F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Need Tuning Advice
proTUNING Freaks

03-30-2018, 06:45 AM   #1
quick_335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Need Tuning Advice

Hey all,

I have been searching around the forum and doing a ton of research on modifications for my 2012 335i sport RWD 6 speed sedan.

The car has 115,000 km so pretty average, I started with the basic OFHG, belt and tensions, and new plugs (was still on original plugs from PO and they looked great.

Now I am looking to modify the car, aiming for 350whp and the occasions circuit track day, can is only driven on weekends.

If I really like the car I can see myself going with a stage 2 Pure turbo upgrade, but nothing further then that.

Basically looking for recommendations on tuning software, (BM3, MHD, or COBB)

And what brand parts for FMIC, DP, CP. I love the pricing on the VRSF parts but don't want to rush into these purchases, would rather pay a bit more for quality.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 07:13 AM   #2
CTDrifter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i

Any stage 2 tune (JB4, MHD, BM3) with downpipe will get you 350whp easy. Don't get too wrapped up in downpipe design, it's a 14" long pipe... VRSF is tried and true, I run their down and charge pipe at 24psi without issue.
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2018, 11:18 AM   #3
quick_335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

What about quality of VRSF FMIC?

Also what would my best bet be BM3, MHD or COBB?

I was surprised to hear some parts supplier recommending me to go with JB4, from what I have researched that is an older tuning style piggy back, not sure why he would suggest that route. any other advice would be appreciated from people that have done these mods. I want to do it right the first time!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 03:32 PM   #4
TMac335i
335i F30
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick_335i View Post
What about quality of VRSF FMIC?

Also what would my best bet be BM3, MHD or COBB?

I was surprised to hear some parts supplier recommending me to go with JB4, from what I have researched that is an older tuning style piggy back, not sure why he would suggest that route. any other advice would be appreciated from people that have done these mods. I want to do it right the first time!
I have an Active Autowerek FMIC and love it However I know a few guys that run the VRSF one with no issues and they all like it .

I also had the JB4 and liked it a lot. Cool app and I love how you have all the gauges and stats. However I just got the AA ECU tune (stage 2) and I am completely blown away. I definitely like it better than the JB4. Especially for the way I use it.great power and crazy top-end pull. Very cool blurb feature as well that I can control from my dynamic driving button ( comfort/sport/sport +).
Active Autowerke Flash Tune, FMIC, Exhaust | BMS Intake | VRSF DP | VRSF CP
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 07:02 PM   #5
matty088
Major
Rep

Seen a very nice dyno out of the bm3 camp

I went with bm3 Bc those guys are devoted to Bmw and are on the cutting edge. They are always developing new stuff. I know winners when I see them.
Appreciate 1
ronanz1819.50
      03-31-2018, 09:50 PM   #6
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Xdrive Coupe

I have a 2014 435i xDrive FBO
ER Charge pipe
ER Intercooler
CTS Turbo intake
Fabspeed high flow cat
Active Autowerke axle back
MHD Stage 2+ flash 93 oct

I have never had any problems or CEL with any of these mods, and I also passed state emissions testing. I went with MHD beta because it was the only available flash option at the time. BM3 was bench unlock only and active Autowerke was not out with their flash yet. Not to mention the price point. I paid $250 for the license. $99 for all stg1, 2, 2+, E20 map packs and $99 for the logging capabilities. That's $450 all in! The power is unreal as is the delivery. Smooth throughout the entire range. They also include a burble option, cold start delete, top speed limit delete. Also MHD has great customer support with direct contact through WhatsApp group chat. My 0-60 is sub 4 sec.
honestly I would definitely recommend any flash option versus piggyback. I'll post some times for my car as well.
Attached Images

04-01-2018, 11:21 AM   #7
quick_335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for all the advice!!!

Just ordered the VRSF race FMIC, CP and carless DP. went with the BM3 seems to be a very popular choice. this should keep me happy for a little until I upgrade the turbo.

Ill be doing the install myself and will post my opinion on the parts/install to help anyone else looking for a similar setup!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
quick_335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba77W View Post
ER Charge pipe
ER Intercooler
CTS Turbo intake
Fabspeed high flow cat

I have never had any problems or CEL with any of these mods, and I also passed state emissions testing. I went with MHD beta because it was the only available flash option at the time. BM3 was bench unlock only and active Autowerke was not out with their flash yet. Not to mention the price point. I paid $250 for the license. $99 for all stg1, 2, 2+, E20 map packs and $99 for the logging capabilities. That's $450 all in! The power is unreal as is the delivery. Smooth throughout the entire range. They also include a burble option, cold start delete, top speed limit delete. Also MHD has great customer support with direct contact through WhatsApp group chat. My 0-60 is sub 4 sec.
honestly I would definitely recommend any flash option versus piggyback. I'll post some times for my car as well.
That is FAST!!! I will be happy with anything close to those times. Is you car DSG or MT?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #9
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Xdrive Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
ER Charge pipe
ER Intercooler
CTS Turbo intake
Fabspeed high flow cat

That is FAST!!! I will be happy with anything close to those times. Is you car DSG or MT?
8 speed auto ZF, and the xDrive helps a lot.
      04-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #10
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice!!!

