F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Spotify and Bluetooth issues
GetBMWParts

04-27-2018, 03:41 AM   #1
Jonesy72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M135i

Spotify and Bluetooth issues

As above, the car now won't play my music via Bluetooth or even recognise Spotify. It won't even list my phone in the media box as an available device. I can still make calls and it does everything fine in my wife's mini. Any ideas? It's idrive 6 and a bit poo to be fair
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 06:00 AM   #2
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Ive had no end of problems with Spotify on my car, I had been trying to use via Apple CarPlay, others suggested try Apple Music instead, Apple Music works flawlessly. It's annoying because I prefer Spotify. Might be worth a go to rule out any issues on the car side.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 06:36 AM   #3
James-335dx
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Performance

Could be a software update needed on the car? Every time apple release an update my Bluetooth goes a bit heywire, playing the same track over and over. You can download the latest update via the BMW connect website and pop the USB in the car and do the update yourself. It’s pretty easy to do. Not sure if that’ll solve the problem but worth a try
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2018, 06:59 AM   #4
Norris-wf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f31 335d

I've had this a few times and its really frustrating. Also, sometime it just stay "loading" but never shows. When it doesn't even show in the list of devices, I usually have to go into devices and forget the device completely from iDrive then re-add it. This has always worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 07:33 AM   #5
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James-335dx View Post
Could be a software update needed on the car? Every time apple release an update my Bluetooth goes a bit heywire, playing the same track over and over. You can download the latest update via the BMW connect website and pop the USB in the car and do the update yourself. It’s pretty easy to do. Not sure if that’ll solve the problem but worth a try
I didn't know that,
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
rdabbm
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Plus

i've had no end of issues with Spotify via USB on mine (f31).

Morning seems to be worse for some reason, i'll plug it in then after 10 minutes or so i'll get a 'Only one accessory can be used at at time' message on my iPhone then it'll drop the USB connection entirely until it re-attaches itself.

Bluetooth hasn't skipped a beat but as other have said you can only select apple music albums and playlists from bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 11:11 AM   #7
Pizzaeatingking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VAG

I've not had my car long so still working things out, but from what I can gather, to use Spotify over BT it needs to be open on the phone. Seems to connect quicker if it's open before I get in the car, earlier today I would go to Spotify on the iDrive and it would just show nothing playing, opened the app and come out of it on the iDrive and went back in after a min or so and it worked fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdabbm View Post
i've had no end of issues with Spotify via USB on mine (f31).

Morning seems to be worse for some reason, i'll plug it in then after 10 minutes or so i'll get a 'Only one accessory can be used at at time' message on my iPhone then it'll drop the USB connection entirely until it re-attaches itself.

Bluetooth hasn't skipped a beat but as other have said you can only select apple music albums and playlists from bluetooth.
He has ID6 so it has full apps capabilities over BT, including Spotify
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 02:48 AM   #9
rdabbm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Ah bummer - can this be coded in? Thought mine had it already as i can control apple music albums/playlists etc over BT but spotify i can only go forward or back a track which defeats the whole purpose - due to me having to manhandle the phone to get to an album mid-journey!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 02:58 AM   #10
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ah bummer - can this be coded in? Thought mine had it already as i can control apple music albums/playlists etc over BT but spotify i can only go forward or back a track which defeats the whole purpose - due to me having to manhandle the phone to get to an album mid-journey!
Depends which system you have, probably best to ask vorphlack
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 03:42 AM   #11
rdabbm
Rep

Quote:
Okay thanks! Mines NBT (2015), i'll throw him a PM in a mo.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 03:44 AM   #12
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Okay thanks! Mines NBT (2015), i'll throw him a PM in a mo.
You can't code id6 then, but there may be some other way to achieve what you want.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #13
Jonesy72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M135i

Turns out it's the bloody phone. It's a Sony Xperia. Took it to the dealers and it wouldn't pair with any of their cars, then the BMW genius sync'd his phone in my car and everything worked. Apparently its a known fault with the phone. :-(
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 01:58 PM   #14
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
I had a Samsung and could not operate Spotify on the idrive with full control so I changed my phone to the iPhone 7. Now everything works with a premium family account and the music quality set at extreme. (up to 320 kbit/s) Love it!!!

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 02:46 PM   #15
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsapper View Post
I had a Samsung and could not operate Spotify on the idrive with full control so I changed my phone to the iPhone 7. Now everything works with a premium family account and the music quality set at extreme. (up to 320 kbit/s) Love it!!!

How do you adjust the quality in the idrive Spotify app?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 04:54 AM   #16
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoShambolt View Post
Ive had no end of problems with Spotify on my car, I had been trying to use via Apple CarPlay, others suggested try Apple Music instead, Apple Music works flawlessly. It's annoying because I prefer Spotify. Might be worth a go to rule out any issues on the car side.
I've changed to Apple Music from Spotify as I am fed up with both the BMW integration which is shambolic and the integration with devices at home.

However, I wouldn't saw Apple Music is flawless. When mine reconnects (via Bluetooth) it more often than not forgets the last playlist that I was playing and starts playing another song - I think the first song alphabetically in my overall song list.

Does my head in that no-one can seem to get something so simple right.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 04:56 AM   #17
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Why isn't there an Apple Music app for ID6??

Maybe they want us to use CarPlay? There is no chance I'll ever use CarPlay though as it's utter crap.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 05:18 AM   #18
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
Quote:
I've changed to Apple Music from Spotify as I am fed up with both the BMW integration which is shambolic and the integration with devices at home.

However, I wouldn't saw Apple Music is flawless. When mine reconnects (via Bluetooth) it more often than not forgets the last playlist that I was playing and starts playing another song - I think the first song alphabetically in my overall song list.

Oh right that's strange, mine picks up where it left off when ever I get in, takes about 10-15 seconds after getting in. The annoying thing is mute not turning of when you press play, you have to do both. Not Apple Music related though.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #19
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Make sure iOS is on the latest version, then delete pairings on the idrive and phone and re-pair.
      05-24-2018, 08:37 AM   #20
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Quote:

My ageing iPhone 6 128GB does exactly this also. However, I get the issue with the 100GB ish of music stored locally on my phone.

Coverage is to "spotty"for Spotify or Apple Music to stream effectively in the wilds of Cumbria.

I think my car is one of the early ID5 cars, September 16 registration.
      06-01-2018, 03:50 AM   #21
rdabbm
Rep

Quote:

I've got the same situation. I love spotify (spotify connect is a dream), however my iPhone 8+ seems to really struggle sometimes keeping the connection to the car. Constantly getting "Only one accessory can be used at a time" and then it'll DC my phone. As i can only select albums/playlists over bluetooth on Apple Music, my hand is somewhat forced
Appreciate 0