F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Diesel Exhaust Fluid Warning
Studio RSR

03-31-2018, 12:56 AM   #1
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Black 330i xDrive

Garage List
Hey guys,

I got a warning that my DEF active tank wasn't holding the right amount of pressure. I took it in to the dealership and they lifted it up and found out that the passive tank was smashed while hitting a pothole a couple months ago. Now two days ago my 1000 mile warning popped up and the dealership said my car will stop running afterwards.

Is there any way to code this via esys or ISTA without replacing the part right now? The procedure is relatively easy and I can do the repair myself, but in Michigan its not warm enough yet and I don't have a garage at all. I just need to get rid of the warnings and ignore the sensor until it gets warm enough to repair it. The dealership wants $450 in labor for a simple procedure.

Thanks!
Attached Images

04-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #2
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

I guess I'm a bit confused. Is the passive tank leaking and therefore empty? If that's the case, why didn't the 1000 mile warning pop up as soon as it was empty?

I also figured that the 1000 mile warning is dependent on how much DEF is in the tank, no? I.e. if the tank were empty it would be less than a 1000 mile warning.

I'd buy some DEF and throw it in there, the stuff is dirt cheap.
      04-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnecr View Post
I guess I'm a bit confused. Is the passive tank leaking and therefore empty? If that's the case, why didn't the 1000 mile warning pop up as soon as it was empty?

I also figured that the 1000 mile warning is dependent on how much DEF is in the tank, no? I.e. if the tank were empty it would be less than a 1000 mile warning.

I'd buy some DEF and throw it in there, the stuff is dirt cheap.
The OP started this thread here and in the Maintenance section - that's been where the replies have been posted.

The OP also states (please re-read) that the passive tank is "smashed", so of course it's leaking.

The warning is predicated only upon the active tank, which contains around 2.5 gallons, which will last like 8K-10K miles.

I suggest you go here and download/read the PDF's on the engine and SCR system (OP could do that, too!)
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=40
Appreciate 0