BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-25-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Vented Seat Concerns

Last Thursday, Mar 22, I placed order for new M40i w/ Vented Seat option. After reading threads extensively, I have several concerns.

Can anyone (preferably a number of you) with M40i's confirm the following?

With "Vented Seat" option:
  • Seats are harder, less comfortable.

• Seats do not allow same head adjustments of non-vented seats. (I don't see button on side in some pics)

• Seats lose some bolster adjustment. (I am pretty sure this one is true)

I live in MN and love the idea of vented seats.. but if these things are all true, then I hope I have time to cancel the option.

Big thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 12:52 AM   #2
papajohn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
Last Thursday, Mar 22, I placed order for new M40i w/ Vented Seat option. After reading threads extensively, I have several concerns.

Can anyone (preferably a number of you) with M40i's confirm the following?

With "Vented Seat" option:

[*]Seats are harder, less comfortable.
CONFIRMED. I was given a loaner X3 with the standard seats so I got to compare side by side (after I purchased unfortunately) and it's noticeablly less comfortable with vented. Not only are the side bolsters minimal with vented, the overall cushionyness is less.

Quote:
[*]Seats do not allow same head adjustments of non-vented seats. (I don't see button on side in some pics)
I don't think this is true. I can adjust headrest height and adjust it front to back.

Quote:
[*]Seats lose some bolster adjustment. (I am pretty sure this one is true)
I don't believe this is true. Neither seat option has automatic bolster adjustment I don't believe. Which is strange because the X4's do. Someone without vented seats should chime in to confirm this one.

Quote:
I live in MN and love the idea of vented seats.. but if these things are all true, then I hope I have time to cancel the option.

Big thanks
Cancel it! I live in Texas and the vented seats seemed like a big deal. I regret it now based on the comfort. May be singing a different tune this summer when it's 100+ F.
Appreciate 1
sinbad4782.50
      03-26-2018, 04:19 AM   #3
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30d M Sport

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Re Bolster adjustment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajohn View Post
I don't believe this is true. Neither seat option has automatic bolster adjustment I don't believe. Which is strange because the X4's do. Someone without vented seats should chime in to confirm this one.
Ventilated seats do not have bolster adjustment (manual or electric) but the Sports seats do *IF* you have the right options, the Comfort pack, in Australia at least. That's the big thing for many as the ventilated seats are reportedly fairly flat and you feel like sliding off when cornering.

Bottom line: adjustable bolsters possible on normal sport seats, not possible on ventilated.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 05:50 AM   #4
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Last Thursday, Mar 22, I placed order for new M40i w/ Vented Seat option. After reading threads extensively, I have several concerns. Can anyone (preferably a number of you) with M40i's confirm the following? With "Vented Seat" option:
  • Seats are harder, less comfortable.
  • Seats do not allow same head adjustments of non-vented seats. (I don't see button on side in some pics)
  • Seats lose some bolster adjustment. (I am pretty sure this one is true)

I live in MN and love the idea of vented seats.. but if these things are all true, then I hope I have time to cancel the option. Big thanks
Personal choice, sinbad4 - we really like our ventilated seats (much better for our needs than the MSport seats we have in our 2015 LCI X3 35i), and we'll be ordering the same for our next X3 M40i this Summer. The ability for us to finally have a dry backside, regardless of high ambient Heat Indices, far outweighs any padding or bolstering differences, at least for us.

Seats have full headrest adjustment capability - see attached photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
sinbad4782.50
ando2002.00
      03-26-2018, 06:52 AM   #5
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Thx for info, @papajohn, @natd, @[Max Well], I'm trying to cancel.

Appreciate the photos of head rest.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 09:12 PM   #6
J-sun
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

So for those that have tried the ventilated seats and feel they are less comfortable than the non-ventilated, is it the padding/cushioning or the bolstering that you dislike?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 09:29 PM   #7
tenman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

My mom has the vented seats in her x3. Pretty comfortable to me (I'm 6'), the seats are still soft and nice to sit in. The only thing is that bolsters are not as narrow as sport seats.
Appreciate 2
sinbad4782.50
Max Well4737.50
      03-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #8
BobBass
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 30i Phytonic Blue LOADED

I was totally freaked on this question. I've never had ventilated seats before and wanted to get them so much that I went with a second choice in color. And, I was concerned with seat comfort, too.

