E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Another Fuel Pump on an 08!

06-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
rmdvrs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

Another Fuel Pump on an 08!

Hey,
I have an 08 (production date of 12/07) e92 that I just leased about a month ago. It had about a 100 miles on it when I got it and then around 360 I came back after a nice run, not too hard but hard enough, leave it parked for about five hours and try to start it and it cranks but doesnt start. It just stalled. I thought maybe it was due to me putting the car in reverse too quickly but when I tryed again it had a long crank but eventually started. I didnt think much of it till it began again around 440 miles where it would start but it would have a long crank. I immediately took it to the dealer and the SA said I dont think its the fuel pump cause they resolved that issue but based on my research here I was having the same symptoms so they took a look at it. He checked it out and told me that the pump tested fine but it threw a code so they are replacing it. I got the car back and invoice shows:
cust reports after car sit over nite it will have a prolong crank over
high pressure fuel pump has low fuel pump
replaced high pressure fuel pump
1 pk130308 fuel system
1 13-51-7-585-655 rmfd high pressure
1 11-61-7-547-242 set of profile gask
1 13-53-7-582-770 asa-bolt
I dont get why the SA said that because based on the invoice it was no good. So I guess at 454 miles I have now had it replaced which really sucks because I cant believe BMW still hasnt fixed this problem. I hope atleast I got a good one this time. Also based on the invoice I dont think they updated my progman but I have noticed a few things.
1) the exhaust is louder now in D, which was a sign of the update
2) when I used to have the radio on while the nav was running it
would keep the sound level the same and the nav would just speak.
Now it lowers the sound of the radio, gives you the instruction and
then raises the sound back to what it was. So something got reset
but I dont know what cause I dont remember seeing that option in
the idrive.
3) there is a metalic clicking/scratching kind of noise that comes from
the exhaust on startup
Other than those three things the car feels pretty much the same, maybe a little faster or more responsive in D which I dont know why. Maybe cause the fuel pump is working now.

On a side note I am having them install the ipod retrofit kit today and told them to make sure they dont update the progman so I am hoping its not required when they do an idrive software update. Sorry for the long post but I felt like ranting a little. Thanks to the forum cause if it wasnt for me pushing based on what I learned here they probably would have never thought about the pump.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
#3 is the driver's side exhaust flap that opens after a minute or two, it's normal. As for the performance of the fuel pump, I'm not sure if "going bad" makes a difference, the pump either makes the recommended pressure or it doesn't, then you go into limp mode. Remanufactured pumps have been ok for the most part from what I read.
      06-06-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
rmdvrs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I figured thats what #3 was but what is the point of the flap. Yeah and if its not giving the proper pressure wouldnt that lead to less gas being delivered to the engine and thus the a/f ratio would be off causing it to not have the power it is capable of. I dont know, I may be making it too simplistic.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdvrs View Post
I figured thats what #3 was but what is the point of the flap. Yeah and if its not giving the proper pressure wouldnt that lead to less gas being delivered to the engine and thus the a/f ratio would be off causing it to not have the power it is capable of. I dont know, I may be making it too simplistic.
a/f is calculated realtime in a closed loop scenario... DME sniffs out the actual afr coming out of the exhaust and adjusts accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdvrs View Post
It is very simplistic in nature, it's very high pressure, and if it drops, performance will suffer as the DME puts the car into limp mode, so pumps don't "start to go bad", they just get cut off before harm can be done, so BMW thought of that, or maybe they knew the pump vendor wasn't up to the demands of the car.
      06-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

08 pumps are failing, just not as many as before.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:50 PM   #7
rmdvrs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah but talk about luck of the draw cause I have a friend who has an 07 and she has never had a problem.
Appreciate 0