F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M Sport Discs
ARMA SPEED

05-03-2018, 04:57 AM   #1
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

M Sport Discs

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to change the standard 370mm discs for the M performance slotted and dimpled type.

I had a good look around but couldn't bear to part with the £400+ price from the dealers and in the end bought Textar OE discs, having fitted them with new Pagid pads they are fantastic now bedded in.

I purchased them here... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-O...53.m2749.l2649

Service and delivery was excellent ordered Friday arrived Monday. They are 2 piece coated discs so that helps prevent corrosion and rust. At £256 was a good saving.

Hope it helps
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #2
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Thanks for sharing.

Have you noticed an increase in noise under braking from the slots in the rotor face?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 02:45 AM   #3
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Have you noticed an increase in noise under braking from the slots in the rotor face?
Under normal braking no but hard braking yes, you do have an increase in noise, but I'm OK with that. I suspect that after a couple of hundred miles it will be less noticeable as they will have bedded in properly.

I find that this type of disc helps increase the braking efficiency, with dispersing heat & also water when its chucking it down. Brake fade in normal road situations is due to the build up of gas between the pad and the disc, the dimples and grooves help disperse this for a more consistent pedal feel.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 02:53 AM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Under normal braking no but hard braking yes, you do have an increase in noise, but I'm OK with that. I suspect that after a couple of hundred miles it will be less noticeable as they will have bedded in properly.

I find that this type of disc helps increase the braking efficiency, with dispersing heat & also water when its chucking it down. Brake fade in normal road situations is due to the build up of gas between the pad and the disc, the dimples and grooves help disperse this for a more consistent pedal feel.
More like a few thousand miles in my experience.

Modern brake pads don't actually expel gas under braking.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 03:05 AM   #5
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
More like a few thousand miles in my experience.

Modern brake pads don't actually expel gas under braking.
Learn something new every day!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 03:11 AM   #6
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Well this is intersting....... as i thought.. from Brembo direct

http://www.brembo.com/en/company/new...for-purchasing

4) Better heat and gas dispersion

​On a standard disc, a sequence of decisive braking manoeuvres in a short period of time translates into a temperature increase. The combustion of the resins that make up the pads, in turn generates gases (fading) that act as a bearing between pad and disc, decreasing the efficiency of the braking system.

On a Brembo Xtra disc, on the other hand, the holes allow for quick expulsion of these gases, keeping the friction coefficient unaltered. The holes also help heat from the braking system dissipate more efficiently, even in normal driving conditions.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Well this is intersting....... as i thought.. from Brembo direct

http://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/brembo-perforated-disc-5-reasons-for-purchasing

4) Better heat and gas dispersion

​On a standard disc, a sequence of decisive braking manoeuvres in a short period of time translates into a temperature increase. The combustion of the resins that make up the pads, in turn generates gases (fading) that act as a bearing between pad and disc, decreasing the efficiency of the braking system.

On a Brembo Xtra disc, on the other hand, the holes allow for quick expulsion of these gases, keeping the friction coefficient unaltered. The holes also help heat from the braking system dissipate more efficiently, even in normal driving conditions.
That's just marketing hype, I've looked into this lots over the years. The grooves to help to decrease pad glazing & reduce heat in the disc though.

Hence if you look at any race car they have grooved discs but not drilled or dimpled.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 05:42 PM   #8
Manivxr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d EB

Quote:
Just a heads up for anyone wanting to change the standard 370mm discs for the M performance slotted and dimpled type.

I had a good look around but couldn't bear to part with the £400+ price from the dealers and in the end bought Textar OE discs, having fitted them with new Pagid pads they are fantastic now bedded in.

I purchased them here... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-O...53.m2749.l2649

Service and delivery was excellent ordered Friday arrived Monday. They are 2 piece coated discs so that helps prevent corrosion and rust. At £256 was a good saving.

Hope it helps
Are you running 345mm on back. Same make?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 09:01 AM   #9
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manivxr View Post
Are you running 345mm on back. Same make?
No Just the standard OE at the rear
Appreciate 0