F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Completed my "Stage 1" upgrades! ***Updated 5-6-18***
Studio RSR

04-05-2018, 06:33 PM   #1
FenixMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Competition

Completed my "Stage 1" upgrades! ***Updated 5-6-18***

Figured it would be easier to start a new build thread than to keep posting in old ones... Should have dyno numbers and videos soon!

Car is a 2015 435i M sport and was bone stock a couple weeks ago when I bought it from BMW... but we couldn't leave it that way now, could we?

Thanks to Mike at Extreme Powerhouse, I bought some new goodies... last night in went the following:

Vargas Stage 1 turbo
Wagner Comp Intercooler
Wagner catless downpipe
VR Chargepipes
New factory BMW plugs
BMC Air filter

And to top it off, I I went with a BMS Intercooler tank and AEM Methanol kit, which I will toss on later, the BMS tanks were on backorder.

For appearance, I added a BMW OE Spoiler to the trunk lid and a set of Velgen VMB5 wheels in 20x10.5 / 20x9.5 in black with 285s and 245s for rubber. Those should be here tomorrow, and then I will take some good pictures!

Edit - 5/1/18 - Akrapovic exhaust is installed! Car is "finished" for now and ready to go to the dyno!

Dyno should be next week, just waiting for AJ at ESS Tuning to have time to stick it on the rollers and do a custom Stage II Flash for it. The car already feels much more consistent with the new parts, even on a stock flash, so I cant wait until it gets dialed in and the meth hooked up! More pictures and videos to follow!

Cold start with Wagner and stock exhaust

Last edited by FenixMike; 05-06-2018 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 3
      04-05-2018, 06:36 PM   #2
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Hell yeah! Very dope and tasteful. Should be a rocket
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 06:59 PM   #3
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Looks awesome!! Car should be a rocket..

Mike
Appreciate 1
FenixMike450.00
      04-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

more like stage 2+
      04-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #6
AlpineOnCoral
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6 SDrive35i

Very nice! Can't wait to see the dyno numbers!
*following*
      04-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #7
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Subbed for dyno numbers.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Wheels went on today!

Appreciate 2
badbread332.50
      04-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #9
HKD126
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, 2009 335xi

Why the Vargas stage one turbo? You already had the larger EWG turbo on the car. I’m interested in your choice.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4490.00
      04-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #10
SuperleggeraKOR
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive MPPSK

Looks great man
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 08:20 PM   #11
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Looks amazing!!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #12
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKD126 View Post
Why the Vargas stage one turbo? You already had the larger EWG turbo on the car. I’m interested in your choice.
Multiple reasons, but first and foremost, that is what was recommended to be by my tuner. Second, this is a daily driver and a "fun car", I dont want to have to rely on a secondary fuel system when the factory injectors run out of fuel. Once they are done, thats what I will tune it to power wise, methanol will just be for cooling in the summer. Lastly, I couldn't find any reason not to do it as the reviews are stellar, and even without the increased boost, the difference is noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 01:04 PM   #13
HKD126
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixMike View Post
Multiple reasons, but first and foremost, that is what was recommended to be by my tuner. Second, this is a daily driver and a "fun car", I dont want to have to rely on a secondary fuel system when the factory injectors run out of fuel. Once they are done, thats what I will tune it to power wise, methanol will just be for cooling in the summer. Lastly, I couldn't find any reason not to do it as the reviews are stellar, and even without the increased boost, the difference is noticeable.
No worries, I was just curious. I’ve been seeing dyno’s of BM3 cars where the stock EWG turbos are hitting 400-420whp on just 93 or E30. I just read that the VTT stage 1 turbo was rated for 425whp, so that’s why I asked. Not bashing your choice at all! You have a very solid build with some great parts that will make an awesome daily!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #14
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No worries, I was just curious. I’ve been seeing dyno’s of BM3 cars where the stock EWG turbos are hitting 400-420whp on just 93 or E30. I just read that the VTT stage 1 turbo was rated for 425whp, so that’s why I asked. Not bashing your choice at all! You have a very solid build with some great parts that will make an awesome daily!
Comparing dyno numbers is about the same as saying "My car feels faster than yours". Unless you have two cars on the exact dyno with the exact weather conditions on the exact day with the exact parameters such as heat soak, drive time, fuel etc, you wont ever have "comparable" numbers. Its honestly useless to use them as anything more than a tuning tool and comparing gains on your own vehicle, pending youre using the same dyno each time you do the mods. There will be "freak" cars in every category, however id bet money that any car that adds the Vargas or Pure stage 1 will pick up significant power over their factory turbo... I remember back when I had a Cobra, all the guys on stock blowers that were ported and modded swore doing an aftermarket twin screw blower was pointless, and they made more power on the stock blowers. Months later they finally got an aftermarket blower, then started the same "stock blowers suck" talk as the others who had already jumped ship.

