F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Muffler vs Resonator
proTUNING Freaks

05-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
Ristau
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 540i XDrive

Muffler vs Resonator

Been perusing the forums for a while, and this topic has crossed my mind (as well as my search bar) quite a few times. I want to do something to my exhaust (already have catless DP) this summer, but I can't decide what.

In your opinion, are muffler mods (including deletes AND axle back replacements) more tasteful than resonator mods (deletes and mid-pipe replacement)? Comparing sound clips from youtube doesn't really do much for me.

And like I said, I've scoured the forum on different threads discussing it, but I would like a (new and updated) dedicated forum for people to discuss/post their opinions on it (and maybe some videos if people have some higher quality videos that really showcase differences).

Thanks!

Edit: Also my intent is to be informational, providing actual comparisons and contrasts. NOT for people to fight about what's stupid and what's not etc. If you don't like something, so be it but you don't need to be a prick to someone else that has a different opinion

Last edited by Ristau; 05-07-2018 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 10:58 PM   #2
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

I installed dual aFe Power Mach Force-Xp mufflers with my resonator in place and cat<dp but it was pretty quiet still so I replaced my resonator with a straight pipe with the plan to re-install the resonator if it was too loud but it was perfect with pops on downshift and burbles on upshift. I think some people wouldn't like the drone that I get when cruising on the highway in 7th gear (in 8th I can't hear it) but I actually like to hear my car so it's good for me.

I thought about modding the stock muffler but I'm really happy with what i have now.
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #3
KTDCV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I started with a resonator delete and figured that wasnt enough and eventually got a muffler delete as well.

Cold starts after sitting an entire evening are pretty loud but it starts to settle down in a few minutes. Drone is not bad at all, very minor especially if you listen to music. Driving on the freeway in comfort you can rarely hear it unless you step on it but in sport you can definitely hear the exhaust.

If you peep my car's IG i have a video from a year ago with just the resonator delete and a video from last month with resonator x muffler delete.

my IG is @F30Kris
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #4
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

There are alot of people who run resonator delete paired with catless and the majority consensus iv gotten is that there is too much drone.

I run catless with mpe axelback w/jb4 and its a perfect blendof nice and tame on idle/cruise and really opens up with a nice deep throaty sound on WOT.

i would say that the resonator is there for drone and the downpipe and axelback will make the biggest difference in sound.

I would pair your catless with an axelback. Alot of people say they like mpe and remus paired with catless,

iv read awe is great as well but it may be a bit too loud for certain people.
      05-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoon_209 View Post
There are alot of people who run resonator delete paired with catless and the majority consensus iv gotten is that there is too much drone.

I run catless with mpe axelback w/jb4 and its a perfect blendof nice and tame on idle/cruise and really opens up with a nice deep throaty sound on WOT.

i would say that the resonator is there for drone and the downpipe and axelback will make the biggest difference in sound.

I would pair your catless with an axelback. Alot of people say they like mpe and remus paired with catless,

I agree, I do have some drone on the highway with the resonator delete but it doesn't bother me. The major difference when I did my resonator delete was the pops and burbles I got, sounds amazing!
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #6
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

This. I had this setup for a year, it sucked

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #7
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
[B]

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

What are you running?
      05-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #8
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
[B]

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

What are you running?
Now I'm catless with stock exhaust in place

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #9
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Now I'm catless with stock exhaust in place
so you didnt like mpe with catless or mpe catless and res delete?