BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-11-2018, 08:52 PM   #1
mvribeiro
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6M

Screen Mirroring?

Don't find this option on my m40i.
Any one confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 04:03 AM   #2
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
surely it exists, saw it on a test drive. not a standard though.
      04-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

it's in my 40i. I haven't tried it though. here's a short video for you. don't believe it works with iphone. android only.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
mvribeiro
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6M

Don't find in the menu option on mine with GPS pro and touch-screen option.
Any one already verify the screen mirror on X3 M40i?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvribeiro View Post
Don't find in the menu option on mine with GPS pro and touch-screen option.
Any one already verify the screen mirror on X3 M40i?
Yes there is screen mirroring in the M40i. It works very well. We use two S8+ and the iDrive system does an excellent job of knowing who the is driver etc. Click on SmartView and the M40i screen pops right up and connects to the vehicle speakers for sound. Only drawback is that you need to use your phone to control most content. Wished the infotainment touch screen took control so I can just place my phone on the charging dock. Don't know about iPhone but the days of plugging your phone in via USB are dead with Android.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
That's why it's called screen MIRRORING, not remote phone control . I agree, it would be nice, but I don't see it happen due to technical (coding) complexity.

AFAIK this option is there only when you have enhanced bluetooth/telephony, or maybe wireless charging pack. Don't know, in what package those are in US. It's not mention in any BMW information source I came across.
      04-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #7
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
Yes there is screen mirroring in the M40i. It works very well. We use two S8+ and the iDrive system does an excellent job of knowing who the is driver etc. Click on SmartView and the M40i screen pops right up and connects to the vehicle speakers for sound. Only drawback is that you need to use your phone to control most content. Wished the infotainment touch screen took control so I can just place my phone on the charging dock. Don't know about iPhone but the days of plugging your phone in via USB are dead with Android.
So you can use google maps by mirroring onto the screen?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 11:55 AM   #8
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
So you can use google maps by mirroring onto the screen?
You could if you code your infotainment screen to not "shut off" playback when you start driving...like watching YouTube or playing a movie. Sound will stay connected via default so you could hear what your phone is playing.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #9
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
so what you're saying is that screen mirroring is working only when the vehicle is not moving?
      04-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #10
MostlyHarmless
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
I have not tried to set it up yet, but Screen Mirroring is definitely there. It's in the Media menu and it's another selection like Satellite, FM, AM, etc.
2002 E46 330i in OB
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #11
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
so what you're saying is that screen mirroring is working only when the vehicle is not moving?
Yes but it could be coded to work while you are moving. Imagine Waze or other apps available on the infotainment screen while you drive. Remote phone control please! It will become a reality sooner than we think

2021 BMW X3MC
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #12
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
so without coding it's useless for me. doesn't make sense, that it shuts down when moving. just like the disability to control it from the infotainment screen. Yes, Waze was on my mind too.
      04-12-2018, 05:51 PM   #13
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
so without coding it's useless for me. doesn't make sense, that it shuts down when moving. just like the disability to control it from the infotainment screen. Yes, Waze was on my mind too.
Useless for me as well. I'm not sure how it is coded in Europe but here in the US, the infotainment screen by default coding will not allow you to play exterior video sources while driving. I am guessing it is deemed a "distraction" to watch a movie, YouTube etc. while you drive. Coding would be the only option here if folks want to enable this feature. Having full access to our smartphones via the infotainment screen would be simply awesome. Too bad car manufacturers would never allow it direct from the factory with such an option enabled. IMO, it is better to enable this feature then to glue your phone to the dash like most people without screens in their vehicles do.

2021 BMW X3MC
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #14
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

My Samsung Note 5 looks like it only offers Samsung Mirrorlink, which doesn't seem to work. Am I missing a setting somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #15
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
My Samsung Note 5 looks like it only offers Samsung Mirrorlink, which doesn't seem to work. Am I missing a setting somewhere?
I think that screen mirroring is only available with option 6NW Wireless Charging which has option ZEB.

6NW Wireless Charging
6NW will add 6WD and ZEB to the order
6NW requires ordering ZPP
6NW will delete STD or 100% equipment 6NH
Note: 6WD - WiFi Hotspot
Note: ZEB - Enhanced USB & Bluetooth

Maybe someone who doesn't have option 6NW can chime in and see if screen mirroring is available or if it can be enabled via coding.

With your Note 5, I would try via the iDrive. Watch the video posted above by Casotakar. Communications>Manage Devices>Connect Device>Screen Mirroring. I will check tomorrow and report back if I see anything is different. I doubt it as the video posted is pretty simple. S8+ makes it one touch easy with Smart View built into the OS.

