BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Is the new M2 Competition suspension set up gonna be too hardcore for the UK roads ?

04-25-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
Euromeister
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Is the new M2 Competition suspension set up gonna be too hardcore for the UK roads ?

With a new suspension setup for the competition,new springs and damper and the car riding lower,will it be too hardcore for the daily drive ?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

It might ride better !
Appreciate 1
Remonster824.00
      04-25-2018, 10:22 AM   #3
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euromeister View Post
With a new suspension setup for the competition,new springs and damper and the car riding lower,will it be too hardcore for the daily drive ?
The proof of the pudding is in the eating: you gotta take it out for a drive to check whether those all-new ball joints also rustle your balls.
      04-25-2018, 11:02 AM   #4
M2_Purist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Quote:
Hey sorry I missed the part where they were lowering it... can you please cut and paste details?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

I haven't been following ALL the threads. Where are the details on the suspension? Curious about this as well since it would be a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
I've seen conflicting info regarding what has or hasn't changed but from what BMW's marketing has put out plus the interviews with Frank van Meel, it seems like they actually made the car a little more compliant rather than less compliant as you might expect.

Balljoints move a lot more freely than rubber bushings, in fact when you switch from a rubber bushing to a metal balljoint, you effectively lower the spring rate by a tiny amount since there is less resistance in the suspension joint itself - the balljoint moves more "smoothly" if that makes sense.

I believe we're looking at a car with new suspension joints (not sure which ones or how many have been changed yet), new springs, revised damper valving, new chassis bracing, and a different weight and weight balance. None of us know exactly how these changes feel yet, reviews should be coming in a few months but until then, we don't have a way to know aside from marketing fluff.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 11:19 AM   #7
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
I haven't been following ALL the threads. Where are the details on the suspension? Curious about this as well since it would be a daily driver.
5mm lowered ride height
Ball joint suspension
Spring/damper retuning(according to head of development...Dirk Hacker)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #8
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z435is View Post
Hey sorry I missed the part where they were lowering it... can you please cut and paste details?
When comparing the specs data:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
  • Same height (1410mm);
  • M2 Competition is 7mm shorter (4461mm instead of 4468mm) (reason: 'front end to front wheel' reduced with 7mm);
  • M2 Competition sits 5mm lower (ground clearance: 118mm instead of 123mm);
  • M2 Competition weighs 55kg extra (1550kg instead of 1495kg);
  • M2 Competition max width is 6mm longer (1990mm instead of 1984mm: different mirrors);
  • M2 Competition got higher fuel consumption (but same ± 52 liter fuel tank) and higher CO2.
See the specs:
M2 and M2 Competition have the same height, but the M2 Competition is 5mm closer to the ground (less ground clearance).

M2:
Name:  M2_Size.png
Views: 6795
Size:  99.1 KB

M2 Competition:
Name:  M2C_Size.png
Views: 6491
Size:  187.0 KB
ChrisK4449.00
      04-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #9
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
If you have to ask, then it is too hard-core for you!
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
When comparing the specs data:

M2 and M2 Competition have the same height, but the M2 Competition is 5mm closer to the ground (less ground clearance).

M2:
Attachment 1812835

M2 Competition:
Attachment 1812836

THANK YOU! Anything on the approach angle? Looks reduced in that diagram.

I don't want to scuff the front pulling into Wal-Mart for diapers.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #11
Io
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI DCT LBB

Most BMW websites mention a weight of 1570/1595kg for the M2 LCI MT/DKG, e.g.
https://www.bmw.de/de/neufahrzeuge/m...ten.html#tab-0
And several BMW websites mention 1550/1575kg for the M2C DKG, e.g.
https://www.bmw.be/fr/all-models/m-s...ues.html#tab-0
So now I'm confused: which one is the heavier?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #12
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphirschwarz View Post
It might ride better !
I find the M2 LCI brilliant for UK roads. Given it only has the one setting I think it's ideal for daily driving. Slightly softer than my 1M was and better for my purposes.

Competition could well be too firm and given it will only have the one setting, could well need a test drive.

But I guess the rest of the car will make up for it, even if it does turn out that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #13
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
I find the M2 LCI brilliant for UK roads. Given it only has the one setting I think it's ideal for daily driving. Slightly softer than my 1M was and better for my purposes.
Competition could well be too firm and given it will only have the one setting, could well need a test drive.
But I guess the rest of the car will make up for it, even if it does turn out that way.

Quote:
Alike in base M2 VIN build sheets, nowhere in 'M2 Competition' VIN build sheets any reference whatsoever to the Adaptive M Suspension (BMW code 2VF).

On the other hand, upgraded brakes will be optional (option code 2NH: M Sport brakes) but no reference to carbon ceramic brakes in 'M2 Competition' VIN build sheets.

Riding a horse: just one setting and that's it. It's just a matter of getting a good horse.

