F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Bringing in car under warranty
Extreme Powerhouse

05-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F34

Bringing in car under warranty

I'll be bringing car to the dealership under warranty for an issue with creaking from the passenger area. Question is does the dealer pull a carfax on the vehicle? Or some sort of history report? Secondly how do you guys successfully get your complaints resolved under warranty? Any tips and tricks?

Appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #2
SBM1206
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 540i xDrive

I don't understand what carfax has to do with all this.

You bring your car in, you tell the SA that there is a creaking sound and tell them that you would like this to be fixed. They go and fix it.
They may ask for details, etc. but as long as the sound is reproducible and they agree that it is present they will try to fix it and probably will fix it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #3
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Oh idk say there was damaged reported to the front bumper and you state the front parking sensor doesn't work..
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #4
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
To my knowledge they don't pull Carfax report, but warranty covers stuff that should work but doesn't, through no fault of your own. If you state the PDC doesn't work, but it's obvious your bumper is damaged, I doubt they would cover it. Your bumper won't crack spontaneously without you doing anything, so it means you did something to it. In that context it would be insurance that would need to cover cost. If your PDC doesn't work and your car is in perfect condition, I don't see why they wouldn't cover it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 08:56 PM   #5
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailec View Post
To my knowledge they don't pull Carfax report, but warranty covers stuff that should work but doesn't, through no fault of your own. If you state the PDC doesn't work, but it's obvious your bumper is damaged, I doubt they would cover it. Your bumper won't crack spontaneously without you doing anything, so it means you did something to it. In that context it would be insurance that would need to cover cost. If your PDC doesn't work and your car is in perfect condition, I don't see why they wouldn't cover it.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Bumper has no damage anymore its been cleared. As for the rear passenger creaking noise, I did vinyl wrap my chrome trim black. My concern is maybe they'll state that is the issue. Which clearly is not. Everyone on this forum thats had the issue knows its the inner door seal. Some issues through dealer resolved with complete seal replacements, gumni fledge and some combination of dealer applied tape.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 09:06 PM   #6
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribalpinoy911 View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Bumper has no damage anymore its been cleared. As for the rear passenger creaking noise, I did vinyl wrap my chrome trim black. My concern is maybe they'll state that is the issue. Which clearly is not. Everyone on this forum thats had the issue knows its the inner door seal. Some issues through dealer resolved with complete seal replacements, gumni fledge and some combination of dealer applied tape.
Hard to say and everyone's experience will be different. That being said I don't know how vinyl wrap could be stated as a cause for creaking so I think you're good.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #7
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I hope they take my word when I explain what I know it to be, but lets stop that dream right now. Chances are they'll lube it or whatever and it'll return after a few days in which ill have to drive back wait a month for an open appt on a Saturday etc etc.

I think all door seals need replaced car only has 23k miles but the wind noise at highway speeds is unacceptable. I've driven another F34 same age/miles/ tirewheel setup and its noticeably quieter at highway speeds.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 10:42 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Bumper has no damage anymore its been cleared.
As they have to pull bumper to get to PDC, if you don’t think they can see bumper has been repainted, you are fooling yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 07:53 AM   #9
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Bumper has no damage anymore its been cleared.
As they have to pull bumper to get to PDC, if you don't think they can see bumper has been repainted, you are fooling yourself.
Ah, excellent observation.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #10
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Was the bumper repaired while you owned the vehicle? if yes - the repair bill of materials should include a line item with PDC sensor (if it was also damaged). In this case, PDC sensor would be covered by the repair warranty. Very interested in your experience. Please post an update after the dealer visit.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 11:12 PM   #11
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Just bring it in and find out. We can spin dealership yarns all day and it will make naught a difference in your situation.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #12
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Just bring it in and find out. We can spin dealership yarns all day and it will make naught a difference in your situation.
Sheesh. Patience my friend I have to wait another week for the appointment.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #13
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry didn't mean to come off as being short. Creeks and squeaks are often difficult to diagnose even in person. You can drive yourself crazy thinking about all the things it could be and how to solve it. FYI my car was in the dealership for a week while they tracked it down. Took the rear shelf completely apart etc. found out it was somewhere in the floor under the car. They fixed it, but it took awhile. I was persistent but patient. I had a great SA that wouldn't let the car leave without a through job that thankfully in this eliminated the noise.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 06:38 PM   #14
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry didn't mean to come off as being short. Creeks and squeaks are often difficult to diagnose even in person. You can drive yourself crazy thinking about all the things it could be and how to solve it. FYI my car was in the dealership for a week while they tracked it down. Took the rear shelf completely apart etc. found out it was somewhere in the floor under the car. They fixed it, but it took awhile. I was persistent but patient. I had a great SA that wouldn't let the car leave without a through job that thankfully in this eliminated the noise.
I can only hope to get an SA like yours. Hopefully I can leave it with them if it doesn't get resolved right after the first try so that they can give me a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 11:08 PM   #15
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I can only hope to get an SA like yours. Hopefully I can leave it with them if it doesn't get resolved right after the first try so that they can give me a loaner.
FYI at my dealership you can call the evening prior to your appointment and reserve a specific loaner. So long as you had already made an appointment and requested a loaner. They had a nice 440i GC waiting for me!

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 11:19 PM   #16
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I don't know if this is a Canadian thing, but here they do not provide loaners if you didn't buy your car from the dealership doing the service. It's annoying because you're being penalized for buying your car somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 12:17 AM   #17
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
I don't know if this is a Canadian thing, but here they do not provide loaners if you didn't buy your car from the dealership doing the service. It's annoying because you're being penalized for buying your car somewhere else.
Actually, even the Dealership you purchased is not legally required to give you a loaner car. It’s a “courtesy”.

Service at another Dealership is certainly not required, but is certainly wise if they want you bringing in your Bimmer for service there. However, I find they are less likely to provide a BMW (instead, some Enterprise POS Rental) for you if they do provide a loaner.

And if you go in without an appointment, all bets are off at any Dealership.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 06:54 AM   #18
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Actually, even the Dealership you purchased is not legally required to give you a loaner car. It’s a “courtesy”.

Service at another Dealership is certainly not required, but is certainly wise if they want you bringing in your Bimmer for service there. However, I find they are less likely to provide a BMW (instead, some Enterprise POS Rental) for you if they do provide a loaner.

And if you go in without an appointment, all bets are off at any Dealership.
I'm sure they're not legally required to. But when I come in for warranty work that will take longer and I have an appointment, I just find it annoying the I had to have bought the car from the same dealership. One even told me that they only give them out from Monday TO Thursday. Though I don't want to ever be in for repairs if possible, the few times I've been in I was kinda looking forward to getting a loaner for a car I don't own so I could test drive it. No dice so far.
Appreciate 0