BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M40i

I can't decide what colour for M40i...

My order is in but the build is months off and I therefore have too much time to second-guess my choices...
Currently my order is for Phytonic Blue with Fiona Red/Black interior, simply because I like each of those the most of the options. But now I wonder if they would go together, or clash and look too blingy for a fat, middle-aged bloke to be seen getting out of.
Given that I will definitely stick with Fiona Red, any thoughts on combining it with the blue? Anyone else have that combination (not possible in the US I know)? My alternative is pairing it with Sophisto Grey (Graphite) which would definitely avoid a colour clash but is that grey nice in the flesh?
Also, I have seen recent photos of Carbon Black, which I had discounted as being simply black (I have had too many black cars) but I see that it seems to have hints of blue in it. Is this true? How is it different to Black Sapphire?
I know colour is totally subjective but any thoughts on whether I am either getting a spectacular colour combo or making a terrible mistake?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #2
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Those bold blue on red Superman colors wouldn't be for me because I think the bold on bold colors clash. This should give you an idea:

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #3
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
I don't like that combination as well. I saw the grey and carbon black in person and like them both. maybe the grey can be better in the way that it could look clean longer. and yes, that CB have some blue in it.
      05-03-2018, 05:03 PM   #4
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks both. I am inclined to agree. And the more I look at examples of the CB the more I am leaning that way. I like that in certain light it appears dark blue, not pure black.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 07:23 PM   #5
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
My order is in but the build is months off and I therefore have too much time to second-guess my choices...
Currently my order is for Phytonic Blue with Fiona Red/Black interior, simply because I like each of those the most of the options. But now I wonder if they would go together, or clash and look too blingy for a fat, middle-aged bloke to be seen getting out of.
Given that I will definitely stick with Fiona Red, any thoughts on combining it with the blue? Anyone else have that combination (not possible in the US I know)? My alternative is pairing it with Sophisto Grey (Graphite) which would definitely avoid a colour clash but is that grey nice in the flesh?
Also, I have seen recent photos of Carbon Black, which I had discounted as being simply black (I have had too many black cars) but I see that it seems to have hints of blue in it. Is this true? How is it different to Black Sapphire?
I know colour is totally subjective but any thoughts on whether I am either getting a spectacular colour combo or making a terrible mistake?
In my opinion phytonic blue and fionna red don’t work well together, referred to as the superman theme by many owners, it is something that you really have to like to buy. Especially since fionna red also has black contrast bolsters, that added to blue would be too many colors. I own carbon black and it is beautiful, the name is somewhat of a lie as in certain lighting it shines with a slight dark blue tone and honestly looks great. That or either black sapphire would look really good with the red leather.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 07:50 PM   #6
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
The red interior looks so nice...I'd go with the red.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #7
OzBMW84
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport Limited Edition

I personally also think Phytonic and Fiona clash too much. But you do see more and more blue/red combinations on the road as people are becoming a lot more accepting of 'unusual' combinations.

And judging from this forum, there's just way too many Phytonic X3 M40i's.

I've got a Sophisto Grey/Fiona Red M40i arriving at the end of the month. I think it strikes a nice balance. I do love black but absolutely do not have the time nor the care factor to actually maintain a black car anymore.

My perfect combination would have been Mineral White/Fiona Red, however for some unknown to mankind reason BMW continues to prevent you from getting Mineral White with M-sports packs.
Appreciate 1
sinbad4782.50
      05-03-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

graphite is a very nice color of all the greys and looks good with Fiona red, CB is a nice color on smaller cars, on trucks it loses a bit of it's value IMO only.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 09:59 PM   #9
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
I like the Sophisto Gray w/ the red interior. Wish we could get that combo in the US.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 02:44 AM   #10
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep

Further research shows that the black is hard work to keep clean and looking its best. I'm not one who spends much time on washing and detailing cars so I guess I should go for the lower-maintenance Sophisto. Looking forward to seeing pics of OzBMW84's car when it arrives!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 05:26 AM   #11
Myk-D
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i & Honda CRV Sport

Having had a red interior in my previous two BMWs (one was grey the other red on the outside) I was going to go down the Fiona route this time too, but it was pushing me towards having a white exterior (I didn't want black, and I wanted a change from another grey). I discounted Carbon Black but actually it's a really nice, deep blue in strong light. Can't imagine it's easy to keep clean but it's a lovely colour.