It isnt scientifically possible that the stock turbo makes as much as the Stage 1 when both properly tuned and put to their max abilities, however that isnt to say there are some stock turbo vehicles making more power than others with aftermarket turbos, because not everyone has the goal of extracting every last horsepower out of their vehicle, or running at the ragged edge of its abilities. With inefficient boost, you have higher intake air temps, smaller power bands, and many other issues that a larger or more efficient turbo wont have, and typically even at the same "boost" level, the more efficient turbo will always make more power. Many also fail to understand, though, that "boost" is only a measure of restriction, so depending on the efficiency of your engine, exhaust etc, it isnt a factor that can be compared car to car, such as "car A makes XXX HP on 20 lbs, so car B should make the same".

Im not trying to come down hard on you for your statement, I just want you to understand while there will always be exceptions, more efficient and larger turbos will always make more power, given correct variables such as intake, exhaust, tune and fuel, that support the larger turbo. I can tell you that even without a tune, the Vargas Stage 1 made a significant difference, especially above 5,000 rpm.
Appreciate 1
ronanz1819.50
      04-07-2018, 02:24 PM   #15
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Comparing dyno numbers is about the same as saying "My car feels faster than yours". Unless you have two cars on the exact dyno with the exact weather conditions on the exact day with the exact parameters such as heat soak, drive time, fuel etc, you wont ever have "comparable" numbers. Its honestly useless to use them as anything more than a tuning tool and comparing gains on your own vehicle, pending youre using the same dyno each time you do the mods. There will be "freak" cars in every category, however id bet money that any car that adds the Vargas or Pure stage 1 will pick up significant power over their factory turbo... I remember back when I had a Cobra, all the guys on stock blowers that were ported and modded swore doing an aftermarket twin screw blower was pointless, and they made more power on the stock blowers. Months later they finally got an aftermarket blower, then started the same "stock blowers suck" talk as the others who had already jumped ship.

It isnt scientifically possible that the stock turbo makes as much as the Stage 1 when both properly tuned and put to their max abilities, however that isnt to say there are some stock turbo vehicles making more power than others with aftermarket turbos, because not everyone has the goal of extracting every last horsepower out of their vehicle, or running at the ragged edge of its abilities. With inefficient boost, you have higher intake air temps, smaller power bands, and many other issues that a larger or more efficient turbo wont have, and typically even at the same "boost" level, the more efficient turbo will always make more power. Many also fail to understand, though, that "boost" is only a measure of restriction, so depending on the efficiency of your engine, exhaust etc, it isnt a factor that can be compared car to car, such as "car A makes XXX HP on 20 lbs, so car B should make the same".

Im not trying to come down hard on you for your statement, I just want you to understand while there will always be exceptions, more efficient and larger turbos will always make more power, given correct variables such as intake, exhaust, tune and fuel, that support the larger turbo. I can tell you that even without a tune, the Vargas Stage 1 made a significant difference, especially above 5,000 rpm.

All of this ^^^

You want bragging rights? Get a Dragy and play the "leader board" or hit the track..

