F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Detailing advice
ARMA SPEED

05-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #1
L9JVV
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D M Sport xDrive

So I've just had my car professionally detailed, when I say professionally I mean machine polish etc by a guy who does it full time.

I think he's done a great job and he noticed things that I wouldn't have. Like the fact that the left rear quarter had been resprayed which is something the BMW dealer never told me but I found it interesting how we could tell. Also a scuff on the right bumper which I've never noticed before which he goes on to say looks as if someone has tried to polish it to cover it up.

After all his hard work and my hard earned cashed I want to maintain it. Since I've got the car back I've noticed so many stone chips which is understandable from a 3 year old car, some have been touched up by the dealer and some are new and a few scratches here and there.

Now for my questions.
I'm a bit of a newbie to detailing but I know the 2 bucket method, a bit about claying and waxing/polishing. And I know not to do circular motions.
  • Should I get a machine polish or is that too complicated/potentially damaging for a newbie?
  • Does anyone recommend any products? or any must use products that make it easier?
  • What's the best way to maintain a full machine polish detail?
  • Is it easy to apply ceramic coatings?
  • I didn't get the inside done as I'm picky about that, are there any must use products/methods to do the inside?

Think that's all at the moment, also my car is black if that helps.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
a803sgo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M-SPORT (F30)

1. Get a dual action, easier for newbies.
2. I use megs 105 and 205 for defect correction, Sonax and Aqua Wax weekly.
3. Get it nano'd to lock in the protection
4. Yes
5. A hoover and some OCD, Invisible Glass and a damp MF is all I use.

Mine's also black and whenever anyone sits in it after my weekly wash and hoover they say its like its just come out the showroom, its 3 years old.

Above all enjoy it or it will soon become a chore.

Last edited by a803sgo; 05-02-2018 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
goodbyalfa1059.00
      05-03-2018, 12:16 AM   #3
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

if its just been professionally detailed, the forget about the polisher for the time being.

focus on keeping it that way. top of list would be a jet wash for me.

you dont say what he finished the car off with - wax or nano technology?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 02:36 AM   #4
Bigyin1314
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 435d

As said previously a dual action is idiot proof, if you watch junkman2000 vids on YouTube, he provides fantastic advice on all aspects of detailing, with a very good segment on using a dual action.

That being said, if it’s been machine polished and you maintain strict wash procedures, you shouldn’t need to polish again for a good while.

I personally prefer a wax to a ceramic (mainly because I like waxing my cars) and certain waxes offer very impressive longevity.

2 bucket method and a pressure washer are important. Also I use separate mitts for different parts of the car, so upper panels for one mitt, lowers and bumpers for another mitt and wheels gets its own. Also, wash in straight lines not circular motion, most swirls are brought upon with poor wash technique. Pat dry the car and use a drying aid (I use valet pro citrus bling diluted 50:50) which also gives a great shine and a little extra coat of protection.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 03:33 AM   #5
Craig-SM
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport - F30

I wouldn't bother with the polisher if you have had your car detailed already. Pressure washer and snow foam lance to remove as much dirt as you can before you go near the car with buckets and mitts. Two or three buckets so you have one for the shampoo and at least one for rinsing the mitt. Third bucket means you have clean water ready if the rinse water gets too dirty.
Plenty of microfibre cloths, keep colours separated for different uses so that you are using different cloths for cleaning interior, exterior, windows etc. Brushes for wheels. As Bigyin said try to use different mitts for different areas of the car. The closer to the ground the more grubby the car gets and this will be picked up by the mitt, even with rinsing some will stay on the mitt which you don't want to transfer up the car where swirl marks become more evident.
As for the products it's a personal thing and everyone has their favourites. I've been a fan of AutoGlym, Meguiares, Auto Finesse and now Bilt Hamber. They're not cheap so just buy what you need for the moment.
The protection after the car has been polished is the key. It makes cleaning the car much quicker as it's harder for the dirt to adhere. Speak to the detailer on what products he used and what you should buy to maintain it. If the wheels haven't been sealed then I recommend you have them done, which not only makes cleaning easier but also helps protect against corrosion.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 03:38 AM   #6
Craig-SM
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport - F30

