BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Bimmercode changed VIN ?

05-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #1
gallahadd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Exclamation Bimmercode changed VIN ?

This is my first post on the site.

I traded in a 2017 Tesla Model S after I had 7+ trips to the service dept in 6 months (long story) for a 2018 BMW M2. This is my first BMW to own and drive. I have had it 12 days and just got it back from getting XPEL wrapped and Cermanic Pro put on it. After sales reps, and forums, other owners mentioned that M cars are meant to be tuned, raced, tracked, etc and people talking about coding missing features or turning off features like ASD that I decided to give it a try.

I downloaded the Bimmercode and Bimmerlink app for iOS and decided to change a few things. I changed the ASD off, enabled mirrors to fold in, doors to unlock when power off, turned off legal warning and did the video while in motion. All of these were done through the Simple commands and never went into Expert mode.

Everything seemed to be ok with those and when looking through other areas of the settings I saw one for, give a warning for curb and grass on the Front Camera System options. When I hit code, it messed up during the coding and gave a fault. When I tried to go back into that area, it wanted to restore so tried that and it failed to restore.

I decided to take it to the shop as I had no idea what to do next and figured it would just need to be reset. However when the techs started to look at it today they said that when they pulled the software it gave a different VIN then is what my car is and that they will have to contact BMW about how to fix and that they will have to probably rebuild the entire software functions of the car one by one.

They then went into the whole, Bimmercode is not a BMW app and that I probably just voided my entire warranty (I just paid for the upgrade 6-year 100,000-mile warranty).

From my understanding, Bimmercode does not change VINs it just reads your VIN and allows you to make changes based on that correct? I didn't do anything in expert mode so now I am worried about what my options are as they will not be able to do more with the car until Monday.

Any advice? This is at the BMW of Alexandria if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallahadd View Post
Any advice?
I understand that this is your first post and all but you posted a bimmercode app question in a wallpapers thread...

If you want a helpful response you need to post it in the appropriate section of the forum:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1338157
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
gallahadd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
I understand that this is your first post and all but you posted a bimmercode app question in a wallpapers thread...

If you want a helpful response you need to post it in the appropriate section of the forum:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1338157
sorry about that, some reason when I created an account and clicked new post, it went to this thread. Trying to see where I can post it too as I am not allowed to make a new thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallahadd View Post
This is my first post on the site.

I traded in a 2017 Tesla Model S after I had 7+ trips to the service dept in 6 months (long story) for a 2018 BMW M2. This is my first BMW to own and drive. I have had it 12 days and just got it back from getting XPEL wrapped and Cermanic Pro put on it. After sales reps, and forums, other owners mentioned that M cars are meant to be tuned, raced, tracked, etc and people talking about coding missing features or turning off features like ASD that I decided to give it a try.

I downloaded the Bimmercode and Bimmerlink app for iOS and decided to change a few things. I changed the ASD off, enabled mirrors to fold in, doors to unlock when power off, turned off legal warning and did the video while in motion. All of these were done through the Simple commands and never went into Expert mode.

Everything seemed to be ok with those and when looking through other areas of the settings I saw one for, give a warning for curb and grass on the Front Camera System options. When I hit code, it messed up during the coding and gave a fault. When I tried to go back into that area, it wanted to restore so tried that and it failed to restore.

I decided to take it to the shop as I had no idea what to do next and figured it would just need to be reset. However when the techs started to look at it today they said that when they pulled the software it gave a different VIN then is what my car is and that they will have to contact BMW about how to fix and that they will have to probably rebuild the entire software functions of the car one by one.

They then went into the whole, Bimmercode is not a BMW app and that I probably just voided my entire warranty (I just paid for the upgrade 6-year 100,000-mile warranty).

From my understanding, Bimmercode does not change VINs it just reads your VIN and allows you to make changes based on that correct? I didn't do anything in expert mode so now I am worried about what my options are as they will not be able to do more with the car until Monday.

Any advice? This is at the BMW of Alexandria if that helps.
Bimmercode would be a pretty amazing app if it change the VIN of your car!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #5
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

It sounds like the car's at the dealer, but you can check the VIN in iDrive. I think it's my vehicle\idrive settings\software update\current software version.

That's from memory, so sorry if that's not exact. It'll only show you the last 7 digits which is plenty to match up with the windshield plate.