Suffice it to say that these seats are just fine. We haven't taken any really long trips in them, but we like them. I can't compare them to the non-vented seats because it's been too long since I sat in them.
Appreciate 2
sinbad4782.50
Max Well4737.50
      03-27-2018, 12:00 AM   #9
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I ended up cutting vented seats, rear seat heater, and rear shades (I rarely have more than 1 passenger). Used the money for Adaptive-M suspension instead, thanks to a few threads here.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #10
J-sun
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenman View Post
My mom has the vented seats in her x3. Pretty comfortable to me (I'm 6'), the seats are still soft and nice to sit in. The only thing is that bolsters are not as narrow as sport seats.
I'm mostly concerned about reduced padding (if any). I wish the bolstering was the same as the non-vented, but most of my driving experience will be unaffected by the reduced bolstering. I'm more concerned with a cool, cushy backside.

Can anyone comment specifically on the level of cushioning between the two?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #11
todd hollander
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30i

we sat in both and we really liked the vented seats, ordered them.........
Appreciate 1
Max Well4737.50
      03-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #12
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

Didn’t notice a difference on both my drives with and without the ventilated. I wanted ventilated.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 03:15 PM   #13
tenman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-sun View Post
I'm mostly concerned about reduced padding (if any). I wish the bolstering was the same as the non-vented, but most of my driving experience will be unaffected by the reduced bolstering. I'm more concerned with a cool, cushy backside.

Can anyone comment specifically on the level of cushioning between the two?
The backside has plenty of cushion. I think even more than non-vented. Go to your local dealership and try it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #14
J-sun
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The backside has plenty of cushion. I think even more than non-vented. Go to your local dealership and try it out.
No ventilated to try on the dealer's lot. CA says that both adjustable side bolsters and lumbar support are eliminated with the ventilated seats. I thought only the adjustable side bolsters were eliminated.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 06:02 PM   #15
dean285
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30i

Quote:
Quote:
No ventilated to try on the dealer's lot. CA says that both adjustable side bolsters and lumbar support are eliminated with the ventilated seats. I thought only the adjustable side bolsters were eliminated.
I've got ventilated seats and they have electrically adjustable lumbar support
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #16
cvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: New BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean285 View Post
I've got ventilated seats and they have electrically adjustable lumbar support
I think the side bolsters are missing with ventilated seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 08:33 PM   #17
Slartibartfast
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster

Our dealer had nothing but ventilated seats for a while. I am not small, but I found the bolstering on the seat bottom to be limited and pretty wide. Probably fine if one were on the larger side, but I found I was siding about. The non-vented sport seats are not nearly as much of a narrow hug as in ht '06 M roadster, but much more comfortable and stable than the vented model. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 07:34 AM   #18
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

adding to my previous post. I DO agree with others that it is not as tight a "hug" due to the lack of adjustable side bolsters in the ventilated seats. if you tend to take very spirited drives often, your vehicle in sport mode will have you moving side to side within your seat more than with the adjustable bolstering...

I'm a pretty tame driver 90% of the time, but the other 10% I do notice there is noticeably less support for tight cornering...

hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #19
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I was leaning to the ventilated seats, but on seeing them on an early production model I asked my CA about the bolsters. That and the availability of the individual leather in saddle brown were major influences.

Generally BMW strikes a good balance - better than say Alfa Romeo. My E92 M3 was good (obviously not at its tightest position). The X3 seat is a bit wider and the bolsters do not stick out as much. The latter may help to preserve the leather.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 11:43 PM   #20
comora99
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
So for those that have tried the ventilated seats and feel they are less comfortable than the non-ventilated, is it the padding/cushioning or the bolstering that you dislike?
Both... seats were too hard and lack of bolstering leaves you sliding in your seat when going around on/off ramps
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #21
edcrane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, X3 M40i

I didn't find the ventilated seats super uncomfortable myself, though I only spent 15-20 minutes or so over two test drives sitting in them. The side bolster situation was a problem for me, though, as we have a lot of 270 degree on ramps in my parts. Even when you're not driving spiritedly, you can find yourself sliding around in the ventilated seats when those types of on ramps are a routine part of driving.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2018, 01:52 PM   #22
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Bolstering Schmolstering, this this is an SUV, seat bolsters are sufficient with either seat imo. If you are driving the thing on the road to where you notice the seat bolstering not being sufficient, then you are too large for the seat, or you are demolishing the speed limits by a substantial amount. I have the ventilated seats, I went back and forth deciding weather or not if I should be remorseful. After driving around fast turns the bolstering is good enough for me. The seat area is too narrow and that applies to both seats.
Appreciate 0