BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Rain = Free Car Wash

03-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Question Rain = Free Car Wash

In SoCal we've been miraculously getting rain during the past month. I haven't washed my car in a while and don't plan to while the rain sporadically continues.

So when it does rain, I leave my car out on the rooftop and BAM – my car is clean! Especially the back end, where we know all the dirt can accumulate on the bumper ledge (especially after a short rain).

Is this good for the clear coat or does it accelerate the wear and tear? I don’t have any special coating other than I wax the car.

PS-I don't always leave it out (the car gets clean after a day of heavy rain), but depending on the responses, maybe I should!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #2
MrKepan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18MY M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogerf View Post
In SoCal we've been miraculously getting rain during the past month. I haven't washed my car in a while and don't plan to while the rain sporadically continues.

So when it does rain, I leave my car out on the rooftop and BAM – my car is clean! Especially the back end, where we know all the dirt can accumulate on the bumper ledge (especially after a short rain).

Is this good for the clear coat or does it accelerate the wear and tear? I don’t have any special coating other than I wax the car.

PS-I don't always leave it out (the car gets clean after a day of heavy rain), but depending on the responses, maybe I should!
Look around at another average car for commute and you will have an idea what you can expect.

Rain water in LA might be slightly acidic, which may accelerate corrosion. I would not let the rain dry repeatedly. Because the rain will dissolve minerals you pick up from the road and will leave permanent marks when dry. Same reason to towel dry after wash with tap water and not let it air dry.

It might not be too bad if you wash it monthly. I always wash my car after the rain if there won't by any rain in the next 3-4 days.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #3
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Long Beach Blue M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
As long as you continue to wash regularly I don't think it will cause any damage. It's just water, it might be slightly more or less acidic based on your environment, but that should be nothing compared to bird bombs or other sources.

I wouldn't call it a free car wash, but it's nothing to worry about unless you live in an area with a lot of acid rain.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 08:52 AM   #4
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

Funny you posted this. A few days ago I posted something similar on the "what did you do to your....." thread.

I'd been pretty busy and knew some rain was coming so the car was pretty dirty; mostly that tennis ball yellow pollen that's so bad in my area in the spring.

I was working from home and the promised rain came. I pulled both cars into the driveway for a free, lazy man's car wash. It didn't look like a real wash, but it sure looked better after than before by a long shot.

I still wash it regularly but will take advantage of mother nature when it makes sense. I think as long as you keep some wax on the car you'll be fine (and cleanish).

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 05:21 PM   #5
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

No, I would never do this...especially in LA.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 11:46 AM   #6
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I plan to wash it soon, now that the rain has gone for a minute!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #7
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Long Beach Blue M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Like a previous poster said, if you have a good wax on your car or have had it ceramic coated, you'll be fine. Most you have to worry about is the water spots, which will come off in the wash or with a clay bar. It's not like your talking about using the rain as an excuse to never wash your car, anyway.
Appreciate 1
geogerf115.50
      03-25-2018, 01:09 AM   #8
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

haha funny thread, when it rains and i get lazy, i pull my car out to the driveway, soak it, shampoo it, wash it off with rain then put my car back in then dry it

regardless of what wax you have, water crystallising on paint is never good, so the last part is critical
      04-02-2018, 01:44 PM   #9
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Rain is considered as contaminant from pro-detailers perspective.
Of course, it will not be hazardous as to snow and NaCl mix on the road that Canadians see all the time for more than 6 months per year.

Maintaining your car in and out on regular bases using proper soap and washing meathod will be the best way to go
Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910903.50
Who?484.50