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 1
FenixMike450.00
      04-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #16
HKD126
Captain
Rep

Quote:

The reason I said that is the exact reasons you just described. It seems as though you will be running that turbo at its max efficiency as well... It was really just a question as to the “stage one” choice from the EWG turbo. Thanks for the lesson though.

Good luck on your build.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #17
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The reason I said that is the exact reasons you just described. It seems as though you will be running that turbo at its max efficiency as well... It was really just a question as to the “stage one” choice from the EWG turbo. Thanks for the lesson though.
Correct... it’s max efficiency, versus 125% over with the factory turbo. Over spinning the stock turbo to try and match an aftermarket is never a good idea, much like if I decided I wanted to try and make 500 horsepower to the wheels with this turbo instead of buying a stage 2, when mine is only rated to 425.
Appreciate 1
borboa13.50
      04-08-2018, 12:40 AM   #18
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Quote:
Quote:
What relation do you make between upgrading turbo and not needing secondary fuel system?

I'm curious because i'm running into this fueling issue and exactly like you don't want port injection /meth or something like that, and if an upgraded turbo is a solution then I'm interested, i just need to understand the rationale, technically?
      04-08-2018, 02:54 AM   #19
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
What relation do you make between upgrading turbo and not needing secondary fuel system?

I'm curious because i'm running into this fueling issue and exactly like you don't want port injection /meth or something like that, and if an upgraded turbo is a solution then I'm interested, i just need to understand the rationale, technically?
Wouldn’t that all depend on how much boost he wants to run?

18 psi would require fuel because of ncreased airflow of the upgraded turbo(bigger compressor wheel) while the airflow of the stock turbo at 18psi would not require fueling because of less airflow due to smaller compressor wheel and inlet.

At 16 psi upgraded turbo perhaps won’t have fueling issues while still making the same or more power than the stock turbo at 18psi without needing fuel . Efficiency!

That’s my take.
      04-08-2018, 03:22 AM   #20
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

I don’t know, i’d think a bigger turbo would allow to increase intake pressure even more, but that’s just increasing fueling requirements as well, not decreasing ? Unless i’m missing something ?

Anyway i’ll do some data logging and try to get more insight on what the weak link is
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 10:02 AM   #21
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Correct... it’s max efficiency, versus 125% over with the factory turbo. Over spinning the stock turbo to try and match an aftermarket is never a good idea, much like if I decided I wanted to try and make 500 horsepower to the wheels with this turbo instead of buying a stage 2, when mine is only rated to 425.
I'm supportive of you trying the VTT S1; in fact, I've been thinking about going that route myself to "hold me over" while I evaluate the new turbo offerings on the platform.

One note though, the key to power with the Stage 1 will be max efficiency; in other words, how easily it can breathe.

With that said, I'd highly recommend you find it in your budget to grab a Pure Hi-Flow inlet before you dyno.

Your numbers will suffer if you try to make that S1 breathe through a straw, while making the turbo work harder than it has to for the numbers you do get.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #22
HKD126
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Again, the reasons I ask, I have yet to see a compressor map for either the stock EWG turbo or any “stage one” upgrade. The dyno’s I’m referencing are the commonplace numbers for the BM3 v6 maps. I’ve talked with PTF and HCP and both have said that at the 15.5psi targets that they aren’t exactly maxed out, have a bit more left in them or are just blowing hot air yet.

I was never once attacking you or your build. I was merely interested by your turbo choice. Most every reputable tuner I’ve been in contact with about my own build has said skip the “stage one” turbo upgrade as the gains will be extremely minimal from the EWG turbo due to them being extremely similar in size and efficiency. Personally, I am not looking for massive numbers either for my DD. I’m looking at the SpeedTech kit with the 7064 turbo on just 93. I have yet to hear of anyone using the VTT stage one turbo, so you genuinely piqued my interest, not my interest to bash your choice.
Appreciate 0