Honestly, I wouldn't consider Phytonic with Fiona - it would be a bit too much. I ended up with Phytonic with Cognac interior, which works really well. Keeps the interior nice and bright, which is why I never spec black leather.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #12
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep

Not sure if heatsoak is important to you, but here in Texas, it's a big factor. So much so that I took an infrared temp gun to the dealer and got some ambient temps off of the roofs before I made my order.

Carbon Black 153° F
Graphite 153° F
Glacier Silver Metallic 114° F

I imagine that Alpine White would be as cool as Glacier Silver, and Phytonic Blue would be closer to the temps of the greys and blacks.

That's nearly a 40° F difference. Wondering how much of that heat actually transfers into the cabin? I'm sure it's substantial.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 04:26 PM   #13
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1980mac View Post
Not sure if heatsoak is important to you, but here in Texas, it's a big factor. So much so that I took an infrared temp gun to the dealer and got some ambient temps off of the roofs before I made my order.

Carbon Black 153° F
Graphite 153° F
Glacier Silver Metallic 114° F

I imagine that Alpine White would be as cool as Glacier Silver, and Phytonic Blue would be closer to the temps of the greys and blacks.

That's nearly a 40° F difference. Wondering how much of that heat actually transfers into the cabin? I'm sure it's substantial.
That is really interesting information, I didn't know there was such variation. However, given the slight difference between Texas and UK weather, I would welcome some extra heatsoak!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 05:11 PM   #14
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 Porsche Macan S

Carbon black is like a deep midnight blue. definitely not just plain black.
'18 X3 M40i Carbon Black/Cognac
'15 X5 xDrive 30i M Sport Space Gray/Mocha
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 05:20 PM   #15
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
Carbon black is like a deep midnight blue. definitely not just plain black.
Yes and I really like it and would get it except for the reports that it is rather high maintenance. That is the sole reason.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #16
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes and I really like it and would get it except for the reports that it is rather high maintenance. That is the sole reason.
You mean because of paint chipping, fading, etc?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 07:46 PM   #17
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is really interesting information, I didn't know there was such variation. However, given the slight difference between Texas and UK weather, I would welcome some extra heatsoak!
Yes, it's interesting. I didn't think it was this big of a difference. Also, it was only 70° F out. Couldn't imagine if it were over 100°.

I also came across another article about dark vs light exterior colors, Darker vehicles have to work sometimes over 2% harder and are less efficient than lighter cars. They also don't last as long.

I LOVE the Graphite, but I can't take the 40° increase. This would fare well in the UK!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 03:32 AM   #18
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1980mac View Post
You mean because of paint chipping, fading, etc?
No, more the effort of keeping it looking really nice, washing regularly and properly, avoiding swirls etc. I have neither the time nor energy for this so I think graphite will be a little more practical for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 03:50 AM   #19
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30d M Sport

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
CB Blueness and upkeep

EDIT: added a third photo better showing the blue tinge.

Sort of more of the same from my other photo post, but on the subject of CB in terms of the 'blue' tint and upkeep, I just washed mine for the first time today and took some new shots. I didn't put too much effort into it, 20 mins and I was done with a MF mitten.

I'm pretty happy with the CB because I was a bit obsessed with it since being loaned a 740 in similar black 18 months ago, and glad it cleans up good.
Attached Images

Last edited by nxa; 05-06-2018 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: Added a more 'blue' photo
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 06:08 AM   #20
MDBimmerGuy
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i Carbon Blk/Oyster

Another vote for CB, but I’m totally biased because that’s what i like. My colleague who saw my new X3 in CB, and owns an x5 in sapphire black, looked at it from a bit of a distance and asked “Is it blue or black” and I said “Exactly!” , when seen in person in decent light there is no doubt it’s a very dark blue but at night it looks black, and yes it’s crazy tree pollen season here in Maryland so it’s easily showing the pollen (as would black or any dark color) so need to keep it clean but it’s worth it to me, I love the color, once I saw it in person on an x5 in the lot I was sold. This photo is the bluest I have I think it shows it pretty well (I had to crop it down to get it to fit).
Attached Images

Last edited by MDBimmerGuy; 05-05-2018 at 06:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 09:08 AM   #21
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep

Argh, all these lovely photos have made me change my mind again! I will get CB then worry about keeping it clean afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #22
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, more the effort of keeping it looking really nice, washing regularly and properly, avoiding swirls etc. I have neither the time nor energy for this so I think graphite will be a little more practical for me.
Ah, yes, makes sense. Graphite is really sharp on these.
Appreciate 0