BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    AUTOCAR - M5 vs AMG E63S vs CTS-V - super saloon triple test

04-14-2018, 08:07 AM   #1
Jez_zza
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

AUTOCAR - M5 vs AMG E63S vs CTS-V - super saloon triple test

A good read

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...on-triple-test
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
sniffi22
Rep
Drives: BMW

M5 winning everywhere :P . I like this
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffi22 View Post
M5 winning everywhere :P . I like this
And design loosing with every possible way...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

It is very close. I have not seen a single comparo in which one won with great margin over the other. It is down to personal preference. The M5 arrives in Brazil in June, and I intend to drive it and extract my own conclusions back to back with the 63S. Both are outstanding cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Never a fan of Autocar comparison tests, they rarely provide detailed test figures.

Autobild sportscar's next issue will have these cars in a comparison test, I'm waiting for that one.

I'm guessing the M5 will win that one as well. Acceleration test will be close (could go either way) but I think M5 wins the track test for sure, which means overall M5 should take the crown.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 06:58 PM   #6
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

It is not jusr the final conclusion that is important but the reasoning behind it, subjective though it may be. It is not that critical one car is faster by 0.1 s.

"The M5’s handling, meanwhile, couldn’t present a starker contrast with that of the CTS-V. It’s so outstanding, in fact, that even the walloping E63 isn’t ultimately in the same league as a driver’s car. It’s a brilliance you have to invest in before you can fully unearth it on the road, though – which brings us neatly to the last of those big questions we talked about earlier: complexity....

The M5 does the lot. And a car that so plainly advances its breed, setting new standards as a driver’s car as it goes, can only be a winner."

Also on the sound ... "It sounds authentic, you see – unlike the BMW (which doesn’t always have the sonic drama you might want from a super-saloon) and the Mercedes (which often has too much) when both rely too much on imitation engine noise piped in via the stereo speakers. Both the Germans have sports exhausts with ‘noisy’ modes, but neither is allowed solo billing when its V8 is at its wildest; and when there’s a 600-horsepower V8 to listen to, how daft is that? And even though the M5’s audio system engine sounds are the more contrived of the two, the E63’s end up irritating you just as much once your brain starts successfully filtering out which kind of rumble is coming from where."

Last edited by bm323; 04-14-2018 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #7
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

I think there is too much fanboyism around here. I have had the opportunity to drive the E63 S on track and streets. I have a M6 Gran Coupe 2015, and in the family we have a 991.2 Turbo. It is sublime. The car is fantastic, I just haven't bought it because I can't afford the depreciation this car has in my side of the pond from the purchase to the 2nd year of ownership. The E63 S is as good as the 991.2 Turbo as a driver's car in 99% of conditions. That is the highest type of compliment I can give to the car. It handles brilliantly, the transmission is excellent, the ride is ok (but a little on the stiff side of things), the engine is surreal. It is an amazing car. I believe the M5 F90 is as good the E63, meaning it is borderline spectacular.

I intend to buy a second hand M5 F90 or E63 S. Therefore there is no wrong answer. I think the wrong is to criticize these cars, the way people do it. It is funny to see in the AMG forum, noone seems to give 2 shits about the M5. They just say it is good and that is it. Here we see E63 S owners pulling arguments with M5 F90 owners (pointlessly by the way), other guys giving the E63 S horsecrap. I just think that is pathetic. Both are as good as. Period. You buy the car you identify yourself more.
Appreciate 4
Vic5518965.50
jc05e46m3843.50
Herofmine412.50
      04-14-2018, 09:00 PM   #8
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

From my recollection of the reviews, the difference in the drive between the 2 is not imperceptible.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 11:00 PM   #9
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

I think this review is in many ways more beneficial that the standard - who is quicker/faster? For me - and as is said by most of us by now - it's a subjective decision - I wanted the best all round experience.

That all said, according to the review - and I am a fan of Autocar (and Steve Sutcliffe in particular) - I have bought the right car:

"The way the BMW so cleverly packages, harnesses and wields the complexity of its driving experience ends up being the icing on the cake of a driving experience that is a monument to its creators. This car may not have the sledgehammer grunt of its opposite number from Mercedes-AMG, but it takes the super-saloon into new territory anyway with the remarkable, multi- faceted breadth of its CV. Want the handling agility and adjustability of a proper rear-driven sports car? Or the dynamic security and stability of an Audi RS, perhaps? Or to run with a Porsche 911 Turbo over a standing quarter? Or just to sit back and devour mile after mile of high-speed motorway in first order comfort and luxury? It’s all here.

The M5 does the lot. And a car that so plainly advances its breed, setting new standards as a driver’s car as it goes, can only be a winner.

