E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > M3 Subframe Bushings on XDrive?

03-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #1
kenmar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

M3 Subframe Bushings on XDrive?

My mechanic tells me that it's not worthwhile to install rear M3 subframe bushings in a 335Xi. He's done so for some customer's that have observed only a minor improvement. He mentioned that the impact is not as dramatic as it is on RWD. This is the first I've heard of this on AWD since there seem to be lots of positive feedback from people on this forum. Regardless, I'm still planning on installing the bushings, along with an M3 antisway bar, M3 guide rods, M3 wishbones and poly diff bushings.

I just had yellow Strong poly thrust arm bushings installed up front and it was well worth paying less than $100 for the bushings and 1h of labor for install. They tightened up the handling and removed the minor rattle I was getting up front. Hopefully, they will stay squeak free through winter driving. I noticed that Turner is now selling thrust arms with ball joint bearings for the E90 at $500. Those would be nice to have, but a bit too pricey.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 12:08 AM   #2
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmar View Post
My mechanic tells me that it's not worthwhile to install rear M3 subframe bushings in a 335Xi. He's done so for some customer's that have observed only a minor improvement. He mentioned that the impact is not as dramatic as it is on RWD. This is the first I've heard of this on AWD since there seem to be lots of positive feedback from people on this forum. Regardless, I'm still planning on installing the bushings, along with an M3 antisway bar, M3 guide rods, M3 wishbones and poly diff bushings.

I just had yellow Strong poly thrust arm bushings installed up front and it was well worth paying less than $100 for the bushings and 1h of labor for install. They tightened up the handling and removed the minor rattle I was getting up front. Hopefully, they will stay squeak free through winter driving. I noticed that Turner is now selling thrust arms with ball joint bearings for the E90 at $500. Those would be nice to have, but a bit too pricey.
I have all that on my xi and the m3 rear subframe bushings made a night and day difference. Only thing i don't have is poly diff bushings i heard stiff ones make the diff whine. I would most likely go with the m3 diff bushings
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #3
kenmar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2485 View Post
I have all that on my xi and the m3 rear subframe bushings made a night and day difference. Only thing i don't have is poly diff bushings i heard stiff ones make the diff whine. I would most likely go with the m3 diff bushings
I wonder if those that observe a minor improvement are those that only change the RSB? Perhaps the whole package makes a more substantial impact.

I am also leery of squeaking/whine from diff bushings, but it appears that the non-M and M3 only share the front mounting bushing; the rear mount appears different according to the Powerflex site. Strangely, I can't find the bushings on the RealOEM site; they have fluid/seals listed, but no bushings. If you can R&R the diff bushings w/o removing the subframe, I would readily try the poly; anyone know if that is possible?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
Mistajay
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have some information for you guys,

This winter i do massive upgrade on my rear end of my car.

I intall :

H&R Sway bar
LSD Mfactory,
M3 control Arm
All other bushing ALL in powerflex RACE.
Diff bushing powerflex Race
I install solidmount subframe mount from turnermotosport.

If you have a XI you absolutly need to swap a LSD it's day and night. The car is more funny to drive and it change completly the handling of the car.

I'm waiting for may to test it on a race track but on the street i see the difference and the car is unbelivable. DAY AND Night upgrade!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 08:48 AM   #5
lhuynh336
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistajay View Post
I have some information for you guys,

This winter i do massive upgrade on my rear end of my car.

I intall :

H&R Sway bar
LSD Mfactory,
M3 control Arm
All other bushing ALL in powerflex RACE.
Diff bushing powerflex Race
I install solidmount subframe mount from turnermotosport.

If you have a XI you absolutly need to swap a LSD it's day and night. The car is more funny to drive and it change completly the handling of the car.

I'm waiting for may to test it on a race track but on the street i see the difference and the car is unbelivable. DAY AND Night upgrade!

Will any lsd fit?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #6
Mistajay
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

A lot of LSD fit...

Google it!
Appreciate 0