BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-24-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
manish_X3i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 - 2018

2018 BMW X3 - Sunglass holder

I just took delivery of 2018 BMW X3 (2 days ago). This is my first ever BMW. I couldn't locate sunglass holder in the car. I have Acura as well and that does have a sunglass holder. I am wondering if BMW X3 never had a location to keep sunglasses or this new 2018 model don't have it or if i am missing anything.

Can someone please direct me to answer.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 09:38 PM   #2
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
That would be the compartment under the headlight controls that would be used for this purpose. The X3 never had a specific sunglass holder, but rather this all purpose drawer to the side.
Appreciate 1
ando2002.00
      04-24-2018, 10:05 PM   #3
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
That would be the compartment under the headlight controls that would be used for this purpose. The X3 never had a specific sunglass holder, but rather this all purpose drawer to the side.
You are spot on. We don't have overhead sunglasses fold down holders in the ceiling like other brands.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 10:05 PM   #4
Sandblaster
Rep
Drives: X3

I have found the tip out compartment under the light switch the perfect size for my wallet & key fob. Sunglasses for me are stored in the center armrest.
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00
      04-25-2018, 07:56 AM   #5
tenflyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 x30i

Manish - what are your early thoughts on it after having it a day or two? I'm still ~ 6 weeks from mine being built, I just like hearing about impressions.

And I happened to catch on one of the youtube reviews where that storage compartment is under the headlights, that's exactly where I figured I'd be putting my sunglasses. Of course I will need to switch to non polarized so I can see the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 11:23 AM   #6
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M40i

Different country so likely different spec/package, but in the UK the Extended Storage package provides a dedicated sunglasses holder. So at least such a thing can exist on the new X3 but not standard.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
tenflyer
Private
Rep

That's interesting, in the US we definitely do not have the extended storage package. What else does that come with? Just curious. Sounds like something I would have wanted/added.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 11:50 AM   #8
manish_X3i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenflyer View Post
Manish - what are your early thoughts on it after having it a day or two? I'm still ~ 6 weeks from mine being built, I just like hearing about impressions.

And I happened to catch on one of the youtube reviews where that storage compartment is under the headlights, that's exactly where I figured I'd be putting my sunglasses. Of course I will need to switch to non polarized so I can see the HUD.
This is my first ever BMW and I am surprised to experience the amount of power in this car. I have a 2016 Acura RDX as well which is a pure V6 engine but X3 is twin turbo engine. I have X3 Xdrive 30i. I liked M40i for its sports looks and wheels but for me another constraint was budget and cost of fuel consumption in a long run. I have replaced by Honda CRV after 9 years with BMW X3. I keep my cars for a long duration so thats why fuel cost was another factor for me. So far i can tell the driving experience is different. I have 19 inch wheels so i don't feel much noise. When I drive my Acura - then i feel like its a smooth ride but when i drive BMW X3 - I get a different feel in driving this machine, Its feel like you are driving something solid on road which reliable and powerful and definitely give you some sports feeling. I am very new to BMW to I have yet to explore a lot. So far no complaint.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #9
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That's interesting, in the US we definitely do not have the extended storage package. What else does that come with? Just curious. Sounds like something I would have wanted/added.
"Extended Storage makes the interior and luggage compartment of the vehicle more practical for everyday use with an array of additional storage solutions. A hinged compartment under the front seats, a glasses compartment on the driver’s side and storage nets on the back of the front seats all belong Extended Storage. A USB adapter and 12 V socket are also incorporated into the rear centre console. Furthermore, a fastening strap and two multipurpose hooks on the left and right luggage compartment walls, lashing rails on the luggage compartment floor and four adjustable fastening points also offer a range of options for storing and securing items. An additional 12 V power socket is also located in the luggage compartment. A USB port for charging external devices is located in the second row of seats for rear passengers."

