E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 engine mounts replacing

04-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
Elias_E90
Private
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

N52 engine mounts replacing

Hello,
My car is vibrating at low rpm, i inspected the engine mounts and the one below the headers was slightly cracked. I bought 2 mounts and thought ill change them myself following the pelican guide.

To replace the mounts you have to remove the middle spalsher and 2 splashers on the side, you have to then remove a V shaped bar to access the below bolts of the mount.
I successfully replaced the mount under the headers and i put i heat shield to protect it.

The issue: i was not able to remove the driver s side mount. It gave me hell. I was able to dismantle it ( you have to use a 60 cm extension from above. I got frustrated as it wouldnt physically get out between the firewall and the engine (jacked), i have tried 4 times to jack the engine and make the other mount loose but it wouldnt come out.. so i jacked the engine more and my radiator broke (the plastic pipe from top). I re assembled everything.. turned out the mount was in good condition (drivers side) but pelican recommended replacing both.

I thought i d post about it so no one can have my issue (being stupid and broke my radiator)..

And if any one knows how to get it out please help. It is so tight because of the steering shaft and powersteering box and shafts

Ps the vibrations are gone and i towed my car to shop to replace the radiator
      04-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
Elias_E90
Private
Lebanon
Rep

Maybe i should have removed the side mount but the pelican didnt say so and it was even harder (couldnt see its bolts)
      04-27-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

Sorry to hear about your radiator. I remember slowly watching everything come closer and closer the last time I did motor mounts (E46M3).

Have you loosened the transmission mounts?

You could probably loosen the front subframe bolts to drop the whole subframe down while the motor is suspended from above, which will give you access. Did this with the M3 too.
      04-27-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
Elias_E90
Private
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrexia View Post
Sorry to hear about your radiator. I remember slowly watching everything come closer and closer the last time I did motor mounts (E46M3).

Have you loosened the transmission mounts?

You could probably loosen the front subframe bolts to drop the whole subframe down while the motor is suspended from above, which will give you access. Did this with the M3 too.
No i didn't, i didn't even find a good guide. This is the first time the pelican lets me down. They didnt mention the transmission nor the subframe. I did a bit of reading on other cars and you are right, i found it common practice to unbolt the transmission mount.
Lowering the subframe should work too.. but i didnt do it because pelican didnt say so.

Anyways for the readers out there, it is very recommended to disconnect your radiator, because loosening the transmission mount will lift the engine more and the plastic pipe will be stressed
      04-28-2018, 02:44 AM   #5
Elias_E90
Private
Lebanon
Rep

Went to a shop today and replaced the mount and the radiator. I asked him how he did it, turned out there is a shield metal that protected the fuel lines. It had to be removed (i couldnt remove it yesterday because it had 3 bolts and one of them cannot be seen from below the car so i couldnt dismantle it. He also told me that if it had no clearance i should have loosen the subframe
      04-28-2018, 06:54 PM   #6
maxor
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 BMW 328i

Sorry to hear about your radiator man. Really glad that you got it fixed.

I should be doing my mounts soon as well, what location did you use for your jack point if I may ask?

Also, if you had to change your mounts I would suggest changing your oil pan gaskets as well. They usually go out around the same time. Pretty much the same job.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 07:39 PM   #7
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

When you're jacking the motor from the bottom you should put a piece of wood between your jack and the frontmost part of the oil pan.

You're basically using the trans mounts as a fulcrum, so the ideal position is as far away from there as possible.

However, I think the better way to do it in our cars is to get an engine hoist (I have this one https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-1100lb...ne+hoist&psc=1)

There's a place on the motor you can install a hook, if it doesn't have one (S54, S65 have hooks, N52 doesn't) (see https://www.rmeuropean.com/images/BM...e-Mounts-7.jpg)

Then you can support or even lift the engine with the hoist, lower the subframe, swap your mounts, bingo bongo.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 12:29 AM   #8
Elias_E90
Private
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxor View Post
Sorry to hear about your radiator man. Really glad that you got it fixed.

I should be doing my mounts soon as well, what location did you use for your jack point if I may ask?

Also, if you had to change your mounts I would suggest changing your oil pan gaskets as well. They usually go out around the same time. Pretty much the same job.
My oil pan is not leaking oil so its gasket seemed goo

I jacked the engine from the oil pan using a piece of wood between the pan and the jack, for each mount i moved it as close as possible to the mount i was about to change.

What you can learn from my mistakes is :
- remove the black metal shield that protects the fuel lines when replacing the driver side mount (to give you clearance)
- unbolt the airbox (2 bolts) because under the airbox u find a water pipe coming from top radiator (driver s side) to engine (beneath oil filter housing) when i raised my engine this pipe was stressed and my radiator broke
- you can always diaconnect this line from radiator and be safe
- if you need more clearance loose the subframe a bit while the engine is jacked
- i wish you luck
      05-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #9
mrtigerb
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 330 XI

I was in a similar scenario, and had the same idea about replacing my oil pan gasket, and subframe bushings while i was doing the transmission mounts. Never got around to it because i got rear-ended and totaled the car. But i thought id just leave this here...if anyone was thinking of doing a similar job.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1488936
      05-03-2018, 09:18 PM   #10
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Just get the harbor freight engine brace w/ 20% coupon and drop the subframe. Way easier than you think, and cheaper than a radiator.
Appreciate 2