My car is Sapphire Black and it looks fantastic when just cleaned but has to be the worse colour too keeping clean. If you're a bit OCD then buy your products in bulk as you'll be cleaning it a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 02:42 AM   #7
L9JVV
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a803sgo View Post
1. Get a dual action, easier for newbies.
2. I use megs 105 and 205 for defect correction, Sonax and Aqua Wax weekly.
3. Get it nano'd to lock in the protection
4. Yes
5. A hoover and some OCD, Invisible Glass and a damp MF is all I use.

Mine's also black and whenever anyone sits in it after my weekly wash and hoover they say its like its just come out the showroom, its 3 years old.

Above all enjoy it or it will soon become a chore.
Thanks for all the tips.

I agree once cleaned it looks brand new again until you drive it for a day
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 02:43 AM   #8
L9JVV
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
if its just been professionally detailed, the forget about the polisher for the time being.

focus on keeping it that way. top of list would be a jet wash for me.

you dont say what he finished the car off with - wax or nano technology?
Okay thanks! I need to get s snow foam adapter.

Not sure what nano tech is? when I collected it he said whatever he applied will have around 1 year protection
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 02:44 AM   #9
L9JVV
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyin1314 View Post
As said previously a dual action is idiot proof, if you watch junkman2000 vids on YouTube, he provides fantastic advice on all aspects of detailing, with a very good segment on using a dual action.

That being said, if it’s been machine polished and you maintain strict wash procedures, you shouldn’t need to polish again for a good while.

I personally prefer a wax to a ceramic (mainly because I like waxing my cars) and certain waxes offer very impressive longevity.

2 bucket method and a pressure washer are important. Also I use separate mitts for different parts of the car, so upper panels for one mitt, lowers and bumpers for another mitt and wheels gets its own. Also, wash in straight lines not circular motion, most swirls are brought upon with poor wash technique. Pat dry the car and use a drying aid (I use valet pro citrus bling diluted 50:50) which also gives a great shine and a little extra coat of protection.
Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to go out and get a few extra mitts.

What's the best way to clean the mitts and microfibre clothes after?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 02:47 AM   #10
Bigyin1314
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 435d

Non bio washing liquid then tumble dry. You y do get specific washing powder but anything non bio will do fine. Also, I forgot to mention, 2 bucket method is a must but having a grit guard in both also makes a significant difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 02:48 AM   #11
L9JVV
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig-SM View Post
I wouldn't bother with the polisher if you have had your car detailed already. Pressure washer and snow foam lance to remove as much dirt as you can before you go near the car with buckets and mitts. Two or three buckets so you have one for the shampoo and at least one for rinsing the mitt. Third bucket means you have clean water ready if the rinse water gets too dirty.
Plenty of microfibre cloths, keep colours separated for different uses so that you are using different cloths for cleaning interior, exterior, windows etc. Brushes for wheels. As Bigyin said try to use different mitts for different areas of the car. The closer to the ground the more grubby the car gets and this will be picked up by the mitt, even with rinsing some will stay on the mitt which you don't want to transfer up the car where swirl marks become more evident.
As for the products it's a personal thing and everyone has their favourites. I've been a fan of AutoGlym, Meguiares, Auto Finesse and now Bilt Hamber. They're not cheap so just buy what you need for the moment.
The protection after the car has been polished is the key. It makes cleaning the car much quicker as it's harder for the dirt to adhere. Speak to the detailer on what products he used and what you should buy to maintain it. If the wheels haven't been sealed then I recommend you have them done, which not only makes cleaning easier but also helps protect against corrosion.
Cheers for the detailed tips. I'll get in touch with the detailer and see what products he used
Appreciate 0