BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-20-2018, 09:15 PM   #1
surfearth
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Front License Plate Mount Install?

Just picked up my m40i from the dealer yesterday and am very pleased with it thus far. I just noticed that the dealer didn't install the front license plate mount and am wondering how to install it*. I inspected the front bumper and didn't see any holes for mounting.

Having inspected the plastic mount that the dealer left in the trunk, it appears that I need to insert the two plastic 'tabs' on the bottom of the mount into the seam between the radar sensor and main bumper. Then it appears that two top screws need to be inserted into a seam between the main bumper and plastic piece above it. The main issue I have is that it looks like the screws just go into the crack without any holes, which would definitely cause some minor damage.

Is this right? I can probably take it to the dealer next week when the plates arrive from DMV, but would prefer to mount it myself if possible. I checked the manual but front plate installation wasn't mentioned in the index.

* Based in California so the front plate is mandatory.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, Audi RS6, Mini Cooper

Garage List
First time I've ever seen someone on this forum asking for a front license plate to be installed. Keep it off! Looks way better

I'm in Cali too

2023 F56 MINI Cooper SE Midnight Black II on Carbon Black
2021 C8 Audi RS6 Avant Mythos Black on Black/Grey
2016 F80 BMW M3 Black Sapphire Metallic on Silverstone
Appreciate 3
SamS866.50
      04-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #3
MostlyHarmless
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
The dealer will mount it for you if you don't mind them drilling holes in the bumper for it. A lot of people on the forums are looking at ways to mount it without drilling holes, such as the US Millworks, or one that mounts under the bumper like the STO N SHO; both have options for a quick-release mount so you can remove the plate easily for photos, car shows, washing the car, etc., and mount it for normal driving so you don't get cited.
2002 E46 330i in OB

Last edited by MostlyHarmless; 04-21-2018 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 08:17 PM   #4
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
MN requires front plate. I've gone last 10+ years on two different cars without. Unless regularly park downtown, uptime or by the U (local MN landmarks), cops don't care.

That said, Dealer will install via drill, or use link from MostlyHarmless or similar product to mount in tow hook spot.
Appreciate 0