F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Noise over 40MPH - Need some insight
Extreme Powerhouse

05-04-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
akf30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' 328i; 14' 335i xDrive

Noise over 40MPH - Need some insight

Vehicle Details

2014 335i xdrive - M sport package - 20k miles

Hi everyone,

Just purchased this car a little over a month ago it had 17.5k miles on it when I bought, but over the last month or so did a good amount of miles on it just for fun but have recently slowed down, I usually only do like 750 miles a month.

Anyway, over the last week or so I have noticed that over 40 mph no matter which mode I am in, Eco/Comfort/Sport/Sport+, there is like a some sort of thump/wobble/vibration can't really describe it to be honest. But under 40 MPH it doesn't happen. The noise only occurs in the front and more so near the front passenger area but I can feel it in the drivers side. No vibration in the wheel. My wife who is usually my passenger is the first to notice it and says that she can feel her leg vibrate over 40 MPH. Now that front passenger tire has a few bubbles formed on it I am assuming from some of the lovely potholes here in MASSACHUSETTS, impossible to avoid every single one. I linked a photo of an example, the photo is not mine but my tire has similiar bubbles like that, I would say 3-5.

Any help would be great, I purchased the tire/wheel warranty when I got the car and am trying to see if it will cover tires with bubbles in it. But curious to see if this is the issue or is there something else wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90bs View Post
Vehicle Details

2014 335i xdrive - M sport package - 20k miles

Hi everyone,

Just purchased this car a little over a month ago it had 17.5k miles on it when I bought, but over the last month or so did a good amount of miles on it just for fun but have recently slowed down, I usually only do like 750 miles a month.

Anyway, over the last week or so I have noticed that over 40 mph no matter which mode I am in, Eco/Comfort/Sport/Sport+, there is like a some sort of thump/wobble/vibration can't really describe it to be honest. But under 40 MPH it doesn't happen. The noise only occurs in the front and more so near the front passenger area but I can feel it in the drivers side. No vibration in the wheel. My wife who is usually my passenger is the first to notice it and says that she can feel her leg vibrate over 40 MPH. Now that front passenger tire has a few bubbles formed on it I am assuming from some of the lovely potholes here in MASSACHUSETTS, impossible to avoid every single one. I linked a photo of an example, the photo is not mine but my tire has similiar bubbles like that, I would say 3-5.

Any help would be great, I purchased the tire/wheel warranty when I got the car and am trying to see if it will cover tires with bubbles in it. But curious to see if this is the issue or is there something else wrong.

Thanks in advance.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I don't think tire bubbles would cause this. Does the issue get better at high speeds? If so it's probably a wheel balancing issue. If not, I'm out of ideas.
      05-04-2018, 05:31 PM   #3
lacrimarum
Private First Class
Russia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 320xi lci

Well, it is possible, although very unlikely, that this is caused by driveshaft. But tires and rims are still number one in checklist.
In my experience, if a tire and/or rim is slighty damaged or not balanced properly, the vibration caused by this issue is the most distinct between 45 and 70 MPH.
If roads in your area are in unsatisfactory condition (and you bet they are in mine), I'd recommend to consider getting smaller, preferrably forged, wheels. I'm planning to switch to 17s or even 16s when current set of tires will be worn, as 18" 400m wheels don't stand any chance against our B-roads.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
akf30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrimarum View Post
Well, it is possible, although very unlikely, that this is caused by driveshaft. But tires and rims are still number one in checklist.
In my experience, if a tire and/or rim is slighty damaged or not balanced properly, the vibration caused by this issue is the most distinct between 45 and 70 MPH.
If roads in your area are in unsatisfactory condition (and you bet they are in mine), I'd recommend to consider getting smaller, preferrably forged, wheels. I'm planning to switch to 17s or even 16s when current set of tires will be worn, as 18" 400m wheels don't stand any chance against our B-roads.
I have the 19 inch 403 m wheels, I live in Boston and the roads are pretty trash. I didn't think it would be the driveshaft because it only after 40mph have not been able to get past 60 as I don't do much highway driving but will try later tonight when traffic dies. But between the 40-60 I feel the noise, it's not crazy noticeable you have to really turn off the radio and climate and windows all rolled up, and then pay attention. I figured it would be because of a bad tire/wheel as I did hit a few potholes not so hard but on that tire.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Possibly delay from the steel belts. Why risk it. Replace the tire regardless if the cover it or not. Good tires are needed for performance and safety...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #6
akf30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Possibly delay from the steel belts. Why risk it. Replace the tire regardless if the cover it or not. Good tires are needed for performance and safety...
Probably a stupid question,but delay from steel belts?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Definitely replace the tire regardless, it's not safe to drive for too long on a tire with bubbles.
      05-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #8
akf30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It appears to make it even at speeds up to 80 mph.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 11:00 PM   #9
Sam!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi Touring

Have you checked the inside wall of the tire? A lot of people only check what they can see, I'm willing to bet the inside facing wall of the tire is in worse shape. And yep, these things can definitely cause the vibration as you lost the structural integrity on that part of the tire. Change it out before it blows.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 12:41 AM   #10
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Replace the tire. If that bubble it was caused by hitting an object you may have a bent rim.

I would replace the tire, checks rim round, new alignment
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 03:53 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90bs View Post
....Anyway, over the last week or so I have noticed that over 40 mph no matter which mode I am in, Eco/Comfort/Sport/Sport+, there is like a some sort of thump/wobble/vibration can't really describe it to be honest. But under 40 MPH it doesn't happen. The noise only occurs in the front and more so near the front passenger area but I can feel it in the drivers side. No vibration in the wheel. My wife who is usually my passenger is the first to notice it and says that she can feel her leg vibrate over 40 MPH. Now that front passenger tire has a few bubbles formed on it I am assuming from some of the lovely potholes here in MASSACHUSETTS, impossible to avoid every single one. I linked a photo of an example, the photo is not mine but my tire has similiar bubbles like that, I would say 3-5.

Thanks in advance.
You have to start with the tire. You state it is the tire/wheel position where the vibration is felt most. You say "a few bubbles", the tire is compromised. The wheel may still be in a good enough balance for vibrations not to come through the steering, but it isn't rolling smoothly anymore, generates a different vibration.
Appreciate 0