BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #1
indyrich
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30i and 2014 335xi

Performance Center Delivery - A Must Do

Just back from a PCD of my wife's X3 30i. The accommodations were excellent with good meals and a shuttle from the airport in a new X5. It was raining for our day and the track events were interesting for sure in the wet!

The factory tour was the X3/X4 production building. Unfortunately we had to lock our cell phones and cameras in the car prior to entering. Some numbers that stood out were 1400 cars per day of which 70% were exported. It seemed that there was only 1 X4 for every 10 or 15 X3's going down the line, black and white being the dominant colors. A surprise (to me) was that seemingly half of the X3's were M40i's!

Following the factory tour, we were off to the off-road course. It was amazing to me what these things are capable of. Up and down man made mini-mountains where at one point we were precariously balanced on the left front wheel with the other 3 up in the air! That was followed by 'Chris Crafting' through a small pond where the water was above the doors.

It was gratifying to see how tight these cars were despite being beaten to death by in most cases ham-fisted drivers. Nary a rattle to be found. I heartily recommend the experience for anyone who is considering it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #2
James108
Rep
Drives: suburu Forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyrich View Post
Just back from a PCD of my wife's X3 30i. The accommodations were excellent with good meals and a shuttle from the airport in a new X5. It was raining for our day and the track events were interesting for sure in the wet!

The factory tour was the X3/X4 production building. Unfortunately we had to lock our cell phones and cameras in the car prior to entering. Some numbers that stood out were 1400 cars per day of which 70% were exported. It seemed that there was only 1 X4 for every 10 or 15 X3's going down the line, black and white being the dominant colors. A surprise (to me) was that seemingly half of the X3's were M40i's!

Following the factory tour, we were off to the off-road course. It was amazing to me what these things are capable of. Up and down man made mini-mountains where at one point we were precariously balanced on the left front wheel with the other 3 up in the air! That was followed by 'Chris Crafting' through a small pond where the water was above the doors.

It was gratifying to see how tight these cars were despite being beaten to death by in most cases ham-fisted drivers. Nary a rattle to be found. I heartily recommend the experience for anyone who is considering it.
do they offer any option to have the car waxed or ceramic coating? Like working with a local vendor to do these types of things prior to delivery. I would like to know the paint is well protected before taking the 2500 mile journey home ( at varying speeds with no cruise of course
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #3
sm32589g
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi M-sport

How? I was told there is no PCD for the X3. Also I don't see an option on build site.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #4
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm32589g View Post
How? I was told there is no PCD for the X3. Also I don't see an option on build site.
you have to request PCD East delivery from your dealer. Also, your dealer has to know how to request this - not all are created equal.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 07:39 AM   #5
kyoko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80, G01

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Nice! Can't wait to go at the end of the month!!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
J-sun
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:

Congrats on the 30i. I'll be there mid-May to pick up my M40i.

What time did things wrap up in the afternoon? I have a 600-mile drive back.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
indyrich
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James108 View Post
do they offer any option to have the car waxed or ceramic coating? Like working with a local vendor to do these types of things prior to delivery. I would like to know the paint is well protected before taking the 2500 mile journey home ( at varying speeds with no cruise of course
The literature that they give you states that the car will be presented to you professionally hand washed and waxed. It was looking so good under the lights that I forgot to ask about any details!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #8
indyrich
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-sun View Post
Congrats on the 30i. I'll be there mid-May to pick up my M40i.

What time did things wrap up in the afternoon? I have a 600-mile drive back.
they say that you'll be on the road no later than 3 PM. Everything was tightly scripted and I was off about 2:15.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #9
indyrich
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm32589g View Post
Definitely available for the X3. On the configurator, go down to the bottom of the page and look at Performance Driving Options. It's one of the products available but your CA has to initiate the process with the factory. Your dealer still plays an integral part in the process.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #10
kyoko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80, G01

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
they say that you'll be on the road no later than 3 PM. Everything was tightly scripted and I was off about 2:15.
You can request to leave earlier if you want. I said I needed to leave before 1:30. They got me in after lunch and I was out by 1PM. I didn't need them to do the whole walk through since I was already pretty familiar with the brand. I just had them connect the phone and then I was on my way.
Appreciate 0