E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Boost Gauge questions...

06-07-2008, 03:07 AM   #1
jeho
ig: jeffersonho
Finland
Rep
Drives: E90M3.E36M3

Boost Gauge questions...

1. I tapped the boost gauge wire to 1 of the diverter valve wires, will that be sufficient or I MUST tap it to the wire BEFORE the "Y" connector that splits to the 2 diverter valves...

I drove around checked the boost gauge, it shows around -21 vacuum
and when I floor it harder it goes up to ~8psi...

2. I have a Defi boost gauge with control unit so it records my PEAK BOOST...
The thing is, I tapped the 12v ignition with the 12v continuous into a 12v ignition wire that is used by the cigarette lighter,
so my gauge ONLY comes on when my car is started (ignition on)...

The problem is, when I shut off my car, the control unit loses all power (since i didnt tap 12v continuous to a 12v continuous) so my PEAK boost recorded resets back to 0....
I tapped it to 12v ignition because I dont want the gauge to turn on when im just listening to music in the car...

Does anyone know if that does any harm to my Defi Control unit since its like Power on / Power off everytime...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers, duh

My gauge isnt being "harmed" when listening to the radio when the cars not on. Dont fret, its fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jho86 View Post
1. I tapped the boost gauge wire to 1 of the diverter valve wires, will that be sufficient or I MUST tap it to the wire BEFORE the "Y" connector that splits to the 2 diverter valves
Good question. Should be OK. I replaced the factory "T" with a "+" and it worked great.

Quote:
I drove around checked the boost gauge, it shows around -21 vacuum and when I floor it harder it goes up to ~8psi...
Assuming you're stock, that's correct.

Quote:
2. I have a Defi boost gauge with control unit so it records my PEAK BOOST...The thing is, I tapped the 12v ignition with the 12v continuous into a 12v ignition wire that is used by the cigarette lighter,
so my gauge ONLY comes on when my car is started (ignition on)...The problem is, when I shut off my car, the control unit loses all power (since i didnt tap 12v continuous to a 12v continuous) so my PEAK boost recorded resets back to 0....I tapped it to 12v ignition because I dont want the gauge to turn on when im just listening to music in the car...Does anyone know if that does any harm to my Defi Control unit since its like Power on / Power off everytime...
I have the same gauge. Not sure why you didn't just tap a 12v constant and 12v ignition from the fuse panel. I simple check with a multimeter shows a number of both types of power at the fuse panel. In any case, like M3to335 said, you're not going to hurt anything. You've also probably lost your boost warning setting (if you're using that feature).
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
jeho
ig: jeffersonho
Finland
Rep
Drives: E90M3.E36M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned335i View Post
You've also probably lost your boost warning setting (if you're using that feature).
Yup but atm im stock so i wouldnt really worry..
Im getting stg2 Dinan, so i think the defi stock boost warning at 15psi is a good warning..agree?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
Robertbog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Yup but atm im stock so i wouldnt really worry..
Im getting stg2 Dinan, so i think the defi stock boost warning at 15psi is a good warning..agree?
Thats where mine is set. I wouldnt put it right on one of the dv hoses but thats just me.

As far as power, arent there some constants in the fuse box?
Appreciate 0