cancel at the end of the traffic report. This seems to happen a lot with announcements from BBC Radio London. You can quite frequently find yourself listening to the radio instead of your CD, as the audio system has not switched back. Pressing the Voice command button twice seems to kick the system out of this mode and back to whatever you were listening to previously.

Any ideas or similar reports?
The Car is a late Jan'06 320d, UK spec with i-drive, Pro nav, CD changer and bluetooth, Basic (not hifi or L7) amp/speaker package.

[for the benefit of my US cousins. Traffic Announcement (TA or TP) mode switches from your current audio source to a radio station broadcasting a local traffic report, supposedly for the duration of that report]
Hi London.
I've had similar problems recently, after upgrading my wk36 330iSE with CIP20 & the mp3 retrofit.

The problem only occurs with BBC Radio Newcastle, which is broadcast from over 40 miles away. All other local stations work fine.
Even so, if I leave it for another couple of minutes, as it goes into the news headlines, it DOES switch back.
I think it's either a problem with the RDS station's signal strength in your particular location, or the station just isn't sending the 'turn off' signal when it should be.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 02:24 PM   #3
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Signal strength isn't a problem. I was thinking that maybe the end of announcement marker was being missed or not transmitted. I've downloaded the RDS spec to see that the transmissions should be (just for my curiosity!). Being the BBC, I doubt they are doing anyting wrong, but maybe they are being to pedantic about the spec or somthing.

Thinking back to my E46. I do recall a few occasions when TA took longer to revert than it should, but it did timeout as you describe above, I can't recall clearly, but it may well have been BBC London. So maybe it is something that auntie is doing wrong (well not quite right).

I've switched FM station to LBC (a London news station) and continued to listen to CD. Since then I have been receiving update TA announcements that cut out correctly from LBC, but have not heard announcements from elsewhere. I find this strange as the TA normally switches between several local staions (and occasionally some not so local ones). Whilst I'm happy just getting the LBC stuff, I can't help wondering whats happened to the rest. The manual does not seem to explain this too well and some funtionality to select a particular TA station apperantly exists, but is not well explained. (mine's set to auto). In additon there seems to be a master RDS on/off in the manual which is not on my vehicle.

Oh well, I'll contiue to monitor whats happening, analyse my observations and then decide what to do. I have the skills (electronics degree, microprocessor design/programming skills over 20years etc) to narrow the problem down, but will probably then hit a brick wall when I try to get something done about it.

Just re-read my post. To explain, "Auntie" is an affectionate term for the BBC
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've switched FM station to LBC (a London news station) and continued to listen to CD. Since then I have been receiving update TA announcements that cut out correctly from LBC, but have not heard announcements from elsewhere. I find this strange as the TA normally switches between several local staions (and occasionally some not so local ones). Whilst I'm happy just getting the LBC stuff, I can't help wondering whats happened to the rest. The manual does not seem to explain this too well and some funtionality to select a particular TA station apperantly exists, but is not well explained. (mine's set to auto). In additon there seems to be a master RDS on/off in the manual which is not on my vehicle.
My TA choice is set to auto also. I'll have to have a play with the car & handbook to check on a master RDS switch.

I also never have any problem with the TA timeout when a local non-BBC radio station is picked up.

As for your electronics skills London, I think jhbodle could do with your help in his in-car surveillance project.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 03:14 PM   #5
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk
My TA choice is set to auto also. I'll have to have a play with the car & handbook to check on a master RDS switch.
Do you have any alternatives listed. I think originally I had some, but now there's only auto. I was too busy playing with the rest of the toys to have got around to setting up the radio then. The RDS switch I'm describing supposedly appears(or not!) on some of the "Set" submenus for of the FM preset lists.

Quote:
....As for your electronics skills London, I think jhbodle could do with your help in his in-car surveillance project.
Years ago, I'd have tackled something like that, but now I sometimes I can barely find the time to breathe!. I blame work and spending too much of the rest of my time at the airfield!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 03:46 PM   #6
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you have any alternatives listed. I think originally I had some, but now there's only auto. I was too busy playing with the rest of the toys to have got around to setting up the radio then. The RDS switch I'm describing supposedly appears(or not!) on some of the "Set" submenus for of the FM preset lists.
I don't think there are any alternatives I've seen, but I'll have another look.

Quote:
Years ago, I'd have tackled something like that, but now I sometimes I can barely find the time to breathe!. I blame work and spending too much of the rest of my time at the airfield!
Shame you can't make the UK meet, London.
Hmm...I wonder how difficult it would be to organise a meet for some photos at an airfield over the summer? Sounds like you are the person to know?!

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
...Hmm...I wonder how difficult it would be to organise a meet for some photos at an airfield over the summer? Sounds like you are the person to know?!
Caution there, as most UK insurance would not cover vehicles on airfields.

Other reasons as well. I'll IM you.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2006, 10:55 AM   #8
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Question:

Do U.S. spec 3 series have a traffic announcement mode? I noticed that the Lexus is250/350 has a TRAF button and that our AM stations send out a signal that the Lexus picks up.

IS that what the BMW does?

Thanks.

Larry in Los Angeles
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2006, 02:13 PM   #9
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320 D, March 2006,

Quote:
[I]Any ideas or similar reports?
Hi,

I think this issue is non BMW specific, I have had many cars with TA and all of them at some point have done this...

I had always assumed that the person who turns it on for that radio station when the TA starts, forgot to send the turn off pulse. Usually when it continues it can last for 5 mins 10mis... etc but at some point it usually will go back by itself, or eventually you get bored and do it yourself!

Dave
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2006, 01:21 AM   #10
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

I considered something similar, but that does not explain why I can cancel it with the Voice command button. If the station was still ttransmitting th announcement signal, it's switch straight back (as it does if I turn the vehicle on in the middle of a real announcment).

I'm having a s/w update done next week (regarding a false DSC/RPA failure alert) I'll question the dealier if I get a chance.
Appreciate 0