1st - BMW M5: Stellar return to form for the super-saloon pioneer. Fast, balanced, involving and so multi-talented."
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 05:27 AM   #10
Goonba
Private
Rep
Drives: e63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post

Also on the sound ... "It sounds authentic, you see – unlike the BMW (which doesn’t always have the sonic drama you might want from a super-saloon) and the Mercedes (which often has too much) when both rely too much on imitation engine noise piped in via the stereo speakers. Both the Germans have sports exhausts with ‘noisy’ modes, but neither is allowed solo billing when its V8 is at its wildest; and when there’s a 600-horsepower V8 to listen to, how daft is that? And even though the M5’s audio system engine sounds are the more contrived of the two, the E63’s end up irritating you just as much once your brain starts successfully filtering out which kind of rumble is coming from where."
Just shows the quality of the journalism. There is no sound piped via speakers in AMGs! This has been proven by a number of tuners (pull the fuse to check yourself). A complete rumour started by crap journalism (C&D I believe). Yes there are flaps, but no speaker bollox like in M cars.

"The car (M5) doesn’t just have a handful of driving modeslike the Mercedes and Cadillac but also presents you with a dizzying number of choices about how you want its engine, gearbox, power steering, suspension, stability control system and four-wheel-drive system configured."

Da f*** is he talking about. All those things can be adjusted in the AMG other than the steering which just stiffens with a more aggressive setting.

Not even going to start about how he thinks the E63s is the more comfortable car.....think he got his conclusions all confused (the comments suggest the article was a bit all over the place when first released).

To anyone that hasn't driven the E63s it is literally the opposite of what this guy says, it is like a nascar/dtm car for the road and not laid back at all. Its a GT R in a sedan sweatsuit, and the fact its loud and not very comfortable make you want to floor it and get to places quicker. This is why it is special and thank you AMG for not making an all-rounder.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 08:17 AM   #11
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonba View Post
Just shows the quality of the journalism. There is no sound piped via speakers in AMGs! This has been proven by a number of tuners (pull the fuse to check yourself). A complete rumour started by crap journalism (C&D I believe). Yes there are flaps, but no speaker bollox like in M cars.

"The car (M5) doesn’t just have a handful of driving modeslike the Mercedes and Cadillac but also presents you with a dizzying number of choices about how you want its engine, gearbox, power steering, suspension, stability control system and four-wheel-drive system configured."

Da f*** is he talking about. All those things can be adjusted in the AMG other than the steering which just stiffens with a more aggressive setting.

Not even going to start about how he thinks the E63s is the more comfortable car.....think he got his conclusions all confused (the comments suggest the article was a bit all over the place when first released).

To anyone that hasn't driven the E63s it is literally the opposite of what this guy says, it is like a nascar/dtm car for the road and not laid back at all. Its a GT R in a sedan sweatsuit, and the fact its loud and not very comfortable make you want to floor it and get to places quicker. This is why it is special and thank you AMG for not making an all-rounder.
With your broad based expertise, knowledge and experience, you should create your own Car Magazine. It would be epic. AMG just crushed a __________ ! We would all read it. Promise.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #12
Jez_zza
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
... and thank you AMG for not making an all-rounder.
Yes thank you AMG !
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #13
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Quote:

"The car (M5) doesn't just have a handful of driving modeslike the Mercedes and Cadillac but also presents you with a dizzying number of choices about how you want its engine, gearbox, power steering, suspension, stability control system and four-wheel-drive system configured."

With your broad based expertise, knowledge and experience, you should create your own Car Magazine. It would be epic. AMG just crushed a __________ ! We would all read it. Promise.
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 1
onfireX53616.50
      04-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #14
neohh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post
A resounding victory for the AMG for not being good at everything!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #15
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosM4 View Post
I think there is too much fanboyism around here. I have had the opportunity to drive the E63 S on track and streets. I have a M6 Gran Coupe 2015, and in the family we have a 991.2 Turbo. It is sublime. The car is fantastic, I just haven't bought it because I can't afford the depreciation this car has in my side of the pond from the purchase to the 2nd year of ownership. The E63 S is as good as the 991.2 Turbo as a driver's car in 99% of conditions. That is the highest type of compliment I can give to the car. It handles brilliantly, the transmission is excellent, the ride is ok (but a little on the stiff side of things), the engine is surreal. It is an amazing car. I believe the M5 F90 is as good the E63, meaning it is borderline spectacular.

I intend to buy a second hand M5 F90 or E63 S. Therefore there is no wrong answer. I think the wrong is to criticize these cars, the way people do it. It is funny to see in the AMG forum, noone seems to give 2 shits about the M5. They just say it is good and that is it. Here we see E63 S owners pulling arguments with M5 F90 owners (pointlessly by the way), other guys giving the E63 S horsecrap. I just think that is pathetic. Both are as good as. Period. You buy the car you identify yourself more.
So well said, I'm surprised I didn't write it myself.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 1
CarlosM4399.00