BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-20-2018, 04:57 PM   #1
JeffHou73
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

2018 M40 – Distracting (non-tire) Noise At Speeds Above 25mph

A unique noise heard inside the cabin, which resembles either a light rattle or gurgle, and sounds somewhat like an old-time coffee percolator. It is distracting and can be easily heard with or without the radio volume turned up. I have 21-inch wheels but dealer has swapped temporarily to 19-inch to rule wheels/tires size out. Other attempts to no avail to isolate noise include taping up windows, doors, sun roof, etc. Possibly the noise is dependent on vehicle loading and its commensurate ride height that changes with weight. This car has the Adaptive Suspension option but I have not been able to isolate this option as being the culprit.

Any help or other observations would be appreciated.

Vehicle is fantastic - except for this "rattle/noise"!!

Have any other M40 drivers had this issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #2
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
As part of the diagnosis, can the dealer turn the active sound off?

Last edited by Slalom; 04-20-2018 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #3
JeffHou73
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
Nope - No way to turn on/off.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHou73 View Post
Nope - Can't turn sound on/off.
Well it can be coded off, the question is will BMW NA allow it to be turned off for diagnostic purposes. If not, there are ways...

I was left high and dry by BMW on the question of coding my radio to EU standards as a diplomatic delivery. An evening with a coding guru and I was able to safely drive in tunnels.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 06:38 PM   #5
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
You seem to be thinking what I'm thinking, which is that it's the normal exhaust sound that occurs when one lets off the throttle. That's often referred to as a "burble", although it doesn't go away with ASD coding.

Not saying that's what it is, but occasionally we have had people come in the forum and describe a "knocking" or "popping" when shifting or braking to discover it is just the performance exhaust sound.
Appreciate 1
Slalom508.50
      04-20-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
PFDnorthhills
Rep
Drives: X5 40e

I have the same issue as Jeff. The 2018 X3 40 has been to the dealer several times trying to identify the noise. It's Important to know what it's not! The following are those items, exhaust, who doesn't love that sound, engine, moonroof, tires, loose nuts bolts on underside, wheel bearings, cv joints.
The noise is not as loud on smooth pavement, it gets louder on roads that have rough surfaces. In the North East many back roads are tarred then oiled, and stone is added. These cause the loudest noise. It is however always there from low to higher speeds on all roads.
I agree with the description of the noise. It doesn't seem to be metal to metal or harsh, just incredibly annoying.
Anyone with the same condition? Would love to here and any known solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #7
JeffHou73
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFDnorthhills View Post
I have the same issue as Jeff. The 2018 X3 40 has been to the dealer several times trying to identify the noise. It's Important to know what it's not! The following are those items, exhaust, who doesn't love that sound, engine, moonroof, tires, loose nuts bolts on underside, wheel bearings, cv joints.
The noise is not as loud on smooth pavement, it gets louder on roads that have rough surfaces. In the North East many back roads are tarred then oiled, and stone is added. These cause the loudest noise. It is however always there from low to higher speeds on all roads.
I agree with the description of the noise. It doesn't seem to be metal to metal or harsh, just incredibly annoying.
Anyone with the same condition? Would love to here and any known solution.
Correct - It has been verified not to be exhaust, for sure, because you can shut the engine off completely while rolling (hitting the start/stop button 3-4 times) and the noise remains. Then, of course, remember to restart your engine to get home by pushing the button one more time - no need to touch the brake for re-start.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #8
AndreG
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 650 coupe

Noise in X3 M40

Have the same problem with my 2018 X3 M40 19" wheels. Drove several M40s: all identical noise with Pirelli and Bridgestone tires. Noise depends on road surface. Is speed independent though. Base X3 has no such issue. Is it true that BMW also delivers these M40s with Michelin tires?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #9
JeffHou73
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreG View Post
Have the same problem with my 2018 X3 M40 19" wheels. Drove several M40s: all identical noise with Pirelli and Bridgestone tires. Noise depends on road surface. Is speed independent though. Base X3 has no such issue. Is it true that BMW also delivers these M40s with Michelin tires?
I have the 21-inch Bridgestone Alenza's. That's interesting there is no noise on the base X3 - any ideas as to why? Do you not find the noise annoying?