Here's what M2 project manager Frank Isenberg said at the end of 2015 about the M2 tires, suspension and brakes:
"That chunkier body - 55mm wider front, 80mm rear - is essential to cover wider track courtesy of M4 forged aluminium suspension components. «The track is the same, but the M4 tyres wouldn't fit, so the tyres are 10mm narrower,» says Isenberg. The Michelin Pilot Sports measure 245/35 ZR19 front, 265/35 ZR19 rear.
The suspension is matched to bespoke springs and dampers but there's no adapative suspension. «The problem with adaptive dampers is you're changing the damper, not the spring, so you end up with a spring that is a compromise between two settings,» explains Isenberg.
Underneath the M2's squat body, additional bracing increases rigidity. «Boomerang braces» arc between headlamps and front wings, struts angled at 45 degrees glint through both kidney grilles like a rollcage through a rear window, and both the A-pillar and boot also sent for reinforcements.
The M4's optional carbon-ceramic brakes aren't offered, engineers arguing that the cost, plus the reduced power and weight of the M2 negate the need. Instead, regular M4 brakes are carried over - drilled discs all round, four-piston calipers front, two-piston rear - and you can ask your dealer for track pads; there's no performance increase and they squeak, but the last longer."
(source: here)
      04-25-2018, 03:40 PM   #14
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

From this thread M2 Competition: Questions for the Beijing Auto Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Not speculating or hoping at all. If Frank van Meel lied, it's on him but @MR. mentioned that S55 in the M2C is exactly the same hardware-wise, it received a software tune based on his interview with him (FvM confirmed this). I probably couldn't tag @MR. properly here but I'm sure he can confirm it once again when he sees this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
There was also some conflicting info regarding the suspension. This is what was stated in the EVO article.

Surprisingly spring and damper rates are unchanged – M chief Frank van Meel said he wanted to improve precision without sacrificing comfort. The dampers are passive items, because ‘the car doesn’t need adaptive dampers’, according to van Meel, although cost is also a factor.

I asked about the suspension in this thread to which MR stated the following.

Tag: The EVO article states the following, "...while at the rear the M division has used ball joints in the suspension for greater stiffness and precision." Can you please expand on this?

MR: There is less roll in the vehicle while steering. The base M2 had this quite a lot. The car stays more flat and is more compliant on the road without loosing comfort levels. The package is not as hard as the M2 with M Competition suspension. The suspension is further tuned to enhance the ride quality.

And then there's this article from Autocar UK which falls in line with what MR said.

BMW M division’s head of development, Dirk Häcker, said the chassis revisions provide the new M2 with “significantly improved response and more progressive on-the-limit characteristics” than its predecessor. “We have altered the steering mapping, changed the spring and damper tuning and recalibrated the DSC [Dynamic Stability Control] systems as well.“ said Häcker. “it is still the benchmark in its class in terms of response and reactions, but it now slides with greater progressiveness and enthusiasm.”

I would like us to get further calcification on the suspension as well, but wouldn't go as far as saying FvM lied. At a minimum he either didn't understand or was not fully informed. The takeaway from this is trust the engineers that designed the car over management and/or marketing.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #15
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Watched a video with Frank Meel, he is clueless. Just a figurehead with no deep knowledge on these cars. He is obviously just given bullet points to talk about.

The head of development Dirk Hacker would be a much more reliable source of info. He says the M2 Competition has spring/damper tuning. I would believe him over Meel.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:56 PM   #16
gp_solo2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
5mm lowered ride height
Ball joint suspension
Spring/damper retuning(according to head of development...Dirk Hacker)
5 mm lower ground clearance does not necessarily mean 5mm lower ride height. The lowest part of the car may come lower and knowing there is a different engine it may be just because of the S55 but from the picture the wheel gap seem smaller so there is hope.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #17
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
You can simply pick up a set of 18s in stock width tires if you are unhappy with the ride and it will make a significant difference. My 1M did much better on crappy San Diego roads on 18s. The 19s are just for show, on less than ideal roads the 18s are more go.
Appreciate 3
      04-25-2018, 06:17 PM   #18
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_solo2 View Post
5 mm lower ground clearance does not necessarily mean 5mm lower ride height. The lowest part of the car may come lower and knowing there is a different engine it may be just because of the S55 but from the picture the wheel gap seem smaller so there is hope.
Height remains the same, so it's rather something on the underside of the car hanging lower (read: 'sticking out'). Maybe the lowest point of the 'mud flaps' or deflectors at the front has been taken into account ?

True that also the new exhaust muffler is bigger/chunkier, but I doubt that its lowest point is lower than the lowest point of the 'mud flaps' or deflectors. And the limited slip differential body has in principle still the same size.
      04-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #19
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_solo2 View Post
Posted pics in another thread. Wheels gaps look smaller. Not sure how but it does.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #20
M2_Purist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Posted pics in another thread. Wheels gaps look smaller. Not sure how but it does.
If it's the same ride height but has less ground clearance then maybe it's that massive/saggy muffler?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #21
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
You can simply pick up a set of 18s in stock width tires if you are unhappy with the ride and it will make a significant difference. My 1M did much better on crappy San Diego roads on 18s. The 19s are just for show, on less than ideal roads the 18s are more go.
This is your answer, I agree 1000%, plus less unsprung weight on corners.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 11:21 AM   #22
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
This is your answer, I agree 1000%, plus less unsprung weight on corners.

Do we know if 18s will fit upgraded brakes yet?
Appreciate 0