THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum New tpms sensors

04-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #1
Acalamito321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i x drive black/red

New tpms sensors

Hello everybody I recent bought new wheels and had them installed with new tpms sensors at pepboys but they do not work and after bringing them to bmw they said 2 are low battery and the other 2 aren't reading, they quoted me 850$ to have new ones put on which is crazy. If I buy after market ones such as these is it just plug and play as in get them installed reset and go or is there more to it?

I have a 2015 xdrive model

https://www.autorimshop.com/bmw-m235...SABEgJFQ_D_BwE
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 10:26 PM   #2
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalamito321 View Post
Hello everybody I recent bought new wheels and had them installed with new tpms sensors at pepboys but they do not work and after bringing them to bmw they said 2 are low battery and the other 2 aren't reading, they quoted me 850$ to have new ones put on which is crazy. If I buy after market ones such as these is it just plug and play as in get them installed reset and go or is there more to it?

Are you still under warranty? I bought some used TPMS sensors for my summer wheels and I figure if one is bad, I'll get to replaced it under the factory warranty. Is there a reason they didn't cover it ?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 10:51 PM   #3
Acalamito321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_linus View Post
Quote:

Are you still under warranty? I bought some used TPMS sensors for my summer wheels and I figure if one is bad, I'll get to replaced it under the factory warranty. Is there a reason they didn't cover it ?
BMW doesent give you new ones for free my old ones are still in the old rims
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 01:56 AM   #4
Acalamito321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you put in some good sensors, you just have to re-initialized them in the iDrive menu. Or you could code out the bad sensors and you won't get an error messages anymore but it's risky; you won't be notified if one of the wheels hit some road hazard, like a pre-TPMS vehicle.
Yea I'm trying to ask if the sensors I linked will be plug and play where I can just reset and they work
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 02:01 AM   #5
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you put in some good sensors, you just have to re-initialized them in the iDrive menu. Or you could code out the bad sensors and you won't get an error messages anymore but it's risky; you won't be notified if one of the wheels hit some road hazard, like a pre-TPMS vehicle.
Yea I'm trying to ask if the sensors I linked will be plug and play where I can just reset and they work
Yes, it will. There is an RF reader by each wheel ready to adapt to each new sensor signal, so totally PnP.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 02:03 AM   #6
Acalamito321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, it will. There is an RF reader by each wheel ready to adapt to each new sensor signal, so totally PnP.
I got new wheels though they're r v710s, so your telling me if i buy these and they put them in all I gotta do is reset in the idrive menu and I'll be fine
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 02:25 AM   #7
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I got new wheels though they're r v710s, so your telling me if i buy these and they put them in all I gotta do is reset in the idrive menu and I'll be fine
Yes. As long as the car gets a reading from each sensor, it will not give an error message, regardless of which wheel you're using. I bought some sensors cheap online, like $120 for 4. Keep digging in on EBay or member classified, you might get lucky and get some barely used.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 07:12 AM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Isn't this the same Pep Boys who tore up your tire? I think it's time for you to just get as much of a refund as you can and GTFO. I bet if you took all the hours you've wasted on this, times your hourly wage at work, that even the $850 from the dealership would start to be a fair deal.

And FWIW, Tire rack has these too - probably not bargain basement, but they were about the same as what the local Autozone had listed (not that I'm going to Autozone for parts like this). I got these w/ my winter wheel set and they continue to be doing fine after 3 very harsh winters (accuracy matches my good pressure gauge, no error codes).
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #9
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I bought mine for my aftermarket wheels from ********* - make sure you check your production date when you look up the part number for the correct model of sensor.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 10:08 AM   #10
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
I ordered winter wheels and tires with TPS sensors from Tire Rack a few years ago when I purchased my car new. Swapping is easy. I just do a reset in iDrive every time I switch from summer to winter and winter to summer - easy peasy. BWM is great because they read and report all four wheels. Some manufacturers only report "low pressure" so you don't know if it's a lower pressure tire or a bad sensor or reader and which one(s), so you could have one or more low pressure tires or bad sensors or readers and then have to determine which one(s) need attention, which can be a pain. This happened to my daughter with her Hyundai. Tire pressure was okay so we know its a bad sensory(s) or reader(s) but we haven't been able to identify which one(s).
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #11
Acalamito321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Isn't this the same Pep Boys who tore up your tire? I think it's time for you to just get as much of a refund as you can and GTFO. I bet if you took all the hours you've wasted on this, times your hourly wage at work, that even the $850 from the dealership would start to be a fair deal.

And FWIW, Tire rack has these too - probably not bargain basement, but they were about the same as what the local Autozone had listed (not that I'm going to Autozone for parts like this). I got these w/ my winter wheel set and they continue to be doing fine after 3 very harsh winters (accuracy matches my good pressure gauge, no error codes).
Yea I'm going to pepboys today to ask for a refund
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 08:32 PM   #12
Lipper
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Hi Folks,

Can TPMS be retrofitted to an m235i?

Thanks - Ken
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 09:14 PM   #13
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
I ordered winter wheels and tires with TPS sensors from Tire Rack a few years ago when I purchased my car new. Swapping is easy. I just do a reset in iDrive every time I switch from summer to winter and winter to summer - easy peasy. BWM is great because they read and report all four wheels. Some manufacturers only report "low pressure" so you don't know if it's a lower pressure tire or a bad sensor or reader and which one(s), so you could have one or more low pressure tires or bad sensors or readers and then have to determine which one(s) need attention, which can be a pain. This happened to my daughter with her Hyundai. Tire pressure was okay so we know its a bad sensory(s) or reader(s) but we haven't been able to identify which one(s).
By law,they have to show which tire now. Don’t when that took effect. My 12 didn’t specify. My newer cars all tell what tire.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #14
john16443
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipper View Post
Hi Folks,

Can TPMS be retrofitted to an m235i?

Thanks - Ken
Not sure what you're asking Ken. Your M235i came with a TPMS and monitors in all 4 wheels, so no reason to retrofit.

If you put different wheels on with the correct sensor for your model year, then as already stated, reset your system in the iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 08:26 PM   #15
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by john16443 View Post
Not sure what you're asking Ken. Your M235i came with a TPMS and monitors in all 4 wheels, so no reason to retrofit.

If you put different wheels on with the correct sensor for your model year, then as already stated, reset your system in the iDrive.
Ken is in Australia, BMW doesn’t have the same car spec or options in all markets. Canada doesn’t have TPMS fitted to the 2-series, FTMS using the ABS sensors is used instead of the in-tyre sensors, Australia may be the same.

The US spec vehicles are typically the most mis-aligned with what is available in other markets, which generally have less standard options and a lot more flexibility in what can be added.
Appreciate 0