As far as speed dependency, I agree it occurs once you get above 20-25 mph, but the pitch or cadence/frequency doesn't seem to vary/change once it starts, regardless of any changes in speed (above 25 mph)... It seems to either be "on" or "off" once it starts.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #10
AndreG
United_States
Rep

Jeff, I noticed your post is from Nov last year. Did you find any solution to this issue since then? Thanks! Andre
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 03:32 PM   #11
JeffHou73
Private
Rep

Quote:
Jeff, I noticed your post is from Nov last year. Did you find any solution to this issue since then? Thanks! Andre
I think I joined the forum in November...but didn't post until I after I took delivery of my M40 in late January.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #12
PFDnorthhills
Rep

Today wile getting coffee I talked to an individual with an X3 40. He to my surprise stated the same annoying noise we are experiencing. He wondered if it could be the exhaust sound system "active Sound"being introduced into the cabin. That in addition to exhaust sound it may you transmitting the annoying noise. He said he would code his car using Bimmercode to turn off that feature. I should here from him next week with any progress.
As Jeff has stated the noise is also evident when coasting in neutral engine off, so I don't hold much hope for the code change.
In any event many voices to BMW Corporate needs to happen in order to find a resolution. Service department that I use so stated, that is the only way to get some attention.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #13
AndreG
United_States
Rep

Jeff, I started to investigate this noise just recently although I got the car early March. The car has been in the workshop till this week because of issues with the paddle shifters. The noise really bothers me. You described it perfectly. I'll post in case I'll find something new.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 03:46 PM   #14
AndreG
United_States
Rep

My dealer started a PUMA Information Case on this issue. Apparently this brings it to the attention of BMW Engineering. Please ask your dealer to do the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #15
JeffHou73
Private
Rep

Quote:
My dealer started a PUMA Information Case on this issue. Apparently this brings it to the attention of BMW Engineering. Please ask your dealer to do the same.
I already have opened up a case thru BMW and have a "case manager" who is (supposedly) working with my dealership and also the BMW field engineer for this area. I already met and rode with the field engineer but there is not much movement on the issue from my perspective - yet. I plan to have a follow-up call with the case manager on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #16
DW_x3m40i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHou73 View Post
Quote:
I already have opened up a case thru BMW and have a "case manager" who is (supposedly) working with my dealership and also the BMW field engineer for this area. I already met and rode with the field engineer but there is not much movement on the issue from my perspective - yet. I plan to have a follow-up call with the case manager on Monday.
I'm noticing the same issue now that everyone is bringing it up. Did any of you get a case number I can reference my advisor?

I'm dropping off my car Tuesday to get the steering wheel vibration looked at. That's the other issue you get with an early build m40i
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #17
AndreG
United_States
Rep

I’ll try to find out next week.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 09:16 PM   #18
JeffHou73
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW_x3m40i View Post
I'm noticing the same issue now that everyone is bringing it up. Did any of you get a case number I can reference my advisor?

I'm dropping off my car Tuesday to get the steering wheel vibration looked at. That's the other issue you get with an early build m40i
No case number per se... and I've already been told they don't like to reference similar issues across complaints because so many symptoms are similar for different problems. That's efficiency isn't it? Seems like they would want to pool issues, symptoms, suggestions...

Please post any good findings from your visit. I'm not familiar with any vibration issues...wheel balance you think (hopefully)?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #19
AndreG
United_States
Rep

I checked with my dealer and was told that PUMA codes are “internal information “ that cannot be disclosed. Strange: the same work order shows the PUMA code for my paddle shifters problem. They assured me though that a case was opened on the noise issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #20
Swampman
Swampman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40 - Glacier Silver

I used BimmerCode and the V-gate pro adapter to turn ASD off. Unfortunately it had no affect on the rumble or whine we hear at most speeds and road conditions. I turned ASD back on since there is absolutely no engine feedback, i.e shifting rpms, etc. I am an old manual transmission guy but love the 8 speed in these cars.
I will test the rumble on grass once I find a field smooth enough for 25 mph. Dirt roads I can access sooner. My engineering instincts are pointing more toward a resonance node amplified through aluminum body panels with tires or drive components generating the triggering frequency. Sometimes an easy fix if the “amplifier” is found. We will keep on it and follow the blogs for BMW responses.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #21
PFDnorthhills
Rep

Swampman
Thanks for your test of possible effect ASD might have on noise. I just ordered the Vgate WiFi OBD adaptor to code changes for that test.
I have had the dealer remove bottom panel cover, the one in back of engine cover. There was no visible evidence of loose fasteners or components.
When you get a chance to drive on grass, I think you will find the the noise is gone. Additionally, I have dropped the air in the 19" run flat tires to 20lbs. The thought was that the stiff side walls contribute to transmitting noise to the suspension. Noise was still there on road services. Still, suspension could be a factor. The mystery continues.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #22
larrybmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Is this issue fixed already, I just have 2020 X3 M40i, and have same issue.
any advise?
Appreciate 0