You bought the car new, I assume? I wonder if it came this way from the factory?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #6
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Hard to imagine a coding issue could void your entire warranty, it's not like coding increased your power to unsafe levels or blew your diff.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #7
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I would have to think that manufacturers would ensure that the VIN could not be changed by simple coding.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #8
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Never heard of this happening. It's a computer so I suppose anything is possible.

Hmmmm...maybe I can use Bimmercode to change my University grades...Dean's list here I come!
Appreciate 3
AlexCirci496.50
boostm3683.00
Kankles1485.50
      05-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #9
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Never heard of this happening. It's a computer so I suppose anything is possible.

Hmmmm...maybe I can use Bimmercode to change my University grades...Dean's list here I come!
Yea but if the school finds out you coded your mirrors with bimmercode they could throw you out for cheating and void your diploma! It's a computers so it's capable of anything, it will be up to you to prove to them a computer can't be used to cheat!
Appreciate 2
F87_LCI1787.00
boostm3683.00
      05-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

No way this is true. You could then buy a new computer, and flash it to your VIN with much less mileage if so.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #11
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think the dealership was just making shit up. Either way he said he resolved the issue in another thread.

Warranty is intact but it cost him $667 out of pocket for the 5 hours it took to recode the car. Sucks but could have been worse I guess.

I had a "good faith" recode done for free when I had a coding issue. Guess it just depends on your dealer.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #12
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
I think the dealership was just making shit up. Either way he said he resolved the issue in another thread.

Warranty is intact but it cost him $667 out of pocket for the 5 hours it took to recode the car. Sucks but could have been worse I guess.

I had a "good faith" recode done for free when I had a coding issue. Guess it just depends on your dealer.
If he paid for human labor while the computer did the update, he deserved it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #13
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Damn, if Bimmercode could of change VINs; I'd be driving a Lamborghini Murcielago right now, for the cost of a used Honda Civic

The dealer is full of it.. Been there..

You guys coding, make sure you know what you're doing; de-coding one feature sometimes affect another. Like for example; de-code "Auto-Headlights" it disables the front camera and every other feature connected to the camera.

I just helped someone in the 2er forum because he de-code ASD and when tried to add it back, it didn't work.. He has to replace the whole ASD amp And software update, to get it working again..

Not trying to scare anyone because Bimmercode is 100% safe if you know how each change affects other..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #14
djarchow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

I just helped someone in the 2er forum because he de-code ASD and when tried to add it back, it didn't work.. He has to replace the whole ASD amp And software update, to get it working again..

Not trying to scare anyone because Bimmercode is 100% safe if you know how each change affects other..
So coding the ASD off on an M2 results in needing to replace the amp and get a software update if you want to turn it back on? I was going to do this with Carly rather than tear apart the trunk to put the ASD delete harness on.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #15
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
Originally Posted by djarchow View Post
Quote:

So coding the ASD off on an M2 results in needing to replace the amp and get a software update if you want to turn it back on? I was going to do this with Carly rather than tear apart the trunk to put the ASD delete harness on.

Thanks!
This cannot possibly be normal.
Appreciate 1
Dabozo624.50
      05-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #16
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!
NP, btw just to clarify, he didn't turn it off, he tried to change it from a 235 soundtrack to a M4 ASD. Not sure if that made a difference but that was the fact and it stopped functioning altogether...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 01:46 PM   #17
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
So but under normal circumstances i can turn it off and back on with bimmercode?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 02:08 PM   #18
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!
NP, btw just to clarify, he didn't turn it off, he tried to change it from a 235 soundtrack to a M4 ASD. Not sure if that made a difference but that was the fact and it stopped functioning altogether...
Well then I guess coding my M2 to sound like the M8 is out of the question.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 02:14 PM   #19
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
So but under normal circumstances i can turn it off and back on with bimmercode?
Yes, but you can't just flip it on and off, the only way to turn it back on is to restore a backup that was automatically made before you shut it off.

The only bad thing about this is that you have to redo everything else you've coded after you initially shut ASD off.
Appreciate 3
ORIGIN M.3160.50
///M Houbi1655.00
      06-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #20
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, but you can't just flip it on and off, the only way to turn it back on is to restore a backup that was automatically made before you shut it off.

The only bad thing about this is that you have to redo everything else you've coded after you initially shut ASD off.
Thanks a lot for the explanation
Appreciate 0