BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #1
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

Smile Connected App 3D view updated

Previously I was unable to get the full 3D view remotely when I had auto-folding-mirrors-on-lockup engaged. The results would always show the front and rear camera views and the side cameras blanked out. Today I gave it a test while observing the vehicle and the mirrors briefly unfolded, took the shot, and refolded inward. My phone displayed the results about 20 seconds later!
      03-29-2018, 09:41 PM   #2
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

I still can't get any function this feature to work. shows the show room in germany or something...

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 10:50 PM   #3
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar View Post
I still can't get any function this feature to work. shows the show room in germany or something...
After the sale I tried to set up the app myself and found that my Connect account had not been established yet. The dealer is suppose to do it but if you have your VIN just call the BMW toll free assist number and they can help you get established so you can log in.

Last edited by Keweenawbee; 03-30-2018 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 12:24 AM   #4
hok020
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

My dealer told me that I need parking assistent plus to see your car remote....
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 08:50 AM   #5
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenawbee View Post
After the sale I tried to set up the app myself and found that my Connect account had not been established yet. The dealer is suppose to do it but if you have your VIN just call the BMW toll free assist number and they can help you get established so you can log in.
I have connected app. works fine. but no feature of the 3D portion will work. it won't show anything. just that picture I posted. looks like a showroom?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 08:50 AM   #6
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hok020 View Post
My dealer told me that I need parking assistent plus to see your car remote....
I have that package on this car. I don't believe that is the culprit...thanks though!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
Terry5
Registered Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

My remote 3D view does not work either. I have worked with the BMW Genius, gone to the dealer service, and worked with the dealer genius. No luck. However the latest genius says he will try to solve the problem. Service says it it not the car. Genius says it should be working. They believe it’s something to do with BMW connect.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 10:51 AM   #8
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

I am assuming, hopefully correctly, that folks having problems here know they have to have the exec package or have somehow ordered the 3D view ala carte? Also assuming their 3D view works manually from within the car? I know a lot of you M40i folks made some sacrifices for the big motor(and I still have internal strife not having the big motor).

I say that because it has always worked for me, except when my wife is out driving it between destinations. I wish it had a refresh button on the locate function though.
      03-30-2018, 11:12 AM   #9
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am assuming, hopefully correctly, that folks having problems here know they have to have the exec package or have somehow ordered the 3D view ala carte? Also assuming their 3D view works manually from within the car? I know a lot of you M40i folks made some sacrifices for the big motor(and I still have internal strife not having the big motor).

I say that because it has always worked for me, except when my wife is out driving it between destinations. I wish it had a refresh button on the locate function though.
I'll call again and ask. not going to be home for a few days though...not even sure it would work 3 levels under our condo. only when we are out and about.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 11:14 AM   #10
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Previously I was unable to get the full 3D view remotely when I had auto-folding-mirrors-on-lockup engaged. The results would always show the front and rear camera views and the side cameras blanked out. Today I gave it a test while observing the vehicle and the mirrors briefly unfolded, took the shot, and refolded inward. My phone displayed the results about 20 seconds later!
Are you sure it wasn't the other way around? It is when you manually fold in your mirrors does it not work, but it works if you have auto fold engaged. Or was there a problem specific to you car?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #11
vjs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30, 2015 Macan S

To utilize the 3D connected app you first have to have an I Tunes account. Your I Tunes account info/number is entered on the form.

It is a pretty cool feature. Others find it especially interesting.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 01:17 PM   #12
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjs View Post
To utilize the 3D connected app you first have to have an I Tunes account. Your I Tunes account info/number is entered on the form.

It doesn't work with Android!?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #13
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:

iTunes? It has nothing to do with that.

Works fine for me. I have Parking Assistant Plus option.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 02:25 PM   #14
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:

That's not at all true. It works fine on my iOS and Android phones (carry two for work).

App has always worked with 3D view for me. Had the car since December and have the mirrors fold in upon lock.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 02:52 PM   #15
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:

Looks like BMW Welt in Munich.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 03:23 PM   #16
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
Quote:

Looks like BMW Welt in Munich.
Mine showed the same until I took the first photo under my Connected account.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 03:30 PM   #17
GGEVOX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i, F36 440xi

I can also say it has been working fine for me about 2 months. I have the mirrors set to fold on lock and they will unfold take picture then fold back in. It seems there is a decent delay. It has problems sometimes in areas that have terrible service. As does my ATT iphone X. I am located in Wisconsin.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 03:45 PM   #18
vjs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
iTunes? It has nothing to do with that.

Works fine for me. I have Parking Assistant Plus option.

If you read the bmw site for this option it specifies an I Tune account and password is needed.

I have the Executive Pkg. My genius verified this procedure but maybe there was another way you accessed it.

For those that are having problems using this, try the I Tunes method.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 08:13 PM   #19
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
Are you sure it wasn't the other way around? It is when you manually fold in your mirrors does it not work, but it works if you have auto fold engaged. Or was there a problem specific to you car?
Maybe that was the case. All I really know is a couple months back I was getting blank side views when the mirrors were folded, and I doubt that my wife was manually folding in the mirrors.

That is petty cool to watch those mirrors unfold briefly to take the shot.
      03-30-2018, 10:02 PM   #20
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:

No.

Quote:
If you read the bmw site for this option it specifies an I Tune account and password is needed.

I have the Executive Pkg. My genius verified this procedure but maybe there was another way you accessed it.

For those that are having problems using this, try the I Tunes method.
No.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 11:01 PM   #21
vjs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
No.

No.
I feel confident in what the BMW genius researched and what appears on their site ( unless, that is, you are employed as a BMW genius advisor)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 11:08 PM   #22
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe that was the case. All I really know is a couple months back I was getting blank side views when the mirrors were folded, and I doubt that my wife was manually folding in the mirrors.

That is petty cool to watch those mirrors unfold briefly to take the shot.
Right? I remember when I was trying to figure out why it wasn't working - I did the same thing: I waited to see it fold out and back in. I thought it was pretty cool, too.

But back when I got my car in late Nov., I had the same issue as you - for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why the side views were blank. (They actually aren't blank - if you go to your Gallery details, you can actually see the side photos that were taken, and how off skew they are so the 3D render didn't bother to attach them) Then someone on this forum (sor) suggested that maybe it's because I folded in manually. It turned out to be the answer. Even if you have auto folding on.. if you manually fold them before locking your car, you are actually disengaging the auto fold and the car is now incapable of folding the mirrors out by it self. So now, I never manually fold them before locking.

Of course BMW doesn't tell you this. You have to figure it out on your own!
Appreciate 1