F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Exterior Lights off when Open Door
GetBMWParts

04-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
jayt91
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i GC

Exterior Lights off when Open Door

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone could check if their external lights (Front & Rear LEDs) remain active when opening the door after the engine is shut off at night; my lights turn off immediately.

I drive a 2018 LCI 430i GC (Canadian) but I assume F30 LCIs should function the same as well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Mine also turn off when I open the door. If I need the lights in a dark parking lot, I pull the turn signal stalk after I shut the car off. The length of time the lights will stay on when you do this is adjustable in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
jayt91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Mine also turn off when I open the door. If I need the lights in a dark parking lot, I pull the turn signal stalk after I shut the car off. The length of time the lights will stay on when you do this is adjustable in iDrive.
The signal stalk is for the low beams though right? I know that the low beams turn off once the ignition is switched off (unless you pull the signal stalk) but the angel eyes/coronas also shuts off when I open the door. I believe that they are supposed to stay on for a while after but is this the same thing that happens to you?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 04:45 PM   #4
bayarea_f30
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

I have pre-lci f30 and the angel eyes shuts off when I open the door.
Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      04-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
jayt91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea_f30 View Post
Interesting, thanks. I wonder why they program it that way... Hopefully someone with an LCI 3/4er could share if they experience the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayt91 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea_f30 View Post
Interesting, thanks. I wonder why they program it that way... Hopefully someone with an LCI 3/4er could share if they experience the same thing.
It is like that with an LCI car. Haven't tried pulling the signal stock, is this like high beams or something? So you pull the signal stalk after shutting off engine and this turns the headlights back on?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
jayt91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
It is like that with an LCI car. Haven't tried pulling the signal stock, is this like high beams or something? So you pull the signal stalk after shutting off engine and this turns the headlights back on?
Yes, the headlights turn on for the time period you set for the welcome lights in iDrive when you pull the signal stalk after shutting off the engine. I wish that they could have added an option to make this automatic though.

I was under the impression that the parking lights (angel eyes/taillights) stay lit though...But I guess that isn't the case.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, the headlights turn on for the time period you set for the welcome lights in iDrive when you pull the signal stalk after shutting off the engine. I wish that they could have added an option to make this automatic though.

I was under the impression that the parking lights (angel eyes/taillights) stay lit though...But I guess that isn't the case.
Tried that but it didn't work just flash the high beams while holding the signal stalk. I open the door and everything shuts off. I did turn on the low beams and it chimes that lights are on when I open the door and I'm not sure how long they stay on after locking the car but seems longer than 20s I have set for welcome lights.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
jayt91
Rep

Quote:
Tried that but it didn't work just flash the high beams while holding the signal stalk. I open the door and everything shuts off. I did turn on the low beams and it chimes that lights are on when I open the door and I'm not sure how long they stay on after locking the car but seems longer than 20s I have set for welcome lights.
Are your lights set to automatic? After you shut off the engine I think you need to hit start/stop again without your foot on the brakes (iDrive will shutdown). Then pull the signal stalk and the lights should stay on after you exit.
Appreciate 1
bimmer4562962.50
      04-23-2018, 11:26 AM   #10
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Are your lights set to automatic? After you shut off the engine I think you need to hit start/stop again without your foot on the brakes (iDrive will shutdown). Then pull the signal stalk and the lights should stay on after you exit.
Ok I'll try that. I do like to have the radio on after shutting off the car though. Will it work if I hit the power button on the radio to turn it back on after the second press of the start stop button? I know locking the car will turn off the radio/idrive. Also would like the lights to stay on for a few seconds after locking.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #11
jayt91
Rep

Quote:
Ok I'll try that. I do like to have the radio on after shutting off the car though. Will it work if I hit the power button on the radio to turn it back on after the second press of the start stop button? I know locking the car will turn off the radio/idrive. Also would like the lights to stay on for a few seconds after locking.
I haven't tried that but you could give it a go. The lights will stay on after locking for the time set for welcome lights when you pull the signal stalk.

I wish the parking lights would stay on automatically at the very least...I could've sworn they did before but I may just be paranoid.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #12
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I haven't tried that but you could give it a go. The lights will stay on after locking for the time set for welcome lights when you pull the signal stalk.

I wish the parking lights would stay on automatically at the very least...I could've sworn they did before but I may just be paranoid.
Just tried it on my LCI. The parking lights were also on. The power button on the radio always works even without the key fob in the car. I'm pretty sure it turned it off like normal when I locked but it turns off after about 10 minutes anyway. Cool.

Just wished I didn't have to turn off the radio by double pressing the start stop button as I like just pressing once and then exiting and locking to turn off the radio. Looks like the headlights/taillights turn off when I open the door so I have to pull in the stalk again to turn it back on.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 03:24 PM   #13
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Quote:
On the LCI you need to push the signal stalk away from you to get this function activated.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 03:36 PM   #14
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
Quote:
On the LCI you need to push the signal stalk away from you to get this function activated.
Actually it turns out the car has to be turned all the way off and then pull the signal stalk towards you. See later posts.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:27 AM   #15
Somebloke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Do you mean exterior welcome lights?

It's in the iDrive settings:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 05:59 PM   #16
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Quote:
Actually it turns out the car has to be turned all the way off and then pull the signal stalk towards you. See later posts.
I have to push the signal stalk away from myself to engage lights once the car is off
Mine is 18 340.
On my 15 335 I had to pull it.
On a side note, really dislike new turning signal and wiper stalks
Appreciate 0