Just ordered the VRSF race FMIC, CP and carless DP. went with the BM3 seems to be a very popular choice. this should keep me happy for a little until I upgrade the turbo.

Ill be doing the install myself and will post my opinion on the parts/install to help anyone else looking for a similar setup!
You'll be happy, especially if you have good quality 93 oct. in your area. I just went with essentially your same setup and it's a HUGE improvement over stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #11
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ER Charge pipe
ER Intercooler
CTS Turbo intake
Fabspeed high flow cat

8 speed auto ZF, and the xDrive helps a lot.
I gotta get me a dragy, maybe for this summer. I have similar mods but don't think I'll come close to touching 4 sec cause I'm on a 6-speed. Honestly I'd be stoked if I could hit sub 4.5 seconds
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 07:01 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

If you are looking to do this upgrade in stages, get the Active Autowerke flash tune.
It ends up being the cheaper option in the long run since the maps are free.
You can start with stage 1 map and upgrade every time you add a mod

If you are looking to do a custom tune, BM3 would be your best option

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Mike.2044.00
      04-03-2018, 08:26 PM   #13
matty088
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
If you are looking to do this upgrade in stages, get the Active Autowerke flash tune.
It ends up being the cheaper option in the long run since the maps are free.
You can start with stage 1 map and upgrade every time you add a mod

If you are looking to do a custom tune, BM3 would be your best option
Bm3 has same now. One fee = all maps available
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 10:24 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
Bm3 has same now. One fee = all maps available
From PTF website
One OTS map/tune included with the purchase

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 10:51 PM   #15
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
From PTF website
One OTS map/tune included with the purchase
This has changed...they will now be including ALL OTS Maps with License Purchase

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 10:58 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
This has changed...they will now be including ALL OTS Maps with License Purchase

And thats why competition is always good

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 11:25 PM   #17
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
And thats why competition is always good

Agreed....but, being one of the early F series "Flash" guinea pigs, PTF and their bm3 platform is the best I've ever seen. They really have no competitors.

Who else brings sooo many tuners to one echo system for the end user to choose from? From FREE OTS Maps to picking a Tuner for a custom one off...it's really apples and oranges.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 11:31 PM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Agreed....but, being one of the early F series "Flash" guinea pigs, PTF and their bm3 platform is the best I've ever seen. They really have no competitors.

Who else brings sooo many tuners to one echo system for the end user to choose from? From FREE OTS Maps to picking a Tuner for a custom one off...it's really apples and oranges.

Im glad you like PTF, they are a really good company.

That being said i respectfully disagree with you, there are a lot of competitors
who offer quality products.

Im not going to derail this thread and turn it into a tuner war LOL so i will leave it at that

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #19
quick_335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I am gearing up for the install, will post some photos.

Back to tuning, I am in Toronto canada filling with Petro 94.

Am I good to run the stage 2 93 tune? I read on a few Subaru forums issues with tunes coming from Cobb and Canadian grade fuel.

I want to make sure my cars running safe, I guess I should data log a run right away and make sure everything's running fine.

I can't seem to find the BM3 stage tunes anywhere on the site, showing what mods are required and hp outputs.

Did see that recent 380whp FBO dyno, id be happy with 350whp!!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #20
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So I am gearing up for the install, will post some photos.

Back to tuning, I am in Toronto canada filling with Petro 94.

Am I good to run the stage 2 93 tune? I read on a few Subaru forums issues with tunes coming from Cobb and Canadian grade fuel.

I want to make sure my cars running safe, I guess I should data log a run right away and make sure everything's running fine.

I can't seem to find the BM3 stage tunes anywhere on the site, showing what mods are required and hp outputs.

Did see that recent 380whp FBO dyno, id be happy with 350whp!!
I can help you out here on your question about the gas. I can't speak for Toronto but the Petro Ultra94 we get out west is not up to snuff according to the logging I have done on the stage 2 93 oct. tune. 4th and 5th gear especially gets consistent pulled timing. I asked PTF and Halim said that my logs look like I am running standard 91 oct. on the 93 tune, which is not a good idea long term.

The good thing is they have just recently tweaked my 93 map to request less boost, but they also recommended I try the 91 map and use ethanol free gas, or use the Petro94 for a little uptick in power.

Since you can purchase all maps for $50, I'd definitely try the 93 tune first, do a lot of logging in various WOT scenarios, and post the logs to the Facebook group for some guidance and familiarize yourself with what to look for.

You can also submit a tune support request and one of the tuners will get back to you in short order with a revised tune/comment on how it is running.

You won't regret going with BM3, trust me I was in your shoes about a month ago. And to answer your question with Stage 2 you need an intercooler, downpipe and charge pipe.
Appreciate 1