THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Technic PnP vs Bimmercode

03-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Technic PnP vs Bimmercode

Been trying to piece this together from all the posts I have read but I still don't understand. To remove the ASD fake exhaust audio, are the options Technic PnP harness, unplugging the center speaker OR just using Bimmercode or do you need to combine strategies?

What are the pros and cons of each method? If it matters, picking up my car in a month and its a 2018 M240i.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #2
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
Been trying to piece this together from all the posts I have read but I still don't understand. To remove the ASD fake exhaust audio, are the options Technic PnP harness, unplugging the center speaker OR just using Bimmercode or do you need to combine strategies?

What are the pros and cons of each method? If it matters, picking up my car in a month and its a 2018 M240i.

Thanks
From what I understand, merely coding it out does not entirely eliminate the faint static noise it causes. The Technic PnP harness is supposed to eliminate it entirely. I would say that from a technical perspective the harness is really good as your ASD ECU remains completely untouched (dealer can still do i-level updates, no coding is required after update) and you eliminate the static sound from the ASD.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post

Thanks
Unplugging the center speaker won't do it.
PnP will eliminate it.
I understand that you can either code it out or code a different sound, but coding it out won't completely work with some model years as their is still a input to the speaker and a "hiss."
I used the PnP option and very happy.

Last edited by ChrisFulton; 03-26-2018 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
ctemkin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

When I got my 2018 240i, probably one of the earliest shipped, the ASD was on and I got rid of it through coding with a Bimmercode. I did not hear any hiss after the coding.

More recently, because of a recall relating to the display, my car had to be reprogrammed at the dealer. This of course wiped out the coding I had done. When I got to disabling ASD, I found out that the module had changed and that the default option now appears to be that ASD is off. I have not heard it; that is, no difference in sound between comfort and sport modes.

So your new BMW may not have ASD in the first place.

While you would not need Bimmercode to get rid of ASD, there are probably a bunch of other items you would like to code. I know that I was happy to get the side view mirrors to retract when I lock the car, to get rid of the legal disclaimer, to adjust the volume of the sound system when it starts, etc.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2018, 04:27 AM   #5
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

V interested in this topic. I have a week 51 2017 build M240i convertible. I haven't worked out yet whether ASD is functioning in my car. Is the easiest way to tell to pull the relevant fuse and compare ? Or should switching between comfort and sport drive modes make it obvious ? At all revs and loads ?

If it is functioning, I think I would rather use a bypass harness rather than code it out. The initial cost is high, especially in the UK, but no need for recoding, no risk of HK sound still being polluted, can probably sell it on if no longer needed...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #6
Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue 2022 M240iXdrive

Eliminating ASD Sound

Unplugging the center speaker won't help. On some of the early models of the M235, Bimmercode apparently left a slight hiss. However, on later models such as my 2016 M235, it completely eliminated the fake sound with no hiss remaining. I have not used the harness, but understand that it also completely eliminates the fake engine sound. The plus with Bimmercode is that it is faster than the harness and can be reversed in a couple of minutes if you decide you want to go back to it, perhaps when you sell your car and the new owner likes the ASD.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 08:44 AM   #7
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
V interested in this topic. I have a week 51 2017 build M240i convertible. I haven't worked out yet whether ASD is functioning in my car. Is the easiest way to tell to pull the relevant fuse and compare ? Or should switching between comfort and sport drive modes make it obvious ? At all revs and loads ?

If it is functioning, I think I would rather use a bypass harness rather than code it out. The initial cost is high, especially in the UK, but no need for recoding, no risk of HK sound still being polluted, can probably sell it on if no longer needed...
I would say if you can't tell the difference when you put your car in sport from comfort then why bother spending money to eliminate it? I actually liked it when my car was stock...it gave it a throaty intake sound. Now that I have a downpipe and exhaust it kind of interferes with them and has a drone when at cruising speeds. BimmerCode is pretty cheap for the app and obd WiFi unit. then you can code all the the annoying things out of the car like double pull unlocking and ridiculously loud cold starts and add some cool options for like $50 from your phone. Just saying the cheapest option isn't a waste if it doesn't work out since it does have a lot of cool things you can code. It also saves your original coding so you can revert back to stock if needed. Just my 2cents.
Appreciate 0