F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My 340 is having trouble keeping coolant - 430i GC X-Drive Loaner impressions
ARMA SPEED

04-30-2018, 06:09 AM   #1
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

My 340 is having trouble keeping coolant - 430i GC X-Drive Loaner impressions

After 2 years of basically trouble-free driving, my car decided it doesn't like having coolant in it (I haven't seen any evidence of leaks, the coolant is just magically disappearing really quickly) so I dropped her off on Saturday at the dealership and they handed me a 2018 430i GC X-Drive M-Sport as a loaner. I mentioned it in another thread and one user solicited my impressions of the 430. With morning coffee in hand, here we go with a focus on comparing it to my 340.

Note: Other than my partner's TLX, I haven't driven a car with an engine this small in about 18 months (the last one was a 228i loaner). Every car I've driven since has been a potential replacement for the 340 with at least as much advertised power as my current car. I haven't consistently driven an I4-powered car since I turned in my '13 328 in April of 2016.

The 430GC they loaned me has almost no options on it past the M-Sport stuff, but it has PDC, Sport AT, back-up camera, and blind-spot monitoring (though none of the other nannies). This is a well-equipped car out of the gate, it seems.

Driving Impressions:

The B48 is a very solid performer for its size. It does what you ask it to do without much in the way of drama, which counts as a plus and a minus. I get almost zero feeling of speed or acceleration out of it. My "butt dyno" registers almost nothing but speed climbs at a respectable rate. My N26 felt more powerful at times, but it also felt more gutless here and there. The B48 delivers solid performance pretty much constantly. The drawback is the car's weight. Like a few N26-powered 528's I drove when I had my 328, I do feel like the weight of the GC is at the top of the acceptable range for this engine. Any heavier of a car and it would feel entirely under-powered.

The nose is light with the little engine in it, and the car is almost nimble despite the high curb weight of the GC. However, I think this has more to do with the absolutely terrible Pirreli RFT A/S tires than the engine weight. These are hands down the worst tires I've driven on in years. The car has 850 miles on it, so they should be mostly broken in. They feel harsh, loud, and traction is flat out crap. If any one buys a 3 or 4 with these things, get rid of them immediately. When the car feels nimble, I think it's just not holding the road well. I complained a bit in another thread about my Michellin A/S3+'s that I use for the winter months and I totally take that back. If you lease a car with these things and want to run A/S's, take 'em off and store them for the end of your lease.

The suspension is the base X-Drive suspension. While I think it is improved over what I had in my 328 (I think...maybe I just didn't know any better back then), I really don't have anything to add here that hasn't been said a million times. I miss the Adaptive on my car every time I turn a corner or go over a bump. Every time. It's still not good. Base suspension plus Pirelli RFT's equals a big ball of yick.

The GC form-factor vs. a standard sedan build is an interesting comparison. The car, from the driver's seat, feels a bit smaller because the roof is lower. I don't think I need to say anything about the reduced headroom in the rear other than that it would be a negative if I was looking to buy one. The hatchback is great for a trip to Costco (which my partner and I did on Saturday after picking up the car). We were amused and surprised that the lift-gate closes via comfort access with the wave-foot-under-bumper dance. We asked the guy at the dealership if it did that and he said it didn't. We both really like the cargo area. This would be a huge plus if rear visibility from the driver's seat wasn't so massively compromised. I feel like I'm looking out the back of a convertible with how small the visible portion of the rear window is from the driver's seat. One huge plus is that I think this is a more handsome car than my 340. The lower roof really does make the car look quite nice and less boxy. Can't have that without the negatives, I guess.

So do I like it? Not enough. This car's MSRP is 8k less than my 340's, and about 9k less than an equivalent specs out today. That's a significant amount of money but if I needed to go down 8k in my next purchase or lease, this isn't how I would do it. I wouldn't criticize anyone for doing it, though. It is a lot of car and it looks fantastic. Just, please, ditch the tires if you got the Pirelli's. I don't think they're safe.

Would I buy the GC at all? Maybe. The rear visibility is a huge negative but I love the cargo area and the looks. However, if I was going for looks it would be a standard 4, not a GC, I think.

Last thoughts on the B48: I would buy a 2-series with one, but I'd rather not go with anything heavier than that. The B48 would be TONS of fun with a manual and a car that weighs 3000 lbs or less. Too bad no such animal exists. Can you imagine this thing in a Miata or magically dropped into an e36? Woot.
Appreciate 2
wrickem2101.00
bkdore103.00
      04-30-2018, 07:05 AM   #2
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
The rear visibility is a huge negative but I love the cargo area and the looks.
Good review.
Rear visibility? You know that most people drive forwards 99,9% of the time, right...?
With all those rear-view cameras, surround view, etc. and the sexy look of a Coupe... Not a factor if you ask me. Have a look at the visibility (forwards and rearwards!) from a 6-Series Gran Coupe and you will find the 4 Series to be an observation station

As you have mentioned - it is the shape of a Coupe that makes the car so special and sexy. Despite it being based on a 3-Series, to me a totally different car.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 04-30-2018 at 07:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Except this car doesn't have surround cameras, just the back-up camera. Speaking of that, I forgot to add this: Where the heck are the grid lines on the backup camera? My car has them with just Backup and PDC but this one doesn't. Weird. I like the pretty lines.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 10:51 AM   #4
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Should be there. Did you look for the option that enables them from the menu?