If that doesn't work, try downloading the Samsung Smart View app and try it out. Report back if it works or not.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rtviewad&hl=en

2021 BMW X3MC
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #16
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think that screen mirroring is only available with option 6NW Wireless Charging which has option ZEB.

6NW Wireless Charging
6NW will add 6WD and ZEB to the order
6NW requires ordering ZPP
6NW will delete STD or 100% equipment 6NH
Note: 6WD - WiFi Hotspot
Note: ZEB - Enhanced USB & Bluetooth

Maybe someone who doesn't have option 6NW can chime in and see if screen mirroring is available or if it can be enabled via coding.

With your Note 5, I would try via the iDrive. Watch the video posted above by Casotakar. Communications>Manage Devices>Connect Device>Screen Mirroring. I will check tomorrow and report back if I see anything is different. I doubt it as the video posted is pretty simple. S8+ makes it one touch easy with Smart View built into the OS.

If that doesn't work, try downloading the Samsung Smart View app and try it out. Report back if it works or not.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rtviewad&hl=en
I have the ZEB option. Just tried the Smart View app and all in says is it's trying to connect to a Samsung TV.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 10:56 PM   #17
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
I have the ZEB option. Just tried the Smart View app and all in says is it's trying to connect to a Samsung TV.
I would then guess your Note 5 is not fully compatible 6NW or the Smart View app. A quick Google search indicates that MirrorLink only works via a USB connection.

"In vehicles where it is supported, MirrorLink™ lets you view and interact with your mobile device on your car's display. Connect your device using a USB cable to control applications with the steering wheel and dashboard buttons. ... Your vehicle's stereo system must support MirrorLink to use this feature."

...and that BMW does not support MirrorLink.

https://mirrorlink.com/cars

Since you have optioned 6NW, you are going to have to upgrade your phone to take full advantage.

2021 BMW X3MC
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 07:23 PM   #18
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would then guess your Note 5 is not fully compatible 6NW or the Smart View app. A quick Google search indicates that MirrorLink only works via a USB connection.

"In vehicles where it is supported, MirrorLink™ lets you view and interact with your mobile device on your car's display. Connect your device using a USB cable to control applications with the steering wheel and dashboard buttons. ... Your vehicle's stereo system must support MirrorLink to use this feature."

...and that BMW does not support MirrorLink.

https://mirrorlink.com/cars

Since you have optioned 6NW, you are going to have to upgrade your phone to take full advantage.
I meant to include that I did try with and without the usb connected.
I guess this old phone is ready for the recycling pile. In reality, I doubt I would use the Mirrorlink anyway, just wanted to see if it worked. But I see the Mirrorlink website says the Note 5 is enabled to use it. But maybe Verizon blocks it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 07:38 PM   #19
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
I meant to include that I did try with and without the usb connected.
I guess this old phone is ready for the recycling pile. In reality, I doubt I would use the Mirrorlink anyway, just wanted to see if it worked. But I see the Mirrorlink website says the Note 5 is enabled to use it. But maybe Verizon blocks it.
I bet we would all use screen mirroring with mobility apps if they let us from the factory. BMW will probably never allow our smartphones to take over infotainment duty in our vehicles. Time will tell.

2021 BMW X3MC
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 05:01 PM   #20
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Sorry to bring up a old post, but I didn't want to create a new topic on the same thing.

I was wondering if anyone has gotten their mirroring to work on a X3 that didn't have mirroring available due to not having the ZEB option? I very much want to have mirroring capability even if I can't use it during driving (though I want to have it work during driving so I can use Waze).

I did notice that Bimmercode has these options for G01 and wonder if I get this, it would work for my 2019 X3.
Quote:
Video via USB
Active
Available in »Headunit« HU_NBT_EVO

Additional video codecs
Active

Video in motion
Active
Not active

Last edited by Rhidium; 12-28-2018 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 08:11 PM   #21
azf100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Yes but it could be coded to work while you are moving. Imagine Waze or other apps available on the infotainment screen while you drive. Remote phone control please! It will become a reality sooner than we think
I do this with Waze. Coded to allow video in motion. Set phone in landscape mode.

No remote control obviously.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 10:48 PM   #22
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by azf100 View Post
I do this with Waze. Coded to allow video in motion. Set phone in landscape mode.

No remote control obviously.
Did you have the wireless package for your X3 or did you have to code it using bimmercode?
Appreciate 0