BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-23-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
Scottatah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M40i

Question Xpel, debadge, tint - dealer vs local shop?

Evening,

I'm expecting my X3 to arrive in the next 2-4 weeks and am slowly trying to get my ducks in a row. I would like to get the below done items done, but have some questions.
  • Xpel hood, fender mirror and bumper kit
  • Tint rear windows a bunch and side windows 50%
  • De-badge vehicle

Questions
1. Assuming I'm planning a partial hood, any strong opinions of 18" vs 24" hood coverage? I don't have prices handy and benefits are obvious, but does that extra 6" make a world of difference?

2. Local shops can do the Xpel for around $900CDN installed. Dealer couldn't match but would prob be $100-$200 more (advertised price was $1495). Is there any benefit to the dealer installing the PPF vs a local shop?

3. Presumably whomever does the Xpel will also do the tint and probably the debage. Knowing the dealer is already $100-200 more, is there any benefit to using the dealer here?

We've already agreed on most of the pricing, except for warranty, maintenance, tire protections, etc. they're gonna throw at me when finalizing paperwork. I wasn't planning on purchasing any of it, but it seemed like a good time to talk the items above. My only personal thought for the dealer doing this all would simply be that the vehicle can be 100% ready to go when I pick it up. Also, I suppose having the dealer responsible for everything would be nice, but I've never had an issue with tint before. I'm a first time BMW customer, but I sorta feel like getting dealers to cover any warranty work is a pain (maybe thats an unfair assumption on my part?).
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 09:34 PM   #2
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
I like Xpel for headlights. I have for M40i, will install next week. Pretty easy to,do.

I had done clear bra on Lexus, not pleased with long term results. Hood actually rusted underneath clear bra. Removal after some years was terrible! Actually came off in little pieces. Goo be gone didn’t work well. Damaged paint using heat gun. Won’t ever do that again. Frankly, with today’s paints, don’t know that you have to.

I did buy to 9H Ceramic Coating at Amazon (@$60/ea.). Will, apply next weekend.

Dealer debadged for me.
Appreciate 0