Is a lot of this covered by other packages in the US? Admittedly it is not exactly a spectacular package but it comes with the wider Comfort Package here.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 12:01 PM   #10
comber
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
Different country so likely different spec/package, but in the UK the Extended Storage package provides a dedicated sunglasses holder. So at least such a thing can exist on the new X3 but not standard.
In Spain we have also this package, standard with Luxury Line, and literally says that includes a dedicated sunglasses holder in the drivers side (among other things), but as I still do not have the car, I cannot say where is it exactly...

Could you please post a picture of it? I cannot find it in the 3D configurator.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #11
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by comber View Post
In Spain we have also this package, standard with Luxury Line, and literally says that includes a dedicated sunglasses holder in the drivers side (among other things), but as I still do not have the car, I cannot say where is it exactly...

Could you please post a picture of it? I cannot find it in the 3D configurator.
I suspect you will have your car before mine so YOU can post the pics
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 12:11 PM   #12
comber
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X4 M40i

Quote:
ok...so I see we are both in the same situation. I ordered mine last 4th April, tomorrow I'm going to the dealer to see if there is a VIN and date, so we will see who is able to find the glasses holder first
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #13
tenflyer
Private
Rep

Quote:
"
Is a lot of this covered by other packages in the US? Admittedly it is not exactly a spectacular package but it comes with the wider Comfort Package here.
I'm in the same boat as you and our friend in Spain, anxiously awaiting as well so not quite sure.

Some of the things are I know that specifically I believe the rails and fastening points, probably the hooks, in the luggage area. But I'm pretty sure there isn't the under seat storage area, definitely not the extra USB/12V outlets, things like that.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #14
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm in the same boat as you and our friend in Spain, anxiously awaiting as well so not quite sure.

Some of the things are I know that specifically I believe the rails and fastening points, probably the hooks, in the luggage area. But I'm pretty sure there isn't the under seat storage area, definitely not the extra USB/12V outlets, things like that.
Yes, there are quite a few things like this where I ticked the box and will only discover what it actually is once I get the car!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 04:05 PM   #15
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
"Extended Storage makes the interior and luggage compartment of the vehicle more practical for everyday use with an array of additional storage solutions. A hinged compartment under the front seats,
Is this hinged compartment just a plastic box and door? I wonder if it can be retrofitted into US models, which don't have this option? Years ago, you could do this with the E46, and it was nice to have.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #16
Yizu
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
In the US the extended storage package is standard on all X3's.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #17
tenflyer
Private
Rep

Yizu - I don't think so. I'm not 100% but I am pretty sure I won't be getting some of those features snakehips posted. Just looked at my build spec sheet there is a standard 'storage package' but not the extended storage. The differences may be a few of those things like front seat hinged compartment, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #18
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
There is a little slot next to the charging pad / storage area that fits the FOB just right.
Attached Images

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 07:46 PM   #19
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
Is this hinged compartment just a plastic box and door? I wonder if it can be retrofitted into US models, which don't have this option? Years ago, you could do this with the E46, and it was nice to have.
Yes, what is "A hinged compartment under the front seats,"?????? I could find that very useful!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 08:01 PM   #20
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by comber View Post
ok...so I see we are both in the same situation. I ordered mine last 4th April, tomorrow I'm going to the dealer to see if there is a VIN and date, so we will see who is able to find the glasses holder first
LOL, I will save you both the time and show it to you... In this video at the 10:40 mark, you can see it underneath the headlight/foglight controls.

Appreciate 1
      04-25-2018, 08:17 PM   #21
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
LOL, I will save you both the time and show it to you... In this video at the 10:40 mark, you can see it underneath the headlight/foglight controls.

lol, no one's going to even notice the car, and so I'll just mention that a better view of the holder is at 12:00.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17489.00
      04-25-2018, 08:26 PM   #22
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
lol, no one's going to even notice the car, and so I'll just mention that a better view of the holder is at 12:00.
LMAO, oh yes. That is a better view.
Appreciate 1