BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Does your G01 switch driver profiles correctly?

If you are making active use of driver profiles, can you share your experience about how your X3 switches between two profiles assigned to two remotes?

I'm having an inconsistent experience with the feature and want to make sure I have it right. The OM says a profile is assigned to the active remote. I carefully assigned the desired profile to one remote, locked the car and removed that remote from near the car before repeating the process with a second remote and a different profile.

The doc also describes situations in which the car can't really tell which remote to obtain the profile from, such as when both remotes are nearby when the driver unlocks the car (in my case, with Comfort Access). I've tried to make sure I am not "confusing" the car by doing this.

Today, my other unlocked the car with her remote to find that it selected my profile. She was running errand and, oddly, after the second lock/unlock cycle the car selected the profile associate with her remote. I (and my remote) was about 10 miles away.

What I find puzzling is that if the wrong profile was associated with her remote, it shouldn't have switched profiles as she locked and unlocked the car during her multiple stop trip today.

I hope that makes sense and appreciate any input on how people are using drive profiles.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 02:39 AM   #2
jrbeire
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 330e XDrive G21

Haven't had that happen (yet). Car has to date selected correct profile - even with the two remotes beside each other. As I understand it, the selection criteria are: (i) remote used to unlock, (ii) then first remote through the driver's door (which I suspect means nearest remote to the steering column within a defined period of time post unlock)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #3
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
kind of the opposite of this, I don't have a 2nd driver in my life, can I assign both keys to the same profile?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
Zachp13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M

Garage List
21 X3M  [0.00]
I have 2015 X5 and 428 and we park in the garage and don’t lock the cars. The profile is mostly wrong when switching drivers. We use one of memory keys on the dash to switch profiles quickly.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

The (key) thing to remember is that the car saves the profile that was last active in the car when you lock it from the fob. If one of the profiles was active when getting out ot the car, even if it was not your profile, it will change that profile to the fob you used to lock up. Subsequently the next time that fob is sensed when opening the door the vehicle will assume that profile.

At least that is my observations and after some of the same confusion during early ownership it seems to have settled down.
      04-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenawbee View Post
The (key) thing to remember is that the car saves the profile that was last active in the car when you lock it from the fob. If one of the profiles was active when getting out ot the car, even if it was not your profile, it will change that profile to the fob you used to lock up. Subsequently the next time that fob is sensed when opening the door the vehicle will assume that profile.

At least that is my observations and after some of the same confusion during early ownership it seems to have settled down.
Thanks -- that's what I thought was happening.

Here's what I did. Activate the first profile, lock with the first remote. Remove that first remote from the vicinity. Unlock the car with the second remote; activate second profile; lock the car while the second profile is active.

Even after all that, when the first remote was used to unlock the car, the first profile was activated. But after a lock with that remote, a subsequent opening activated the second profile.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0