The side view cameras and the surround view are on the 2 extremes of the usefulness scale to me.
While the side view cameras have been completely useless so far (haven't used them once, curious when the first occasion will come around), the surround view is extremely helpful.

When it comes to the comparison, some information from my experience - I did it in the opposite direction when I was researching for a car. Test-drove a 4 Series (428i) first and found it to be very pleasing (despite actually being an Audi-guy). What disappointed me at the time was the mismatch between engine performance (which was quite ok, but nothing causing a WOW-effect) and the over-boosted engine sound in Sport mode. Later, I googled and learned for the first time what ASD is and was genuinely disgusted by BMW

Later on I tested a 3-Series (340i) and while I found the engine absolutely fantastic, the chassis was (in comparison to the 4 Series) an absolute no-go. Standard, boxy, unpractical (trunk), tight (or at least left that impression).

When I learned how similar the 2 models were on paper (dimensions, interior, etc.), I could not believe it.
So similar, but actually so different.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 04-30-2018 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Yes, I looked for an option to enable them and didn't see it. I certainly may have missed it, though.

Random add on comment #2: Hifi audio on the loaner car. Gods. I'd forgotten just how awful it is.

They haven't found an issue with the coolant system, so far, so this may be just the magic B58 disappearing coolant. Sigh. They are bleeding the system and being thorough, so no complaints. On the plus side, they are getting my 2 year service done today instead of having to go in again next Friday when I'd had it scheduled. Also having an alignment done (the car is two years old, it was due).
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 01:42 PM   #6
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Yes, I looked for an option to enable them and didn't see it. I certainly may have missed it, though.
Not sure if it's changed since my iDrive is pretty old, but for me the guideline option only comes up with the car in reverse and the rearview camera displayed.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #7
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Yep, that's the way it is on my '16. The camera resolution on the '18 loaner is improved, but no happy little lines.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #8
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Also having an alignment done (the car is two years old, it was due).
Alignment!?

Apart from that - I was just going to ask about your 340i. Strange... how much was it losing? If it was "enough" - it must be noticeable when put under pressure! Hopefully it is not burning it.

P.s. I do have the guidelines on mine, so they must be there
      04-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #9
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Alignment. Pot holes are mean and it needs to be done every once in a while. On the plus side, none of my wheels are bent.

It was enough that I have a picture of the main tank with it well below the minimum line. If it happens again, the dealership and I will be having a serious discussion, but they are putting a good deal of time into looking for a problem today, so I'll go with it. The service I've received on this go-around has, so far, redeemed this particular dealership in my eyes following a bad experience 18 months ago. They got me into a loaner late on a Saturday morning and looked at the car first thing Monday. Can't get better than that. The folk involved with that incident no longer work at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #10
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Nothing better than a dealership one can trust!
Those do not grow on trees unfortunately...

My Audi goes from max to min of coolant at least once throughout the cold season. Cause - unknown. Very little consumption during the summer. I learned to live with it... But still annoying.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 05:27 AM   #11
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

I did find the grid lines before I turned the loaner in. Glad to be back in my car and hopeful that I don't have a low coolant alarm on cold start this morning.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 06:15 AM   #12
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

As for the alignment that one person questioned, toe alignment was off on my rear right wheel. I don't recall that wheel taking any serious pot hole hits, but it was off. I thought something wasn't quite perfect over the last couple of months and I was correct. The car tracks and drives much better following the adjustment. I get the impression, from people and forum posts, that most don't have their alignment checked regularly. It is something that should be checked periodically. Based on what I was charged, it might be best to have it adjusted somewhere other than the dealership, though (I deeply didn't have time to deal with it elsewhere, so I'm OK with what I paid).
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 08:27 AM   #13
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

No pot holes here... that's why it took me time to realise what adjustment you may be referring to
Good to be done, but at least in most of Europe - once every 7-10 years is probably right (unless there has been an occurrence).
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 07:29 AM   #14
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Just an FYI, the coolant loss is a common thing.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1324221
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1343545
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #15
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Yep, aware of it, just hadn't been the victim of it in 18 months. I wasn't surprised that it happened, just got it into the dealer and had them deal with it.
Appreciate 1
kern4174449.50
      05-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #16
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Yep, that's the way it is on my '16. The camera resolution on the '18 loaner is improved, but no happy little lines.
You have to turn them on. I do not like them, so I turn mine off.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0