BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-24-2018, 07:57 AM   #1
gearcritic
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Shell fuel recommended???

I was filling up at my gas station and noticed this sticker. Is this really the case? I would think that it wouldn't really matter.

Name:  IMG_0146 (4).jpg
Views: 4722
Size:  104.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #2
KAP8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

I've always only used Shell Vpower in my BMW's. Mike Miller has always recommended it. Long before BMW teamed up with Shell.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 08:32 AM   #3
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Any top tier gas would be fine.

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/
Appreciate 1
greg2step211.50
      04-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #4
Siouxbie
Rep
Drives: Future X3 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
Any top tier gas would be fine.

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/
I strongly disagree with this statement. Your telling me the tiny Conoco down the street with two pumps has the same quality gas as the Shell with 8 pumps and has a new semi load of fuel once a week?

Not even close sir, your article basically lists every little mom and pop station as well as every major brand.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 09:15 AM   #5
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Top Tier program is about detergent additives of which studies have repeated stated will reduce buildup on valves over time. You may or may not agree with this. I don't believe the program takes into account any other factors than detergent additives.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 09:22 AM   #6
classj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328xi E90, X3 M40i, M2CS,X7M50

I use Shell almost exclusively in my performance cars when possible.

There are differences among fuel brands. One of my cars will ping badly on 93 octane gas from BP and I would have to pull timing to make things run right.

On Shell its fine.

Exxon is somewhere in the middle.

The ethanol in modern fuel is what really kills power and gas mileage.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 10:01 AM   #7
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxbie View Post
I strongly disagree with this statement. Your telling me the tiny Conoco down the street with two pumps has the same quality gas as the Shell with 8 pumps and has a new semi load of fuel once a week?

Not even close sir, your article basically lists every little mom and pop station as well as every major brand.
I read it on the internet so it has to be true.....

I only use Exxon Mobil or Shell in my car but yes....any of it will be fine in yours.

Honestly both my Mercedes and Audi owner's manual just states to us Top Tier premium gas.

It is not "my article", it's a well respected consumer group that has set standards in gasoline.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #8
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Just try and use Top Tier gas whenever possible. Heck, I've even used non-Top Tier gas once-in-a-while (mostly during road trips) and our cars have turned out fine. Then again, we don't tend to keep something past 6 or 7 years or past 80K miles... YMMV
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 06:03 AM   #9
SenseiSimple
Rep
Drives: Alpine White X3 M40i

My 2011 128i recommended 89+ octane gasoline from BP, my 2017 m240i recommends 91+ from Shell same as the X3 on the fuel door sticker.

If you look at the oil fill cap you'll probably also see an oil brand recommendation. The 128 was Mobile1, the m240 is Castrol and I've seen Pennzoil recommended on the oil cap in years in between...

I'm guessing it's related to sponsorship agreements and maybe performance/quality-consistency testing but I wonder which comes first.

The concern with using a podunk gas station's gas (when they display top tier brand fuels) is moreso related to the condition of their equipment and storage which can maybe introduce a little extra stuff like sediment or water into your tank. This also doesn't take into account the possibility of unethical practices for a largely unmonitored/uncertified (or expired) individual station such as buying off-brand/lower quality fuel but labeling it as a top tier, or giving you 87 octane fuel when you think you're getting 93. Could even just be a poorly maintained pump with a faulty (or tampered) meter overcharging you.

I'd imagine big chains are more tightly controlled because ramifications can be much more damaging than trying to cheat the customer (willfully or accidentally).

But considering state weight & measurement inspectors are very few compared to all the work they have before them problem pumps or vendors could go unchecked for years.

Then again, there is also the old advice at any fuel station that could affect you regardless of fuel quality or equipment status, which is not to pump when you see a tanker truck refilling the fuel storage since it could stir up sediment or water in the tanks. Likewise the impact of pumping early in the morning when the fuel is cooler and more condensed vs during the day when it has expanded some. Snopes does an analysis, though they leave some factors that contribute to either side of arguments out https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dawn-petrol/

In the time scales of your average lease, none of these things will likely matter but for long term ownership there is some value to using the correct fuel octane rating and being wary of poorly maintained gas stations since the effects are cumulative like engine damage from knocking or your fuel filter getting fouled from sediment... this is more of a 10-15 year concern in most cases, unless you live in a dusty climate or your favorite station Shell or otherwise is pumping your tank full of mud.

There is also concern when using the same top tier gas always that the detergents can build up or crystalize on your valves as opposed to carbon deposits from fewer cleaning additives so it depends on what you are more worried about, immediate fuel/engine efficiency or overall longevity - there's always a compromise.

The bottom line is, just as you'd probably become ill fairly quickly if you only ate one kind of food, no matter how nutritious, it's probably best to mix up your gas stations and fuel types. Keeping in mind that performance engines have a higher likelihood of experiencing knocking from weaker fuel and there are many mechanisms built into the engine control to mitigate these problems such as knock sensing and prediction which can then resolve these transient conditions by adjusting the fuel/air ratio or timing when there is a problem - which affects performance and fuel economy in various ways but prevents damage to the engine itself.

Last edited by SenseiSimple; 05-04-2018 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 2
Max Well4742.00
darrylo251.00
      05-04-2018, 07:41 AM   #10
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseiSimple View Post
I'm guessing it's related to sponsorship agreements and maybe performance/quality-consistency testing but I wonder which comes first. ... The bottom line is, just as you'd probably become ill fairly quickly if you only ate one kind of food, no matter how nutritious, it's probably best to mix up your gas stations and fuel types. Keeping in mind that performance engines have a higher likelihood of experiencing knocking from weaker fuel and there are many mechanisms built into the engine control to mitigate these problems such as knock sensing and prediction which can then resolve these transient conditions by adjusting the fuel/air ratio or timing when there is a problem - which affects performance and fuel economy in various ways but prevents damage to the engine itself.
Welcome to the G01 Forum, SenseiSimple, and appreciate your informative summary. Seeing where you are located, seems possible you are in the oil business, especially with your reasoned approach to this question?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #11
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

In Canada Shell V Power has no ethanol blended in it, since the rules on ethanol only apply to the overall gasoline stock. It's by far the best 91 premium here due to the improved mileage with straight dinosaur vs corn and dino.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 01:49 AM   #12
SenseiSimple
Rep
Drives: Alpine White X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Welcome to the G01 Forum, SenseiSimple, and appreciate your informative summary. Seeing where you are located, seems possible you are in the oil business, especially with your reasoned approach to this question?
HAHA thanks for the welcome!

I am definitely not in the oil business but have done a lot of research on this, specifically white papers and spec sheets for different motor oils and gasoline additives, tied them together with anecdotal and visual evidence from all over the place, and from my own experience working as a mechanic for a few years.

The reason i'm oddly passionate about the subject is because i've had a few heated debates with people who don't believe some things are even possible (like fuel tank sedimentation or temp. vs fuel volume/density changes) simple things..

So any time i see/hear a question about this, i have to chime in, and ultimately I always boil it down to treating gas as you treat your own nutrition... variety is good!
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00