F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > "Driveline malfuction" Warning Disappeared
Studio RSR

04-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #1
cross90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31, 330d M-Sport

"Driveline malfuction" Warning Disappeared

Driving this morning I got this message:

"Driveline Malfunction: Drive Moderately: Maximum drivetrain output not avaliable. Consult service center"

and then before I had chance to pull in and take note of what was happening the message disappeared. Following this I am unable to find any warnings or faults showing in the iDrive system, its as if it never happened.

Car sounds fine, and seems to be running quite fine aswell. Still going to call BMW in the morning and book it in to take a look I imagine something will be logged behind the scenes with a specific fault code ?

The warranty finishes in a week also, I received my letter regarding extended warranty, which I thought I had made the decision on and not bother with. But this has certainly got me thinking again!!

Almost seems uncanny, an error messages preprogrammed to throw up a week before said warranty expires perhaps ?! Definately got me thinking about warranty extension, and I don't even know if anything is wrong yet.

The car is a F31 330d with 67,000 miles on the clock. Never missed a beat so far, bar routine service no noteable work. Due its next 'health check' and oil change in 3000 miles.

Has anyone had anything similar happen ? Or know what it might be expected to be at this mileage ? I know it could be one of many things, just unsure if there is anything common that I've missed when searching around the forum.

Cheers

Last edited by cross90; 04-22-2018 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
ilyabarankevich
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16" M135I / White / Red

I have a 15" 335 30k miles with a few mods and I had something like this happen a few months back. I went to accelerate hard on highway and it kicked it out of gear and put me into reduced power. I pulled over shut it off and restarted it and it was like it never happened. I reached a conclusion that it over boosted. It was a -10F evening... No issue since
      05-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #3
cross90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31, 330d M-Sport

Thanks for your reply

Having had the car into BMW they have now confirmed it is the EGR valve at fault, and are replacing it. Covering it under warranty which is good!
Appreciate 0